Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 20:32   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Here's a free one waiting for some love: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post845875

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 20:57   #167

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff View Post
Well, I've just bought my boat (well, a few months back now) but going to pick her up in a few days. The urge to 'get stuck into it' sprucing her up after some 10 years on a mooring with the occasional haulout (she was a floating apartment) is pretty strong, she looks a bit rough on deck. But I'm taking it quietly, I have a little money and a lot of time, not vice versa, so I won't just bounce off and replace all the rigging and the engine and... my budget won't allow that, so I'll probably settle for making sure it's ok to sail home and sort the rest out when I get there where the haulout costs are rather less than in Sydney. (It seems a few hours on the hard and the haulout would be several hundred dollars - I can haul out for a week at home for around $350.)

It's 1700nm to home, but I'm taking it quietly and not pushing the gear day and night until I'm sure it's up to it. I've allowed three weeks or so, not in any particular hurry, if you're sailing, getting there is all the fun, right?

AussieGeoff
Hi Geoff ... Congrats did you get ply or ferro?
Old 27-12-2011, 03:57   #168
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Here's a free one waiting for some love: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post845875
And the related blog quite instructive on the way to approach (and not to?) a project of that size and scope.......and with an unhappy ending (boat going for Free after 9 months of ownership and money going in) - that ending not uncommon, just the details / reasons vary .

Going Afloat

As a broad guide, if you discover a Vendor / PO has used wallpaper for the interior then approach a purchase with even more caution..........and if on the exterior then run away!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59   #169
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Classic Dilemma

Over the Xmas period was painting the reverse side of various hull lining panels.....a job I should have done before recovering them with vinyl a couple of years back .

Most of them look fine but on a couple I must have been pissed when I recovered them in vinyl ......the only thing wrong with 'em is cosmetics (I should have filled and sanded a bit better - especially as changed from foam backed vinyl to straight vinyl, simply because I prefer the look and the foam disintergrates over 20 years - the reason for the recovering).

My choices are:-

a) redo the job properly now (I still have the headlinings to recover, so will be vinyling anyway - but these have all been prepped)

b) leave as is for now, refit to boat and sort out later / next year

c) fit and forget!

I (mentally!) can't do c) - on a strict budget (time & money) it would be the sensible thing to do.........I have to decide between a) and b)......up to now the answer would always have been a), but in recent times have taken a more relaxed approach to re-doing stuff ad infinitum .
Dilemma solved

How? Have just run out of vinyl .............so will be option B.

I will redo as (still!) looks not very good and a fairly visible panel - and will also need more vinyl for the last 2 headlining panels in the aft cabin! (would have had enough - except for the learning curve along the way ).

I may have mentioned something earlier about careful project planning .
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28   #170

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

New question: I have a fiberglass hull that seems to rain inside from condensation. What do you use to insulate the deck from the inside?

I know ventilation is also a problem, but up here in the Great White North, you simply can't leave openings, well..., open. If you do, you'll end up with every critter around trying to make a winter home in your boat. The boat is on the hard, an hour away each direction so constant checking is kinda out as well. How do you insure adequate ventilation but keep unwanted guests and snow drifts out of your boat?

Tarping doesn't seem to work. Did that last year and had more condensation along with well protected birds who really didn't want to leave their nests in the spring.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:01   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
I know ventilation is also a problem, but up here in the Great White North, you simply can't leave openings, well..., open. If you do, you'll end up with every critter around trying to make a winter home in your boat. The boat is on the hard, an hour away each direction so constant checking is kinda out as well. How do you insure adequate ventilation but keep unwanted guests and snow drifts out of your boat?
As liveaboards in a sub-zero climate we've tried just about everything. Insulation doesn't work as it soaks up moisture and makes a good home for mold and mildew. Heat (lots) and ventilation is the key. keeping the otters out was always an issue; dorades are an elegant solution. There are a number solar powered vent available, but passive ventilation seems to work the best. Cigarette smoke or a smokey candle will indicate the dead air areas as well as showing the direction of air flow. Most dorade manufacturers explain the best location based on your information.
We've installed 45000 btu's of hot water heat to overcome the open port and vent situations. Basically you'll be heating the great outdoors, but you boat will be dry.

Quote:
Tarping doesn't seem to work. Did that last year and had more condensation along with well protected birds who really didn't want to leave their nests in the spring.
I agree, but covers over vulnerable areas keep the wind from blowing rain into your boat as well as protecting canvas covers and woodwork (if not already painted).

