Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 15:05   #46

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Refinishing caprail in oil or cetol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
This is a boatyard around the corner from mine - 10 coats of Alwood. Personally, I don't have the time nor the season to be sanding that many coats. I'd rather find something that looks good, has minimal maintenance and sail my boat.

Agreed, I would rather sail too.

I have left my above deck teak unfinished and it looks ok, but if there’s a easy maintenance option to make it look slightly better I would love to try.

The PO used cetol on some area and I don’t like it. That’s why seeing some photos of other options would be nice.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 15:35   #47

Boat: Lagoon 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmontana View Post
Use Messmers. You can get it at any quality paint supply or hardware and stuff is bullet proof. It’s oil with modern UV and water resistant. Super easy to apply, many colors as well as clear and it won’t let teak turn black or fade. Just keep adding more, wood will thank you for it!!
Messmers looks interesting but I’ve never heard of its use outside one post. We have glued down teak in our cockpit and sugar scoops so they get varying degrees of sun thus varying fading. We’ve cleaned w the two step base/acid wash but it just seems raw and open and thirsty for some sort of oil.
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 16:29   #48

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow48 View Post
my boat has given me 25 years of experience with a large (63 ft LOD) vessel that is 100% teak (excepting spars and a few wooden fittings about the deck) and 100% finished bright - excluding the boot top and bottom paint. I’ve tried everything over the years, including various varnishes and oils, as well as bare wood and salt water and scrub brush. The ONLY thing that has worked on “Rainbow” has been Cetol. ALL boats, and ALL finishes, require some degree of maintenance. Once that premise is accepted, the question becomes : what will provided a good finish with the least effort. For me, that has been Cetol, which I’ve been using for nearly 20 years. I use The “Natural Teak” for most of the work, and pick out areas to highlight (waterways and king plank) with the original “Cetol Marine”. Masts have 3 coats of “Natural Teak” with a top coat of “Gloss”. Yearly maintenance on the coatings requires about 2 weeks in the spring. I take everything down to bare wood every five years or so. I should mention that I do all this “single handed”. If anyone is interested in seeing what all this looks like, go to Facebook page : Sailing Ship “Rainbow”, or take a look at WoodenBoat Magazine Nov/Dec 2020 issue # 277.

Rainbow48……. Beautiful ship! I’m getting ready to refit a Westsail 32 I just bought and ordered Cetol Natural Teak a couple days ago. Now I’m 100% happy I chose it after seeing your pics on FB. I used the original formulation with gloss overcoat on my HC 38 in the 90’s and it held up well traveling through Central America for 2.5 years but I was not a huge fan of the orange tint. Can’t wait to see how the natural looks. Thanks for sharing.
Acadia Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil