Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35   #16

Boat: CT-47
Re: Refit 45 foot monohull

Thank you all for your advice, I appreciate the thoughts and experiance from sailors of this forum.
@ MShea very valuable advice ... Due to the Chinese great (fire)wall I am unable to open your blog...what a pain.
Does anyone have a inventory list of their re fit? Would save an awful lot of time to list all the bits and bobs.... I do not expect it to be a copy past job for our project, but as a good reference.
The advantage living in SE Asia are the labor costs ... I expect about 20% of the hardware / material costs are going to be labor costs ... This is a rough guide from friends having done the same before and other situations such as major car repairs, apartment renovations and so on.
I would be at the yard every 2 weeks and at the beginning for 2 -3 weeks to see how things are progressing.
Appointing a project manager is especially here in asia absolutely essential.

We will see now if we can get the boat, if so, I am sure I will be back with more questions and a regular update of the project.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 13:07   #17

I agree with the stranded tinned wire but not the crimping. Heat shrink is easier for sure. I read The Twelve Volt Doctor and found it very well written and knowledgeable.
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 13:46   #18
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

The old crimped verses soldered debate rears its ugly head.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 17:41   #19

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gablio.

Type 3 Stranded (not braided), tinned copper wire, with crimped terminations (not soldered), finished with adhesive-lined heat shrink (not tape).
For minimum wire sizing for differing circuits
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...r&imageuser=79

And ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...r&imageuser=79
Hear, hear Gord! Solder is not a good idea on boat wiring. Hardens the wire if any solder wicks past the connector and then creates a stiff wire that is subject to fatigue with the constant motion of a boat. A well applied crimp with a proper ratchet crimper is the recommendation.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 20:14   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I've been doing Boracay for the past five years (see blog).

Quote:
I am sure quite a few sailors on this board had similar projects done and we would appreciate a rough price indication to have the above mentioned work done. if anyone possesses a "inventory list" it would be helpful as well.
Our expectations are " well done but not luxury"
Any input would be appreciated.
"Re wiring throughout, new heads and water system hot and cold, new electronics, partly new interior due to the re wiring and plumbing, new through hulls" - This is all skilled work, so budget for top workers here.

I was in Hong Kong a few months ago and most prices were compareable with Australia. I don't know China but I'd be surprised if they came less than $US70 p/h. I'd expect that you'll have to import all parts and materials.

"Mast rigging seems ok from what we know." - Replacing standing rigging should be a given.

"Running gear needs partial replacement, winches servicing as well as windlass." - Might as well do running rigging at the same time, you'll want self tailing winches and if you're not a spring chicken electric on the main winches should be considered.

"Would like to prepare for air conditioning but not install at present due to the cost." - The few thousand that you'll save here is as drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost.

Boracay came as a bare hull with mast rigging and three sails My parts and materials estimate is that I'm in for $60k, and that's getting the cheapest available in almost every case. If you're not personally checking every penny this could easily double or even triple.

I'm looking at 5,000 hours so far, and that's doing a "rush" job. I could have easily spent double that without being a perfectionist.

I've got a new engine, but you're looking at a 30 year old boat so I doubt if the engine is going to be that good. I paid about $20k for my John Deere 4045 with bits, and took 3 months to do a basic install - say 300 hours.

My guess is that as a project and paying others to do the work this will cost about the same as a new sailaway production boat with most bells and whistles.

If I were in your place I'd keep my money in my pocket and look for a local boat around 30'. When the time came to move on (assuming you're a foreigner) I'd buy a new or very good secondhand boat then.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monohull, refit