Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 08:56   #1

Refrigeration problems

Help! We just bought a 1982 Stevens 47ft
Our drop in refrigeration is not acting right.
#1 the compressor runs hot...so hot that we won't put our clothes in our closet.
#2 freezer will stay frozen bit refrigeration side only works for one cycle.

Once the freezer plates freeze up in the freezer the refrigeration side stops cooling....

What we think is happening the thermostat for the freezer is telling the fridge side to shut down.....

Tecumseh original with boat
Previous owner messed with the wiring and we think that has something to so with our problem

And no we did not do the blue painters tape....again....previous owner :/
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_112534.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	150180Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_112541.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	150181Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_112607.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	150182Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_112732.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	150183
Kamalolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 14:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Refrigeration problems

I had similar issues on my boat. I can tell you what I did to solve the issues. First, I got a electrical schematic and confirmed that my wiring was consistent. (it wasn't). I rewired to be consistent. Then I bought a vacuum gauge set, a sniffer, and got some refrigerant. I test for leaks (found none), and then for pressures. Some of the pressures were off, and I had to add a small amount of refrigerant. What I also learned was the TXV was not set correctly. If the TXV valve is closed to far, not enough refrigerant flows to the system and the compressor can get very hot. If there is too much refrigerant flowing back to the compressor, it can severely damage the compressor. I set mine so the top part of the compressor is warm, the bottom gets hot. Note the system has to settle to steady state for accurate measurements. It seems that 15 minutes is needed after any change in settings. There are only two things to adjust on these systems, the amount of refrigerant and the TXV setting.

From the pictures you supplied, it appears you should have two thermostats (there are two relays), and you seems to have two plates, refrigeration and freezer. How are the thermostats set? Do the thermostats work?

I had 'experts' work on my system at great cost, and they made my system worse. I have three compressors and five plates in three refrigerator/freezers.

Its not that complicated once you understand how it works.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 16:56   #3

Re: Refrigeration problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
I had similar issues on my boat. I can tell you what I did to solve the issues. First, I got a electrical schematic and confirmed that my wiring was consistent. (it wasn't). I rewired to be consistent. Then I bought a vacuum gauge set, a sniffer, and got some refrigerant. I test for leaks (found none), and then for pressures. Some of the pressures were off, and I had to add a small amount of refrigerant. What I also learned was the TXV was not set correctly. If the TXV valve is closed to far, not enough refrigerant flows to the system and the compressor can get very hot. If there is too much refrigerant flowing back to the compressor, it can severely damage the compressor. I set mine so the top part of the compressor is warm, the bottom gets hot. Note the system has to settle to steady state for accurate measurements. It seems that 15 minutes is needed after any change in settings. There are only two things to adjust on these systems, the amount of refrigerant and the TXV setting.

From the pictures you supplied, it appears you should have two thermostats (there are two relays), and you seems to have two plates, refrigeration and freezer. How are the thermostats set? Do the thermostats work?

I had 'experts' work on my system at great cost, and they made my system worse. I have three compressors and five plates in three refrigerator/freezers.

Its not that complicated once you understand how it works.
Your amazing this has been a huge problem for us. I'll get back to you am the answers to your questions. Thanks! We have had 2 people look at it as well.
Kamalolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration