Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2020, 00:36   #136

Re: Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It's a good water heater - the only 12 volt model as far as I know. 25 amps @ 12 volts to heat it up.

600 dollars is not a lot for a water heater.

It was designed for outboard powered boats without the ability to use the engine's heat exchanger for use underway.

Then I may just go ahead and purchase it. Wasn’t really in the budget but want to give mom the comfort of a hot shower every now and then. I guess I will need a second pump for the hot water as well.
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 00:40   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
Then I may just go ahead and purchase it. Wasn’t really in the budget but want to give mom the comfort of a hot shower every now and then. I guess I will need a second pump for the hot water as well.
You only need one pump for a pressure water system with both hot and cold water.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 00:43   #138

I haven’t received the one I ordered yet. Does it have 2 separate connections? Or is it installed inline in a way that provides pressure to both water lines?
Old 23-10-2020, 06:36   #139
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
I haven’t received the one I ordered yet. Does it have 2 separate connections? Or is it installed inline in a way that provides pressure to both water lines?
It pressures the water after the water tank.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 07:02   #140

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Congrats on new baby! I would throw away the old fuel tank. Oil pretty much destroys anything it comes in contact with. Drinking water is important, especially with a newborn on board. Hot water is nice too. But keep in mind at 25 amps, you won't be using it much. I would put that further down the list. Get sailing!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 07:54   #141

Boat: a sailing boat

Congratulations on the baby! That's joy!

As for converting diesel to water, I would not. Somehow I cannot imagine an ex-diesel tank not leaving odd smell and taste to water. Perhaps just limitation of my imagination though.

You can get warm water from a small water heater run off a genset. Or you can buy 2, maybe 3 black plastic shower bags and hang them in the sun. Both methods work fine.

One can also boil 1 gallon of water on the gas stove then mix it with 4 gallons of tank 'cold' water and this is as good as having an electric heater.

Cheers,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:01   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Congratulations on the baby! That's joy!

As for converting diesel to water, I would not. Somehow I cannot imagine an ex-diesel tank not leaving odd smell and taste to water. Perhaps just limitation of my imagination though.

You can get warm water from a small water heater run off a genset. Or you can buy 2, maybe 3 black plastic shower bags and hang them in the sun. Both methods work fine.

One can also boil 1 gallon of water on the gas stove then mix it with 4 gallons of tank 'cold' water and this is as good as having an electric heater.

Cheers,

b.

Thanks! I was thinking of the solar showers I used while camping. That would save me $600. I may toss the tank and replace it seeing as we will need as large of a water supply as possible. I am still trying to locate a good place for the battery bank and thought of using that space.
Old 23-10-2020, 09:22   #143

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Solar showers in a sunny place work really well and are cheap.
Old 23-10-2020, 10:41   #144

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking of the solar showers I used while camping. That would save me $600. I may toss the tank and replace it seeing as we will need as large of a water supply as possible. I am still trying to locate a good place for the battery bank and thought of using that space.

Tank choice will depend on space shape. If it is an easy access and roughly angular space, you can weld a custom tank to fit. Then there is more curvature area, a soft tank can be used. I do not like soft tanks as they are difficult to manage and give odd plastick smell to the water.

In real terms when youa re already at the destination, a couple of polypro tanks on the deck work well too. We use 25 liter ones (6 of them). And these must be covered with canvas hoods - otherwise the UV kills them very fast.

The battery bank is nice to have it low, but in in the deep pint of the bilge - to avoid flooding them early in an emergency case.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 11:33   #145

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Most likely one outlet fitting on pump and fittings in boat to T-off to other devices using pressurized water.

Water on the tank side of pump is not under pressure, do not pressurize this side or tank might crack.

Water on the output side of tank is pressurized, either by pump or 'shore' water

Picture from Sprinter-Source.com RV site for a Flojet pump and strainer.

RV websites are a good source for winterization strategies too.

Congrats on the new little one, hope all are doing fine and you are enjoying time with them during the busy refit and launch.

Old 23-10-2020, 13:12   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Most likely one outlet fitting on pump and fittings in boat to T-off to other devices using pressurized water.

Water on the tank side of pump is not under pressure, do not pressurize this side or tank might crack.

Water on the output side of tank is pressurized, either by pump or 'shore' water

Picture from Sprinter-Source.com RV site for a Flojet pump and strainer.

RV websites are a good source for winterization strategies too.

Congrats on the new little one, hope all are doing fine and you are enjoying time with them during the busy refit and launch.

Awesome! Thanks for the diagram. Exactly what I was looking for
Old 23-10-2020, 13:15   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Tank choice will depend on space shape. If it is an easy access and roughly angular space, you can weld a custom tank to fit. Then there is more curvature area, a soft tank can be used. I do not like soft tanks as they are difficult to manage and give odd plastick smell to the water.

In real terms when youa re already at the destination, a couple of polypro tanks on the deck work well too. We use 25 liter ones (6 of them). And these must be covered with canvas hoods - otherwise the UV kills them very fast.

The battery bank is nice to have it low, but in in the deep pint of the bilge - to avoid flooding them early in an emergency case.

b.

I may weld on in. We will need the extra capacity. I may not have the time for a weld job prior to departure so may leave it empty and see about it in the Out Islands
Old 25-10-2020, 13:12   #148

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch

Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and to sailing. After traveling the world with my wife and always dreaming of sailing away we have taken the plunge and bought a 1980 Alberg 37. The previous owner made it about 1/5th of the way thru the refit and I'll be basically putting it all back together, repainting, rewiring, rerigging, replumbing and a few other things. He included everything that is needed to completely redo the boat from rigging to tools and all parts plus spares. I've sailed once or twice in my life but other than that I have no experience. And to top it all off my wife is 9 months pregnant! I know, I know some people say a disaster waiting to happen. But we haven't spent more than an hour apart in 3 years and have lived, traveled and worked together since the 3rd day we met. But unfortunately I will be handling the refit alone except for the 10-20 hours I have budgeted for assistance from the service department at the yard I will be working in. The goal is for the boat to be able to go in the water in 1 month and ready to sail in 3. I will be working 10 hours or so a day. I know this will be very very difficult but I'm a quick study and have all the motivation in the world. We are flying into the US specifically for this and will be staying at the marina in an RV until we can get her on the water.

What I'm hoping for:
I am hoping to utilize this forums expertise and opinions to help me complete this project under budget and on time. I bought the boat for under $10,000 and it came with almost or over that in brand new parts, electronics and tools. I have another $10,000 for the electric engine (Thunderstruck 18kw $3k), solar setup 1.8k(came with controller, invertor and wind gen), yard time (30/day) and professional services. I know I will be getting a lot of people saying how it can't be done. But once this is done me and my new family can sail away and never look back (we have reisdual income similar to youtube) so I am highly motivated to leave the "real" world as I've hoped to do since I was 12 years old. I'm looking forward to hearing from those who can provide advice and I will update as often as I can. We are flying into the US tomorrow (I bought it after having 2 surveyors take a look) and I will begin working on monday.

Wish me luck!!!

Exciting! And congrats on the little one! This community is amazing, were happy to help out. I myself own an Alberg 30, and the Insurance Salesman who sold my Mother-in-law insurance owns an Alberg 37, so if there is something you need that you cant find on here I could always ask him.

Dan
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 13:23   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPerry View Post
Exciting! And congrats on the little one! This community is amazing, were happy to help out. I myself own an Alberg 30, and the Insurance Salesman who sold my Mother-in-law insurance owns an Alberg 37, so if there is something you need that you cant find on here I could always ask him.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Im running the 12v woring today and gutting all the old AC and other wiring. We will move aboard with the basics (fans, lights, pumps, plumbing and stove). The rest ill work on daily until we are up and running. Dont wanna spend long hours away.
Old 31-10-2020, 19:31   #150

Been super busy with the new baby! But finally getting the toilet and shower hooked up tomorrow and moving aboard Monday. Trying to solve the mosquito and no see um issue for for the baby. Thinking of putting a thermocell in the cockpit and maybe one by the v berth hatch. This should keep them away during the day. Close up everything and just run fans at night. Any other suggestions?

Tags
alberg, refit