Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 06:52   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Refitting bilge pumps

I'm revisiting my bilge pump configuration and am seeking advice. What I have now is the original factory setup.

My boat has two remote Jabsco diaphragm pumps, both located in the engine compartment with pickups at the bottom of the bilge. One is connected to a float switch, the other is switched. They're on .75" hose and move at best 5 gpm each.

I have two manual Whale gulper pumps, one in the cockpit and the other in the bilge, both on 1.5".

The Jabsco on the float switch is fine for keeping the bilge sump clear of incidental water (which at this point is zero other than some rain through the mast and a trickle down from the anchor locker). But both of them together are clearly inadequate for any kind of more serious water event.

I'm thinking about installing a Rule 3700 in place of the Whale pump in the bilge, as it will fit 1.5" hose, with alarm and float switch, right at the top of the sump, which would keep both of them dry. The sump holds maybe 3 gallons so, so any "event" would trigger the alarm almost immediately. The 3700 should move around 35-40 gpm given the lift and the run.

I'm thinking if leaving the jabscos alone. They work, are stupidly reliable, and don't think there's anything that would give me better GPH in their place without substantial refitting of hose. While the second one is kinda pointless if I add a higher capacity pump, I guess you can never have too many bilge pumps lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, refit