Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2024, 09:36   #1

Boat: Rival 34
Reducing the cost of two pack painting

Every now and then I need to do a small touch up job on my boat. The smallest available cans of two pack paint would do nicely - except that as soon as you open the hardener can it never again seals properly and you end up wasting loads for a small job. These manufacturers are never happier than when they can keep their hand in your pocket. It would not be beyond their wit to deliver the stuff in a container adequate for the task.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I generally use a syringe to extract the correct amount of hardener in order not to get it on the can rim, hoping for a better seal. I don’t know if sealing the entire can in a plastic bag with some silica gel packs might help. I’ve thought of seeking out automotive paint hardener and trying that as it may be cheaper for the same stuff. Anyone tried this?

Are there any new empty small containers available that could be used to store the product more efficiently?

Have I missed a really easy way to do small two pack jobs?
Jeffrey1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 19:25   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Reducing the cost of two pack painting

Are you talking about Interlux Perfection?

The hardener can, to me, was a one time opening. Or maybe twice. I've never seen a paint can lid made of thinner metal, which quickly was bent out of shape.

Great paint, though.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 19:57   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I have had the same problem BUT I have just read this.

Does liquid hardener go bad?

The hardener oxidizes from oxygen which can discolor it slowly while stored over time. Sometimes the user believes it is not good (hence throwing away). Reality is the material may still be good, but just does not look the same. As always, please test a small amount prior to any large installations.

https://www.theepoxyresinstore.com/b...resin-products

AND

Placing plastic over the can before closing the lid will help keep the paint airtight. You can use cling film or cut a circle out of a plastic bag. Pull it over the opening so it's slightly stretched, but make sure it doesn't tear; otherwise, air will get in and spoil the paint.

https://www.diy.com/ideas--advice/pa...to-store-paint
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 22:37   #4

Boat: Columbia 50

You can get argon in a can - it’s used to displace the air in paints and finishes when you reseal the cans.

https://www.amazon.com/Bloxygen-Pres.../dp/B01N4IL6T3

You can also go buy a bunch of little bottles and divy up your hardener into the proper quantity to kick an ounce or two into each bottle, leaving them sealed until needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Bekith-Boston...282735&sr=8-16

Bottles of all sizes are available if you look around - you can make up one-shot kits by divvying up the paint too…..say, 3oz of perfection in a 4oz bottle, 1oz kicker in a 1oz, you’ll get 8 one-shots to the can, for a relatively minor investment and a bit of time. It makes working a lot easier, too, as all your measuring is already taken care of.

I do this with varnish - a 1 liter can of epiphanes goes into 4 8oz mason jars right to the brim, all get sealed right away, and I work through them one at a time - no glop, no ruined half cans, etc.

Cheers,

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 22:46   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I used to get varnish and paint in 1 gal cans.
Then I would get 1qt. and 1pt. empty cans from a paint store and decant the 1gal. containers into the smaller ones.
Sealing lids?
Go around the groove of the can, punch a few small holes with an icepick.
When re-sealing, (making sure groove is well cleaned first,) press down in the center of the lid whilst you go around the rim with light taps closely spaced until the lid seats to its original height.
With paint/varnish, a tablespoon or so of thinner laid over the surface of the contents will really help storage, (try not to disturb the contents after putting the lid on).
With Dolphinite, you store it with the can upside down after putting a dash of thinner in the can.
Hardeners for 2-part stuff than comes in a can with a lid, (like Perfection,) decant the contents into a can with a screw-top lid.
Old 28-04-2024, 01:52   #6

Some GREAT tips here! Thank you to everyone who contributed. These will make an expensive product go a very long way. I see an argon product called Bloxygen in the US - not available in the UK but an alternative is a can of pure argon called Preservintage for wines and food.
Old 28-04-2024, 05:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey1950 View Post
Some GREAT tips here! Thank you to everyone who contributed ...
INDEED!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 20:06   #8

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Argon, get some at a welder supply shop. It is used for welding aluminum.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 21:04   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have found a wrap of ALUMINUM duct tape around the lid will seal practicaly anything, no matter how bad the rim. The aluminum tape, unlike vinyl tape, is gas-diffusion proof.
Old 28-04-2024, 21:09   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I wonder if ANY type of canned air dust-off spray would not work as well. None contain oxygen or anything reactive.
Old 28-04-2024, 21:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Jeff, the problems are if someone stores it for a long time then it doesn't set properly, the manufacturer is blamed. Also they are in the market of selling paint. You saving it rather than buying new tins each time isn't really a good marketing strategy. If you were a share holder in the company what would you want them to do?

However, I do feel your pain. Sikaflex is another one that goes off the minute you turn you back on it.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Jeff, the problems are if someone stores it for a long time then it doesn't set properly, the manufacturer is blamed. Also they are in the market of selling paint. You saving it rather than buying new tins each time isn't really a good marketing strategy. If you were a share holder in the company what would you want them to do?

However, I do feel your pain. Sikaflex is another one that goes off the minute you turn you back on it.
I’m posting as a consumer. Shareholders are also welcome to post with their justification of ripping off consumers.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:31   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

I've never had a problem.

With Interlux perfection, it is not necessary to remove the lid of the hardener. Just use the pour spout built into the lid, which seals effectively. The hardener does not separate and does not have to be stirred before use.

However, it is my understanding that Perfection is being discontinued.

With Awlgrip, hardener is purchased separately in a square metal can with a screw top, and seals readily. Awlgrip does not blend as well for touch up but can still be used.

Any paint, including one pack, has a limited shelf life and begins to deteriorate a year or two after manufacture. The speed of deterioration depends on temperature, whether it has been opened, and other factors. As a rule I try to use up leftover two-pack within a year or two of opening it and discard leftovers at the nearest household hazardous waste facility after that.
Old 06-05-2024, 14:01   #14

Boat: 28 bristol channel cutter

I drill a 1/4 hole in side of can just below top rim.pour out from that plug with small cork or tape. Never open stupid lid arrangement.
doug cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 02:05   #15

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

If the hardener "goes off" why not use a hardener for another paint/product you have in your stock? I don't see the problem.

Seriously, when my Son and I were painting the deck of Helen we got the hardener for the primer coat mixed up with the hardener for the final coat. And it worked well: no problems.

When I looked at the hardener product description they were entirely different products.

Maybe not too surprising because the paint supplier offered a choice of three different hardeners. Super fast (for spray painting) a medium hardener (for roll-n-tip?) and a slow hardener.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint