Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 17:18   #451

Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Hi CPA,
This is an old thread but I have a little to offer . I have not read all 18 pages yet but will so possibly you know much of what I write.
I worked for Eric Bongers for a summer in 1979. He ran Compass Marine, in the strand east of cape town. He was son of Pops Bongers who was a legend as a designer/builder of yachts of his own design and others , check out the thread about yacht ‘outburst’ ,some great posts of folks who new the family well. Eric and his brother( bobby) married sisters, but Bobbys wife died from cancer. Bobby and later his son charles were/are very active ocean racing sailors. ERIC got seasick on big boats so rarely sailed offshore but sailed a Finn in the 65 olympics. Eric's son later tookover compass marine, building commercial boats including catamarans. They had a fire and lost a lot in maybe 2000’s but I don’t think was able to restart the company.
When I was there Eric was building the last of 6-7 wooden coldmolded compass 47’ designed by Anglo Lavranos . It was used as the plug for the molds for the fiberglass versions. I was helping with some fiberglass projects and other things during the time I was there.( it was a summer job while I was at a boatbuilding college in UK).
While I was there we were building the interior of the first fiberglass hull with the deck off as the deck mold was being made off the wood boat. We later fitted the first deck while I was there. I remember filling the hull to deck joint/toerail with a fiberglass filler and probably helped glass over the joint inside.
This boat had a wide yellow strip on the hull side , bit odd, but apparently it was going into the charter trade. This boat had a regular shaft drive but we were discussing the new fangled saildrives available with bigger engines suitable for this 47’er. He did later fit the later boats with them. Simpler and cheaper to install. We also fitted an engine driven AC unit which I have never see since but thought a good idea.
We also fitted a teak deck that was glued to a glued down marine ply deck overlay so there were no thru deck fasteners to cause leaks!
You may also have found in you boat there are few limber holes. Eric believed it was better to let water accumulate where it leaked in so you could more easily trace the leak.
I did get to race on table bay on one of the wood versions. Sailed well , I think we won!
I did have a sales brochure but not been able to find.
Cheers warren
Warren149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 19:21   #452

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^

Warren,

Cpa has not been around lately. If you click on his avatar screen name, one option in the drop down menu is to send him an e-mail. That might work better, if you want to contact him.

Ann
Old 01-04-2024, 13:29   #453

Hi guys! How are you doing! I recently bought a Compass 47, here in French Polynesia. She has been abandoned and she is in pretty bad shape so I am putting all my efforts to refit her once again.
I am now taking care of her deck, scrapping the damaged gel coat and fixing the all cracks with resine. I will paint her afterwards with a two part Hempel paint sold over here. Do you have any advice on this subject? 🤔
In any case, I would love to stay in contact with you for any question or help I could give. We could even create a Compass 47 owners group. My whatsapp number is +68987326729
Cheers! Esteban
Stban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 13:33   #454

Her name is Sv Phoenix
Unfortunately I don't know her hull number

You can follow me on noforeignland app

https://www.noforeignland.com/boat/6628682292527104

Or Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/the_sailing_phoenix?igsh=MWttdXg4MTUzd3N5cQ==
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220926_161046.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	288360  
Old 01-04-2024, 13:38   #455

Wow! You are doing/ did great a great job! This encourages me to get myself to work too! Thank you!
Old 03-04-2024, 13:12   #456

Boat: Anchor Yachts, Compass 47 "Enigma"

I am ok, yet using the boat, need a shroud changing now
gerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2024, 17:30   #457

Hi guys ! How are you? I recently bought my Compass 47. Her name is Phoenix and she was abandoned here in French Polynesia. I am trying to get her registered under the Polish flag and they are asking me for the builder CE CERTIFICATE. Do any of you have this certificate and can share it with me?
I would be eternally thankful ����
Cheers,
Esteban - SV Phoenix
estebanggalvez@gmail.com
Old 28-07-2024, 07:46   #458

You are not going to find a CE (european comunite builders certificate, its a south african boat and from some years ago
Old 28-07-2024, 14:32   #459

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

So, CE means something like Certificat European? Thanks.

Ann
Old 29-07-2024, 12:54   #460

you dont need it
Old 29-07-2024, 13:03   #461

send to me the baot details, in what yard it was produced, when (date), hull number if you know and first owner
I will try to get one to you from South Africa

Tags
compass