Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 13:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469
Recommendations to temporarily fill in gouge below waterline

Hi all,
My sailboat (made in 2013) was in the Bahamas and damaged by Dorian. Boat fell on its side. Finally had it lifted upright and getting ready to motor it back to Florida. It looks like when it fell over, one of the stands put a large gouge in the side. It did not penetrate all the way through but it would be good to fill it in prior to getting the boat in the water, both for hull integrity as well as minimizing water getting into the fiberglass and causing future problems. The boat will hopefully only be in the water a week while I get it to a yard in Florida where they will haul it and make permanent professional repairs.

What would be a good material to use to fill in the gouge to get it to the repair yard? I was thinking maybe MarineTex, but that is permanent and not sure if would cause problems with the subsequent repair. I was also thinking maybe 3M 4200 which wouldn't provide strength but would keep water from intruding and it cures quickly (5200 would take way too long to cure for the time I can spare).

Thanks for any thoughts. Also please let me know if the pictures below don't come through.

Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 16:32   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Recommendations to temporarily fill in gouge below waterline

Marine Tex is the right idea for a quick & dirty short-term fix. The other materials you suggest, though they might work, are not well suited for this type of repair. This is not the time to take that sort of chance. Depending upon the size (hard to tell from photo) it might be cheaper to make up a batch of epoxy & microfibers or microbeads and use that. Any of these materials can be ground out later if need be. Do check inside for possible delamination or other stresss fractures that may have occurred. Inner linings can sometimes hide other serious problems that might need to be addressed before launching.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 17:26   #3

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran
Re: Recommendations to temporarily fill in gouge below waterline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
Hi all,

My sailboat (made in 2013) was in the Bahamas and damaged by Dorian. Boat fell on its side. Finally had it lifted upright and getting ready to motor it back to Florida. It looks like when it fell over, one of the stands put a large gouge in the side. It did not penetrate all the way through but it would be good to fill it in prior to getting the boat in the water, both for hull integrity as well as minimizing water getting into the fiberglass and causing future problems. The boat will hopefully only be in the water a week while I get it to a yard in Florida where they will haul it and make permanent professional repairs.

What would be a good material to use to fill in the gouge to get it to the repair yard? I was thinking maybe MarineTex, but that is permanent and not sure if would cause problems with the subsequent repair. I was also thinking maybe 3M 4200 which wouldn't provide strength but would keep water from intruding and it cures quickly (5200 would take way too long to cure for the time I can spare).

Thanks for any thoughts. Also please let me know if the pictures below don't come through.

Checkout the West System Six10. One tube would be plenty if you can get it.

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty...poxy-adhesive/
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, water