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 18:25   #172

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Welcome to CF and thanks for sharing ... and sharing ... and
I can only think of 2 letters in response, "S.A." Oh but then there is LOL. Play nice Doodles.

Thanks for the giggle.
Old 22-01-2012, 06:37   #173

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Here are two worthy project boats cheap. Located in Marshharbor Abaco, Bahamas. Duty paid, running, in the water.

1. Alberg 35 classic design. New westerbeke 3 cyl diesel (2 hrs.) teak decks, Wheel pilot, cruising gear. Sails etc. only $5,000

2. Lovely Sabre 28, atomic 4 runs well. Cruising gear, sails etc. $4,000

These are located at the Marsh Harbor Marina and are for sale ro pay dockage or change of plans. Very doable, nice projects that are ready to go with a little tlc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolero.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	36323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Biscayne.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	36324  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 06:52   #174
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Here are two worthy project boats cheap. Located in Marshharbor Abaco, Bahamas. Duty paid, running, in the water.

1. Alberg 35 classic design. New westerbeke 3 cyl diesel (2 hrs.) teak decks, Wheel pilot, cruising gear. Sails etc. only $5,000

2. Lovely Sabre 28, atomic 4 runs well. Cruising gear, sails etc. $4,000

These are located at the Marsh Harbor Marina and are for sale ro pay dockage or change of plans. Very doable, nice projects that are ready to go with a little tlc.
Who are they with... if anyone..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 08:40   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Who are they with... if anyone..
A little room to stretch your legs in maybe boatman?

Me, I saw an excuse to go somewhere sunny. Oh well, after a bottom up rebuild of the Perkins I can put those thoughts aside.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 12:58   #176

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Boatman61, The boats are in a local marina. The Marina owns one and is trying to help the owner with the Alberg. They are about to parts out the alberg and I was hoping to get the old girl a home and help out my friends who own the marina.

I have taken a longer look and some pictures of the Alberg. It appears that the engine recieved a new longblock as some of the parts have different 'Patina". I was supprised how nice the interior is . The main salon cushions were redone and perhaps the Vbirth as well. For a boat in the Bahamas it is suprisingly mold free. There are some old instruments including a Sumlog, wind stuff that do not appear to work.

Some highlights:

-Wheel Steering
-Kelvin White 8"Compass (has an air bubble, but beautiful)
-Autohelm 4000 wheel pilot
- Maxwell 1200 vertical windlass ( new) 3/4 in. 250 ft rode and chain
-150% genoa in a bag. (Several more in storage somewhere)
-Harken roller Furling
-Trace inverter DR series (Big)
-Trimbal NT200 GPS (old, might work)
-Racor fuel filter (Takes the 2020 filters)
-Groco Sea strainer
-Groco bronze head pump

Topsides and deck have been algriped at some point. Fadded.
Primary Port sheetwinch was pulled off in the last hurricane but is below. Secodary is missing.

PM me for pics and more info.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:39   #177

Boat: talk me into it

How long til the old girl gets parted out?

Is there an easy way to get there? Any direct flights from Florida?

Thanks, Bill
Pilotethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:59   #178
Armchair Bucketeer

Lots of time to ponder as the great (aka embarrasingly long ) DOJ refurb project draws to a close (at least part 1 does!).

Will try and put together a "Lessons Learnt" post at some point (I didn't learn anything I didn't know already - just that my understanding changed on many things )..........but in the interim there is one concept that I wish I had accepted far more:-

Over Restoring

A term usually applied to antiques, say you have a Table that is 200 years old - the odds are that it will not be in perfect condition, but you could not only make it as good as new - could also make it better!.....however in the process of doing either you will not only destroy much of the character but also (in the case of an antique) much of the value. With some things age, including wear and tear does add a certain something.

Translating that to boats (especially mine?!) means I should have taken a less fussy aproach (just because I can, doesn't mean I should - a bit like Chartplotters?!) - the irony being that I was always after a more workmanlike look than luxury penthouse (on a boat = yuck ), and already knew that I would be happy to accept (would not notice?!) much of my own future wear and tear.........

.....whilst making things sound is obviously a fundamental requirement - making things "Just so" takes a lot of extra time and effort, including mentally - especially when skills not always up to acheiving that first time around .......but on that I am getting better .
Old 07-04-2012, 20:46   #179

My little sloop is a plastic 40 year old , having it fit is more important than finish. Actually I like the well used look as I hope that may deter certain types from taking a fancy to bits and pieces of her.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:50   #180
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I feel the same way. My boat is 35 years old and I want everything to work well but shine is not important.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb