Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 13:27   #46

Re: Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
I understand that hence we using a geny if installing electric. This particular scenario is the mail reason I haven’t hit buy yet on the Thunderstruck EV website. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered for emergencies.

*-we. Typos galore
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:28   #47

I prefer the idea of not dragging a diesel engine into the protect marine environments we will be documenting. So I’m very much partial to electric
Old 05-10-2020, 13:43   #48

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
I prefer the idea of not dragging a diesel engine into the protect marine environments we will be documenting. So I’m very much partial to electric
I understand and applaud your attitude. But, you do have a sailboat with a large composting head and pee barrel right? You also don't have copper antifouling, or an anchor that may hit a coral?
I really don't mean to be sarcastic, my point is that for this whole engine conversation, the diesel may the least contributor to the problem. In any case, place everything within context, play it safe and good luck with the project.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:49   #49

Boat: Tartan 37C

I'm in the process of a partial re-fit of my 1980 Tartan 37-C here on Long Island NY. My impression is that if you can do it yourself, you are much better off. Don't wait on unreliable tradesman. The prices you will receive here are out of the Universe. A repaint of the deck, was 30K according to a local yard. Heck, the entire boat isn't worth probably 50K. If you do it yourself, it may take longer but you will know that it was done correctly.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:07   #50

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Not sure about your sailing experience. Regardless the boat, if you don't, join a club with a good training program, including with boats at this size.

Second, the most important investment would be to hire the best surveyor you can get - that will give you an accurate as possible evaluation of the repairs, upgrades etc. that should be done.

The CF is great, but better when you progress, after the above and have more specific questions - and you should have a lot.
Old 05-10-2020, 17:22   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Not sure about your sailing experience. Regardless the boat, if you don't, join a club with a good training program, including with boats at this size.

Second, the most important investment would be to hire the best surveyor you can get - that will give you an accurate as possible evaluation of the repairs, upgrades etc. that should be done.

The CF is great, but better when you progress, after the above and have more specific questions - and you should have a lot.

Survey is done. Seems I was a little worried about nothing when it comes to the timeframe. The previous owner either half completed or fitted everything thats needed. So maybe 3-4 weeks of putting everything back together. Another month or so to make it pretty but that can be done later. Electronics are either new or in working condition. Sails have been used under 10 times with a spare of each. Brand new ground tackle. Windvane, new windlass, radar, and completely remodeled head. Will take me 2 weeks to paint and finish the bottomwork. Just have to figure out which power option I will go with. Ive only got 7k to finish it so the diesel will be a real stretch
Old 06-10-2020, 03:48   #52

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Actually the Alberg 37 is just over 8 tons.
Thanks.

This shows you I probably shouldn't be trying to do reports (spreadsheets) and posting on CF at the same time especially after sailing all weekend and getting little sleep

But the 32 hp is still the correct estimate for 16,000 lb disp boat according many with the 2 hp/1,000 lbs.

Although on my boat I have less than 1 hp / 1,000 lbs.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:53   #53

Quote:
Survey is done. Seems I was a little worried about nothing when it comes to the timeframe. The previous owner either half completed or fitted everything thats needed. So maybe 3-4 weeks of putting everything back together. Another month or so to make it pretty but that can be done later. Electronics are either new or in working condition. Sails have been used under 10 times with a spare of each. Brand new ground tackle. Windvane, new windlass, radar, and completely remodeled head. Will take me 2 weeks to paint and finish the bottomwork. Just have to figure out which power option I will go with. Ive only got 7k to finish it so the diesel will be a real stretch
If you are new to sailing, the engine might be one of the most important things on the boat.

Some sail/cruise without an engine or with a very small under sized engine but have years of experience or at least some experience sailing without an engine.

Point is either get a good engine or learn to sail your boat really well quickly
Old 06-10-2020, 08:12   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Im not sure what about 95% of that means lol

Displacement times horse power factor = horse power requited.

I used factor as on our own boat that has similar underbody shape and volume to yours.

Many new boats use 5 hp factor. Example in metric units.

Boat weighs 3 t (3000 kilograms).
Factor 5

3 x 5 = 15 hp engine.

Our own boat has 13hp and we do just fine - when bottom is clean and when the prop is clean. However, we have a perfectly matched, 3-blade prop - something not all boats have.

On your boat:

8 x 4 = use 32 hp engine. 25 hp is fine with a perfectly matched train. 40 is better if the transmission and prop cannot fully utilize engine power available.

The other thing I said is that engines with more hp are only slightly more expensive compared to smaller units. Id hesitating between a smaller and a bigger engine (assuming both fit the engine beds and shaft angle) take the more powerful one.

Very few sailors feel bad because their engine is 'too big' ... ;-)

++Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:27   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Is this the boat you are buying?
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/88073
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alberg.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	224725  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:04   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

Thats it!! Just one the way to the yard
Old 06-10-2020, 14:54   #57

Order of operations question. Should I do the thru hull fittings before painting or after?
Old 06-10-2020, 15:40   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Order of operations question. Should I do the thru hull fittings before painting or after?
Before
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:47   #59

Old 08-10-2020, 04:14   #60

All moved in! Got the travel trailer in front of the boat on the hard and gonna unpack the boat and sand and set the thru hull fittings today. Base coat tomorrow. Was a chore just getting set up here and still have to either find or build some stairs..... Tons of little additional expenses.

Tags
alberg, refit