Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 07:59   #61

Re: Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

Where might I be able to find the interior locations of all the thru hull fittings?
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:24   #62

Boat: a sailing boat

You might be able to see the fittings on walk thru.

Expect as a minimum the following:

- engine intake,
- toilet intake and outlet,
- kitchen sink outlet (sometimes an inlet too if salt water used),
- cockpit drains (most often 2 or 4),

Also a log and depth instrument will/may have a thru-hull.

Then above waterline:
- exhaust,
- bilge pump (-s, at time many pumps),
- etc.

Others will suggest other stuff too. Location is most often close to the device, and should be very easy to access (for emergencies).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:31   #63
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

Where are the interior locations of your thru hull fittings? Walk around the outside of your boat and find all of the holes. There will be a hole somewhere on the inside of the boat that corresponds to each each hole you found outside.

Barnakiel has the list about right.

you probably also have a sink drain hole for the sink in the head area.

On my Pearson Alberg 35, there are several thru hulls that do not have fittings so to speak. The cockpit and deck scuppers as well as the sink drains all have tubes glassed into the hull. I don't love this arrangement, but they appear to be very sturdy. My surveyor wasn't too concerned. I keep soft wooden plugs tethered to each of the drains and thru hulls in case of emergency.

The engine intake and head intake/output all have new bronze thru hull fittings and seacocks.

I would absolutely plan on putting a diesel in that boat. Mine has a Yanmar 30 HP and it has never felt like I had "too much" motor.

You are imagining that you wont really "need" a motor, but try dealing with an engineless boat for a season and then get back to us with the results. I've been there with a much smaller boat.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 16:44   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Where are the interior locations of your thru hull fittings? Walk around the outside of your boat and find all of the holes. There will be a hole somewhere on the inside of the boat that corresponds to each each hole you found outside.

Barnakiel has the list about right.

you probably also have a sink drain hole for the sink in the head area.

On my Pearson Alberg 35, there are several thru hulls that do not have fittings so to speak. The cockpit and deck scuppers as well as the sink drains all have tubes glassed into the hull. I don't love this arrangement, but they appear to be very sturdy. My surveyor wasn't too concerned. I keep soft wooden plugs tethered to each of the drains and thru hulls in case of emergency.

The engine intake and head intake/output all have new bronze thru hull fittings and seacocks.

I would absolutely plan on putting a diesel in that boat. Mine has a Yanmar 30 HP and it has never felt like I had "too much" motor.

You are imagining that you wont really "need" a motor, but try dealing with an engineless boat for a season and then get back to us with the results. I've been there with a much smaller boat.
Thanks for the advice! Found them all. I wont be going engineless. Just using a 18kw Brushless with a 6 lithium ion battery setup. Ill have plenty of power and range. I shoulb be done with sanding tomorrow and starting to paint saturday! Once thats done Ill put in and finish up the interior. Looking like ill beat my 60 goal by a week or 2. Will five me a month or so of sailing classes and hiring someone to take me out a few times
Old 08-10-2020, 16:59   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
Thanks for the advice! Found them all. I wont be going engineless. Just using a 18kw Brushless with a 6 lithium ion battery setup. Ill have plenty of power and range. I shoulb be done with sanding tomorrow and starting to paint saturday! Once thats done Ill put in and finish up the interior. Looking like ill beat my 60 goal by a week or 2. Will five me a month or so of sailing classes and hiring someone to take me out a few times
How will you be charging those batteries in a timely manner?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 17:23   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
How will you be charging those batteries in a timely manner?
Solar panels, wind generator and the control has regen (hydrogeneration)
Old 08-10-2020, 18:27   #67

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:

You may have plently of power with the proper prop, but unless you have an enormous (read costly) lithium bank, your range will be very short. For a reality check, my hybrid motor vessel has a 32.5' waterline, displaces about 12,000# in cruising trim, and a 7 kW electric motor in-line with the 165HP diesel, driving a 17x14 5-bladed prop through the diesel's 2:1 reduction gear. The hull a semi-displacement - "super-displacement" - design.

