Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 12:54   #1

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft
Refinishing caprail in oil or cetol

I've stripped the old cetol from my caprails and I'm wavering between refinishing them with oil or back to cetol. My current preference is oil.

The caprails are a combination of teak and mahogany. Assuming I have no issues with the color esthetics nor with the frequency of oil replication, what's the general opinion as to which to choose?

Any recommendations as to best oil to use, how many layers, and frequency of replication?

Also, should I change my mind, what's the prep to remove the oil before applying cetol? Fyi, varnish is not an option.

Thanks as always for your inputs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:20   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Refinishing caprail in oil or cetol

I have always used cetol, and it lasted me many years in the tropics with just an early touch up coat after abrading with green scotch brite. On bare wood I lay 4 coats of (Cetol) Marine Natural Teak and 3 coats of clear gloss.
I oiled once, never again as it tends to turn black over time and to remove it its a pita.
So, there you go, choose wisely.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:30   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I'm unclear why you say to discount the frequency of application, other than that, the only difference appears to be how it looks, and that is a strictly personal decision. The only other consideration might be if you plan to walk on it - oiled wood will provide better footing when wet. I use Cetol outside and generally find it needs a re-coat every 12-18 months in the tropics. If you oil (in the tropics) you will probably need to re-oil it every 3 or 4 months! That seems like a huge difference.

>>Also, should I change my mind, what's the prep to remove the oil
>> before applying cetol

I am no expert on wood finishing, but, I think once you oil it, it will be difficult to get some paints to stick. I did have an experience doing this indoors with Varnish after oil and got good results (i.e. sanded down some oiled teak wood and re-coated with Varnish). Not sure if Cetol would be different, but I think there may be some issue with Cetol being a water based paint compared to varnish which actually has oil in it, so I think going from Oil -> Cetol may be harder than going from Oil -> Varnish.

PS. I grew up in Port Wash, got my start boating there. Great place!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:39   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

The Cetol I buy is definetely not water based, it is oil based, so if the teak is still in good condition after you apply the oil, abrade and Cetol over it. I mentioned it is a pita to remove if it has already turned blackish.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:52   #5

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

I also started to read about semco teak sealer, so any thoughts?

My hesitancy re cetol are several. With 4 coats, the buildup creates problems when moving t-rail attachments. Also, when water seeps into crevices it discolor the wood and raises the cetol coating.

My thoughts are that if I treat the caprails with teak sealer, my current preference based on reviews, I will get wood protection, color retention (I'm not a fan of the weathered gray, though I can live with it), and avoid the build-up thus easing movement of the slides on the T-rail.

Still looking for feedback.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:58   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I would go with the sealer. if you like it then stick with it. semco is water based. I plan on trying it on some of my teak this summer. you can also varnish or cetol over the sealer.
Old 03-04-2022, 14:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
The Cetol I buy is definetely not water based, it is oil based, so if the teak is still in good condition after you apply the oil, abrade and Cetol over it. I mentioned it is a pita to remove if it has already turned blackish.
Thank you for clarifying that. Not sure why I thought that it was water based, should have checked before I wrote. Should be no different than using varnish after cleaning up the oiled wood.
Old 03-04-2022, 14:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzej0nl1ne View Post
My hesitancy re cetol are several. With 4 coats, the buildup creates problems when moving t-rail attachments. Also, when water seeps into crevices it discolor the wood and raises the cetol coating.
This is a very good point. I also have this problem with track slides on the caprail. We make extra effort each time we re-coat to sand down as much as possible the paint under the lip of the T track. We are not always successful.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

If it is teak DO NOT ruin it with any coating! Just use saltwater and a soft brush, if possible daily but weekly should be enough. Do NOT sand teak unless it is absolutely necessary (new chaulking).

Remeber: a teak deck i.e. will outrun 20.000 USD if you have to renew it.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:57   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

White paint has always been my favourite varnish/oil. If you really like the timber look then your local sign writer could print of some timber looking vinyl wrap.
Cheers
https://www.conceptwraps.com.au/2020...-applications/
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:13   #11

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I plan on trying Semco this time around for my exterior teak. I have varnished for years but I just don't want the labor this time. From what I have read "supposedly" Semco will wear off and I can simply re-apply as needed. Being water-based clean up is also supposed to be pretty easy.

We shall see !
Old 04-04-2022, 03:20   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Oil finishes are good for interior teak but not exterior. The oil promotes the growth of fungus and mold which turns teak splotchy and black. Then you have to clean, bleach, sand and then re oil. Ruining the teak thickness over time

The best thing for teak is to do as little as possible. I varnish cap rails, use Cetol on toe rails that have square corners and will not keep varnish in tack.

On my teak deck and bowsprit I leave natural and wash with salt water or bleach. These areas remain a nice silver. FYI, salt water kills mold and fungus, fresh water promotes both. I like all these finishes, they are appropriate when used properly and maintained. But I never oil exterior teak.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Which "Cetol" are users recommending?
FWIW: Sikkens ‘Cetol’ comes in a variety of formulations [for different applications]:
https://www.sikkens-wood-coatings.com/products

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:58   #14

Location: Brisbane Australia, heading west after cyclone season
Boat: 2015 Hylas 56

We made the change to Semco last September on our toe rail, bow sprit and companionway hatch and are very happy we did. We reapply to the Toe rail every few months to freshen it up and only with just a wash down to remove the salt. You can do a light sanding but we haven't. We apply to the 50' toe rail and it takes about 15 minutes. No taping or prep. We spent the season in the Caribbean and we coudn't keep up with the varnish (all wood) on the toe rail. With the Semco you can use a straight color or mix the colors. We are using the honey now and it looks great. We started with the natural color. We also did the sliding hatch in the companionway and have not reapplied in 7 months. Even though it was hard to remove the varnish from the toe rail, we would do it again and wished we changed over to Semco sooner.
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:28   #15

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Which "Cetol" are users recommending?
FWIW: Sikkens ‘Cetol’ comes in a variety of formulations [for different applications]:
https://www.sikkens-wood-coatings.com/products

I'm using Sikkens Cetol HLSE 077 (pine timber finish) on Nyatoh timber caprail and it is the best product I've tried so far.

https://www.envirocoatingsaustralia....ens-cetol-hlse
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil