Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 12:59   #1

Refrigeration Refit Challenge

It was suggested that the Cruisers Forum provides outstanding resources to address challenges such as mine so the favor of your interest is greatly appreciated.

I’m in the middle of a major refit to include refrigeration for a 13.5 ft3 refrigerator and a 9 ft3 freezer. Although I have plenty of thru-hull capacity my ultimate objective is to satisfy these loads with a 12v air cooled constant cycle solution first before entertaining a 12v water/keel cooled, holding plate alternative.

In an effort to avoid reducing box size to accommodate a system I’m interested in learning if anyone has fridge/freezer capacities similar to these and if so, what system are you using to satisfy this requirement?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Dave
DHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 22:21   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Refrigeration Refit Challenge

Have you looked at the Adler Barbour cold machine?

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...arbour-_-20734
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 22:53   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHooper View Post
It was suggested that the Cruisers Forum provides outstanding resources to address challenges such as mine so the favor of your interest is greatly appreciated.

I’m in the middle of a major refit to include refrigeration for a 13.5 ft3 refrigerator and a 9 ft3 freezer. Although I have plenty of thru-hull capacity my ultimate objective is to satisfy these loads with a 12v air cooled constant cycle solution first before entertaining a 12v water/keel cooled, holding plate alternative.

In an effort to avoid reducing box size to accommodate a system I’m interested in learning if anyone has fridge/freezer capacities similar to these and if so, what system are you using to satisfy this requirement?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Dave
Hi, I don't know where in the world you are however if in north america you have two good refrig manufacturers, Cold machine ? in Canada and Rich Boren in USA, or if in Australia, Ozefridge. I am sure there are others and asking the question of one of them will give you the answers that you need and if you choose to buy from them it will be dearer than a system assembled with the best intentions but will stand the test of time, therefore cheaper long term.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 23:07   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

Those are huge boxes. I have a 5 cf refer and a 2.5 cf freezer. They each have their own A/B cold machines. With boxes as big as yours you might need two refer systems per box. I hope they are very well insulated.

Looking forward to reading what the pros have to say about your project.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 23:12   #5

Boat: Transpac 49

Hi Dave,

Do a search on this site with keyword 'eutectic' and believe me, you will learn all you'll ever need to know about refrigeration, and probably become an expert in the process ;-)

If you somehow manage to avoid the thread descending into a endless debate about the 2 types of evaporator systems, you might actually get an answer that is right for YOUR needs [emoji106]

Apart from that, what he said ^^
Old 25-02-2019, 10:24   #6

Yes, I reviewed Adler's offerings with them directly and advised that the fridge was doable with an excessive duty cycle but the large freezer was beyond their abilities. AB's advice was the reduce the box capacity thereby decreasing the load and ensuring the performance of their equipment. How large are your boxes?
Old 25-02-2019, 10:27   #7

Thanks Uncle Bob. I have had discussions with Ozefridge and advised to reduce the box capacity to accommodate their current offerings or endure an excessive duty cycle. Also spoke with Technautics and box reduction was advised also. How big are your boxes? Thanks!
Old 25-02-2019, 10:29   #8

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, they are definitely large boxes with a little over 3" of insulation and a stainless steel liner. Reducing the boxes may be my only option but that is what I am attempting to learn here.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:36   #9

Quote:
Yes, I reviewed Adler's offerings with them directly and advised that the fridge was doable with an excessive duty cycle but the large freezer was beyond their abilities. AB's advice was the reduce the box capacity thereby decreasing the load and ensuring the performance of their equipment. How large are your boxes?
How big is your boat and what is your electrical supply's capacity?

As I said above I have a 5 cubic foot refrigerator. It runs about 25% of the time. The 2.5 cubic foot freezer runs about 50%. Conceivably you could run two systems in a box controlled by one thermostat. That would satisfy your refer but that freezer?. In any case you are talking about a lot of electricy.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Hi Dave,

Do a search on this site with keyword 'eutectic' and believe me, you will learn all you'll ever need to know about refrigeration, and probably become an expert in the process ;-)

If you somehow manage to avoid the thread descending into a endless debate about the 2 types of evaporator systems, you might actually get an answer that is right for YOUR needs [emoji106]

Apart from that, what he said ^^
Thanks Tassiebloke for your thoughts! There is plenty of data on refrigeration throughout this site and extremely knowledgeable and talented folks posting it. A wonderful resource by itself. I don't want to build my own component system but rather purchase a stock off the shelf system capable of meeting these loads ideally with an air cooled constant cycling evaporator but will evaluate water/keel cooled alternatives as well. Just looking first to identify a manufacturer able to meet these large loads based on what may be working on similar sized boxes in the field. How big are your boxes?
Old 25-02-2019, 10:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
How big is your boat and what is your electrical supply's capacity?

As I said above I have a 5 cubic foot refrigerator. It runs about 25% of the time. The 2.5 cubic foot freezer runs about 50%. Conceivably you could run two systems in a box controlled by one thermostat. That would satisfy your refer but that freezer?. In any case you are talking about a lot of electricy.
Little Harbor 50 with 1040 AH of capacity. Wind and solar generation will be installed before splashing the boat but hasn't been sized yet.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:58   #12

Quote:
Little Harbor 50 with 1040 AH of capacity. Wind and solar generation will be installed before splashing the boat but hasn't been sized yet.
Well, with enough solar and wind you could easily run multiple systems in each box.

Example: My boat: Nordic 44 ft, 660 amp hours at 12 volts, 390 watts solar.

Are you 12 or 24 volts for that 1040 AH capacity?

Are you planning to be a full time cruiser?

How much solar can you fit?

Is your intended cruising ground windy enough for a wind generator?

How often do you intend to run the main engine or a generator to supplement your alternate energy?
Old 25-02-2019, 12:32   #13

Available 12v capacity isn't the concern but rather the duty cycle of the system. Your 25% run time is admirable but load analyses calculated for my boxes exceed 75%. Cruising plans include the Chesapeake Bay, Bermuda and Caribbean over the next 2-3 years. Preliminary analyses for wind and solar have yet to be completed. Engine run time less than 2 hours a day is the design maximum.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

3" of insulation is woefully inadequate. I have 5" in a 3.5 cubic ft/ freezer and wish I had room for more.
Old 25-02-2019, 14:59   #15

Point taken. I may have 5"-6" should I reduce the box size.

Tags
refit, refrigeration