Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 05:37   #121

Re: Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

If i had a dollar for every time someone told me electric aint worth a dang lol. Ill be fine. Ive done my research and spoken with a few current owners.

Not worried anout resale and will have a geny for extending range if needed. But with my bank Ill be fine with the 30nm or so if no sun.
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 06:44   #122

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Heat the through hull with a propane torch, epoxy starts to soften at about 200 deg f.

Scrub the existing bottom paint and go over it with a soft paint, it will stick to what is most likely on an old Alberg.

You can order perfectly good solar panels from Amazon for a good price and they deliver.

You can always row a hard dinghy, I have for 30 years, but the row can be long in the Bahamas.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 06:53   #123

The wind is much more consistent where you are, with some experience you'll be fine with the limited range of electric drive, but you do need something for the inlets and harbors. You don't have the skills to go engineless.
You got the boat cheap, the concern about resale is silly, the boat is for you, not the next owner. You can always sell cheap.
Old 14-10-2020, 07:01   #124

Baby food and formula? The baby has a mother, the vast majority of mothers can provide all the food the baby needs for it's first years. Been there done that (well, my wife did) for two on 25' cruising Central America.

Diapers, on the other hand, is the real issue. We went with cloth, which means lots of fresh water. OP, you do know you have to pay for water in the Bahamas, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It sounds like you are going electric. If it were me I'd consider that only a little better than going engineless, because realistically how many miles can you get out of the battery bank you can pack into the boat? And at what cost? It will get you in and out of harbors but it is probably considerably cheaper, and not much worse, to get a good sized RIB and a 10 or 15 hp engine and use that tied off your quarter to get you in and out of harbors and out into the breeze. Once in the Bahamas you may then decide a replacement diesel is the better way to go. You'll want that RIB anyway once you are there too. (You'll need a good one to make runs to get baby food and formula.)
Old 14-10-2020, 08:56   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Heat the through hull with a propane torch, epoxy starts to soften at about 200 deg f.

Scrub the existing bottom paint and go over it with a soft paint, it will stick to what is most likely on an old Alberg.

You can order perfectly good solar panels from Amazon for a good price and they deliver.

You can always row a hard dinghy, I have for 30 years, but the row can be long in the Bahamas.

Ill try the heat before I cut it off. Try to save $80 for a new thru hull. Ill be getting a RIB regardless and mat try the hip tow for now until the engine parts arrive. Ive seen those panels on Amazon but wondered as to there quality
Old 14-10-2020, 08:57   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Baby food and formula? The baby has a mother, the vast majority of mothers can provide all the food the baby needs for it's first years. Been there done that (well, my wife did) for two on 25' cruising Central America.

Diapers, on the other hand, is the real issue. We went with cloth, which means lots of fresh water. OP, you do know you have to pay for water in the Bahamas, right?

Agreed my wife will be breast feeding and after we will make our own food from vegetables and fruits steamed and mashed.

I have a watermaker so water wont be an issue. We wont be going into marinas and harbors often and we will be sailing isolated as we both prefer.
Old 14-10-2020, 09:18   #127

Boat: Hans Christian 43

So a quick question. Have you looked into the rules regarding arriving in the Bahamas? Could be difficult depending on the ongoing state of Covid.
Are you a Dad yet?
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:21   #128

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
So a quick question. Have you looked into the rules regarding arriving in the Bahamas? Could be difficult depending on the ongoing state of Covid.
Are you a Dad yet?

"• CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential international travel to the Bahamas. Travelers at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should consider postponing all travel, including essential travel, to the Bahamas.
• COVID-19 risk in the Bahamas is high.
• If you get sick in the Bahamas and need medical care, resources may be limited
• Check with the Office of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Health of the Bahamas or the US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Country Information page for details about entry requirements and restrictions for arriving travelers, such as mandatory testing or quarantine.
• Local policies at your destination may require you to be tested for COVID-19 before you are allowed to enter the country. If you test positive on arrival, you may be required to isolate for a period of time. You may even be prevented from returning to the United States, as scheduled.

Aug 6, 2020"

If you're considering the former paradise of the Abaco Is., in a word, don't. They're still in a terrible state after their complete devastation in last year's 160+ MPH hurricane Dorian, even more complicated by the current problem of the increasing Covid-19 epidemic overloading meager medical resources.

As a doctor, I simply can't conceive of taking an infant and post-partum wife into this milieu when you do, if fact, have a choice to stay in the States. Below, up-to-date detailed info and immigration requirements:
https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:32   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post

Are you a Dad yet?

We have, it’s actually a lot simpler than the other countries we’ve been to in the past few months. As far as risk of exposure goes, we will not be going into towns, marinas or harbors.
By the time we go, we won’t even have to quarantine (not like that would be an issue anyways), we’ll just need a test and do a quick test upon arrival.

My wife’s being induced Monday, our daughter seems to be really cozy in there.
Old 14-10-2020, 11:37   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
"• CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential international travel to the Bahamas. Travelers at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should consider postponing all travel, including essential travel, to the Bahamas.
• COVID-19 risk in the Bahamas is high.
• If you get sick in the Bahamas and need medical care, resources may be limited
• Check with the Office of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Health of the Bahamas or the US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Country Information page for details about entry requirements and restrictions for arriving travelers, such as mandatory testing or quarantine.
• Local policies at your destination may require you to be tested for COVID-19 before you are allowed to enter the country. If you test positive on arrival, you may be required to isolate for a period of time. You may even be prevented from returning to the United States, as scheduled.

Aug 6, 2020"

If you're considering the former paradise of the Abaco Is., in a word, don't. They're still in a terrible state after their complete devastation in last year's 160+ MPH hurricane Dorian, even more complicated by the current problem of the increasing Covid-19 epidemic overloading meager medical resources.

As a doctor, I simply can't conceive of taking an infant and post-partum wife into this milieu when you do, if fact, have a choice to stay in the States. Below, up-to-date detailed info and immigration requirements:
https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

I appreciate the response but the reality around the world is much less severe than what the government and news might say. We have first hand experience, including Spain during their recent lockdowns. The US as a whole has much less control over the virus than any other country. We see people daily in stores with no masks. On top of that, Florida is one of the hotspots. So really it’s not like we’d be safer staying here.
I’m confident our current plan of social isolation at sea is much more effective than any land-based control method.
Old 15-10-2020, 17:22   #131

Finally got the thru hull out! Couldnt salvage it and it was epoxyed into the seacock. Not sure why as is wasnt yet cut to size. Now its at a machine shop where hopefully they can remove the thru hull and rethread it to save me 300 bucks. Save a splash date of this Saturday! Hopefully its cleaned(found two cleaning ladies to do it), painted, rewired, plumbing hooked up and bimini and dodger in place to block the sun. Then on to the hospital monday!
Old 22-10-2020, 21:17   #132

Healthy 7.5lb baby girl! Now that thats out of the way I can get the last few things done. I am trying to figure out a DIY hot water tank solution. I want to turn the fuel tank into another water tank. The PO (previous Owner) thouroughly cleaned it and I will do it again. It 30 gallons if I remember correctly. I was going to buy a 12v immersion heater and a thermostat switch but I’m worried 30 gallons is way too large. Any other suggestions? Maybe remove the old tank buy a smaller one and use the additional space for storage after insulating the tank?
Old 22-10-2020, 21:22   #133
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
Healthy 7.5lb baby girl! Now that thats out of the way I can get the last few things done. I am trying to figure out a DIY hot water tank solution. I want to turn the fuel tank into another water tank. The PO (previous Owner) thouroughly cleaned it and I will do it again. It 30 gallons if I remember correctly. I was going to buy a 12v immersion heater and a thermostat switch but I’m worried 30 gallons is way too large. Any other suggestions? Maybe remove the old tank buy a smaller one and use the additional space for storage after insulating the tank?
Congratulations.

12 volts does not work to heat water - remember as the volts drop the amps increase.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 22:43   #134

I’ve found a 12v Whale Water Heater. I thought about buying it but it’s $600 and I cant find any user reviews. The description says good for deck showers and warming wetsuits. Thats a lot to pay for something that would give me good cabin hot water.
Old 22-10-2020, 23:56   #135
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
I’ve found a 12v Whale Water Heater. I thought about buying it but it’s $600 and I cant find any user reviews. The description says good for deck showers and warming wetsuits. Thats a lot to pay for something that would give me good cabin hot water.
It's a good water heater - the only 12 volt model as far as I know. 25 amps @ 12 volts to heat it up.

600 dollars is not a lot for a water heater.

It was designed for outboard powered boats without the ability to use the engine's heat exchanger for use underway.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, refit