Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2022, 17:12   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Reefer Refit-Vaccume Panels

I'm considering rebuilding the refrigeration compartment on my sailboat. This will be the third time I have torn apart and rebult a box, so I'm not new to the process. I am familiar with the foam sheet goods and aerogel-but I don't have experience with vacuume panels. Unless I shrink the box (which I dont want to do) I dont have a lot of space for foam and the panels claim to afford r40 in a 1" thick panel. The existing space allows for two inches of insulation so I figured 1" of blue foam and a 1" panel should provide in excess of R40.
I would be interested in hearing from others who have gone the vacuume panel route-would you recommend it? Did you have any failures?
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 17:30   #2

Re: Reefer Refit-Vaccume Panels

R40 for 1" might be pushing the advertising a little. If you only have a 2" space available then obviously two layers of vacuum panels would be the best solution, but at a high cost. You have done this twice before, so weight up the big picture. Remember with voids, joins etc you will not get anywhere near the advertised thermal efficiency.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, refit