Our 48V lithium bank has 11.6 kWh capacity. Wide open electric @1150 RPM, less than 2hrs @ 5kn will flatten the battery, with a flat water windless range of maybe 7nm. At 4kn, maybe 15 miles in ideal conditions - which are almost never seen out here on Monterey Bay - and which you rarely see when you really need power. I use the electric for getting in and out of harbor, and for whale watching once we've diesel'd out the 10-12nms to find them.

In diesel mode, the motor becomes a 5kW generator, and tops up the battery in a couple of hours, with a bit of help from the 500kW solar array. And if you're expecting much in the way of re-gen, this is often inadequate below 6kn sailing speed. So re-charging your bank seems a real challenge to me...
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 18:36   #68

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Solar panels, wind generator and the control has regen (hydrogeneration)

This will not work. You will be very limited.

Solar works only by day, wind is at times absent and regeneration works only when sailing FAST.

A diesel donkey works AT ANY TIME.

A37 is not a Pogo.

I think el motor is fine but only rigged with a genset (to form a hybrid drive).

Just that one can skip half of hybrid components by attaching the diesel motor directly to the propeller ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 18:44   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This will not work. You will be very limited.

Solar works only by day, wind is at times absent and regeneration works only when sailing FAST.

A diesel donkey works AT ANY TIME.

A37 is not a Pogo.

I think el motor is fine but only rigged with a genset (to form a hybrid drive).

Just that one can skip half of hybrid components by attaching the diesel motor directly to the propeller ...

b.

Ive heard time and again that it wont work. Im not interested in that. There are plenty that have used it without issues. And the only time Ill need to motor more than out of a marina is in an emergency. Ill have over 30nm of range so ill be fine. Ill put most of my electric engine discussion in that topic since most here are against anything other than diesel.
Old 08-10-2020, 18:48   #70

Quote:
Ive heard time and again that it wont work. Im not interested in that. There are plenty that have used it without issues. And the only time Ill need to motor more than out of a marina is in an emergency. Ill have over 30nm of range so ill be fine. Ill put most of my electric engine discussion in that topic since most here are against anything other than diesel.

Im not a day sailer. We will be under sail when moving. And in no hurry any of the time. We will plan out routes and departures on good wind and weather. Ive spoken with 2 couples who use electric and will be getting the same setup as one. Ill be doing a DIY Lithium bank.
Old 08-10-2020, 19:40   #71

Quote:
Im not a day sailer. We will be under sail when moving. And in no hurry any of the time. We will plan out routes and departures on good wind and weather. Ive spoken with 2 couples who use electric and will be getting the same setup as one. Ill be doing a DIY Lithium bank.

The critical question is what will your kWh capacity be?
Old 08-10-2020, 19:49   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
The critical question is what will your kWh capacity be?

Im not sure how to calculate that. I have a battery bank with 8x 12v 100ah lithium battery cells. Im using the thunderstruck 18kw liquid cooled brushless motor
Old 08-10-2020, 19:58   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Im not sure how to calculate that. I have a battery bank with 8x 12v 100ah lithium battery cells. Im using the thunderstruck 18kw liquid cooled brushless motor
Are you sure the cells are 12 volt? Not 3.2 volts?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 20:34   #74

Quote:

Volts X Amp-hrs = Watt-hrs So you have 1200 Wh X 8 = 9,600 Wh, notated as 9.6 kWh.

I'm assuming you will have 4 sets of 2 cells in series, for 48V nominal. The wiring from my 48V 11.6 kWh bank is finger-sized, and less than a 4' run to 7kW motor, so with your motor drawing almost 3X the current max, will have to be very substantially larger.

At full power, you may hit 7.5kt briefly, but battery flat in less than 1/2 hr. and range ~3.5nm only. At 1/4 power - 4.5kW - you may reach 4.5-5kt for a little more than 2hrs before flat, for a 9-10nm range. Throttle back to 3kW for ~3.5 hr runtime at a projected 3kt, and you've still got only a 10+nm range. (edited 10:00 PDT - runtime corrected to ~half original 6hr)
Old 09-10-2020, 06:52   #75

Boat: Trintella 47

https://www.morganscloud.com/
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, refit