Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 18:31   #1

Refitting in the Caribbean

Does anyone have any input on where in the greater Caribbean to refit? Cost, craftsmanship, availability of materials all a factor. Thanks in advance for the input.
Adventurer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 19:45   #2

Boat: Knysna 480
I have made several Caribbean islands my short time home. I have found the best prices and parts availability to be in Puerto Rico, especially on the east end near Fajardo.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 00:10   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Erhmmm... I think we've seen it all and St Maarten & Trinidad are by far the overall best places. There are other places for specific jobs though so let us know what jobs you plan to do.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 00:58   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I have to agree with Nick, when it comes to availability, selection and price it is hard to beat St. Martin, while Trinidad has qualified labour at reasonable rates.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35   #5

Refit

I need to build a total interior and refit the standing rigging. The boat is currently in St. Maarten.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
FKG rigging is right there in Cole Bay, Sint Maarten. Sorry, but I don't have any references for the interior work.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
FKG rigging is right there in Cole Bay, Sint Maarten. Sorry, but I don't have any references for the interior work.

How is Nevis for boat registration?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I don't think there would be any advantage to it, and you'd have to pay import duties, which would be expensive. If you're a U.S. citizen, you can't beat the USCG documentation route. A relatively small initial fee and then annual renewals are free as long as you do them on time. If the boat's outside the U.S. there would be no state taxes nor fees at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I don't think there would be any advantage to it, and you'd have to pay import duties, which would be expensive. If you're a U.S. citizen, you can't beat the USCG documentation route. A relatively small initial fee and then annual renewals are free as long as you do them on time. If the boat's outside the U.S. there would be no state taxes nor fees at all.
Great information. Much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer1 View Post
I need to build a total interior and refit the standing rigging. The boat is currently in St. Maarten.
Like Hud wrote, use FKG rigging for that. The interior is more difficult, especially if you want it done for a very good price. I know two places though:

- the shipwright at Grenada Marine in St Davids Harbour in Grenada. The owners name is Fred (US expat) and he employs a Portuguese/Brazilian shipwright (forgot his name) who is the real thing. It's a place where some big & famous classic yachts go for major work. I had some small jobs done there and it was 1st rate. I think you work something out if you want to do some or most of the work yourself. When we were there they also took a young Swede (Dave) in as an apprentice.

- Conrad used to work in St Maarten but he moved his business to Curacao Marine in Willemstad, Curacao. The work I have seen from him was 1st class too but I have no direct experience.

I also saw work done in Trinidad that looked really good but I don't know who did those jobs. I think Trini will be the best option cost-wise and if your rig is still okay enough to sail there, there also a very good rigger: Jonas at Trinidad Rigging, located at Peake's Yard. Nice person (taught me how to rig & tune my boat) and 1st class work.

So, in your shoes I would replace the rigging with FKG in St Maarten, sail down to Grenada to check with the shipwright there and if that doesn't work out, sail to Trini and do it there.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 17:26   #11

Thanks sv Jedi

Thanks for the wealth of information. I am still open to all opinions on the matter as I have some time to make my decision. I will weigh all very carefully and hope with all the help to reach a reasonably educated conclusion of where to go. I will definitely upgrade the rig before I leave St. Maarten, whatever the final decision is.

Cheers to all!

Tags
Caribbean