Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 04:41   #481
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

being right at the bottom of the curve in refurbing an old boat I read this with great interest. Great thread, by the way.

And as I look back at the hundreds of hours I've put in ripping out old stuff and fixing leaks, and forward to the thousands of hours I have yet to go installing all my own electronics, painting, rebedding everything on board, getting into electronic troubleshooting, overhauling my own obsolete Yanmars....what I am getting from this thread is that if you buy an old boat expecting to refurbish it and make money on it, you're basically a fool that just does not yet understand boats.

Kind of like marrying a woman that you think has good potential, hoping to invest some time and money and then sell her at a profit.

Fool. That's not why you get married.

Nor why you buy an old boat.
Old 19-02-2014, 05:29   #482

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am entering the 3rd year of refurbishing Neala. Going to order an autopilot from CPT - really a good service and info that I received from none of the big brands overhere.
Have to paint anew the transom because of the welding of brackets for the davits and then the interior upgrade can begin. I am very happy alltogether and though I could wish for somewhat bigger, I am still content with what I have.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 18:22   #483

Perhaps I am a fool...

The wife and I bought an old sailboat. 1972 Morgan....She sailed ok. We didn't know much at time. Wife and I spent time on learning together to sail. Brought her up to new mooring. That was fun as lost forestay with roller furling on.....in 6 foot seas and 45 mph gale! Still alive and have mast and boat. Fun memories.

We spent more time together last year just going to check on old girl than we have in a long time. Simple beer or wine at sunset was priceless.

Been buying refitting supplies over long cold Midwest winter. Buy when on sale and have plan. Blisters ground off in November and bottom work to come.

Was probably not best choice of boats. But I have no regrets. Will win some club races...cruise to a few places that most don't go. I have no payment...even for add on stuff...always pay cash. I think a boat is just a hole in the water. Learned that long ago. But if can get the value from that....it is priceless.

This boat costs me less than a cruise....even with repairs and mooring if do myself. Will get money back in ways cannot be measures.

My first post here so ...Hello
jsmiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 18:46   #484

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Great idea for a thread, DOJ. er, 2.5 years old. Well I haven't been around here much lately, going through a seasonal refit of an old boat in Mexico, as it happens. Skilled labor and fabricators are abundant here, but materials and items marine are not, and costly when they are. Just to add data while skimming, I estimate my rehab costs for my 40' motorsailor have been 55% or so of low purchase price. I think I'll go back and read some of this thread now. cheers.
Old 24-02-2014, 05:39   #485

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Hmmmm....like any boat, by the time you finish refurbing it's about time to start rebedding the deck equipment you first installed. Whether it's in the water or not you never really finish a boat.
I had to laugh when my wife asked me why we had to varnish the teak again, didn't we do it last year?
Usually the only way I've recouped the cost of totally refurbing an older boat was owning it for a few years and enjoying the benefits of a refitted boat, it's really nice when you flip a switch and the item actually works.
The only way I've ever made money on a boat was when I bought it low enough to do a quick turn around, usually something I found at an insurance auction, a little hull damage scares away most of the inexperienced dreamers, but you have to pass on a lot of junk before you find one.
You have to dig in for the long haul if your looking to fix up and own one, refurbing it becomes your new "hobby", sailing it is the pay off.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 17:55   #486

Boat: CT-41

Just over a year doing refit on my CT-41.

Sold everything I could, gave or threw away everything I could not sell and had no purpose on the boat. Moved aboard two days before closing the deal, still have not left the dock but getting close. I know with certainty that as soon as I get done, will be time to start over. Don't regret a moment of it.

Mistakes are inevitable. Bad decisions are inevitable. Disappointments are inevitable. An incredible learning opportunity is inevitable. Joy, love, and the wildest adventure you can imagine is possible, but depends entirely on your attitude. Enjoy every moment of the job, or you ain't doing it right.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:22   #487
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post

Mistakes are inevitable. Bad decisions are inevitable. Disappointments are inevitable. An incredible learning opportunity is inevitable.
That is one thing that has not previously been mentioned in this thread! and nicely put.

Unfortunately you don't win a prize .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:36   #488

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I am entering the 3rd year of refurbishing Neala. Going to order an autopilot from CPT - really a good service and info that I received from none of the big brands overhere.
have had my cpt autopilot ten years now. the only wheel drive pilot that will steer a boat over 16000 lbs. and the guy that runs the company, jeff, is really helpful and knowledgeable. great company and great autopilot....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:57   #489

Boat: CT-41

Wrong, David, I did win a prize. The prize of continuing an enthusiastic, joyful life instead of ending up an old man sitting in front of a TV. May you too, win a prize.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 01:01   #490

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
have had my cpt autopilot ten years now. the only wheel drive pilot that will steer a boat over 16000 lbs. and the guy that runs the company, jeff, is really helpful and knowledgeable. great company and great autopilot....
I got that feeling too the moment I received the full info from Jeff as a reply to my inquiry. The good brands have been swallowed by the mass production industry and they do not have the qualified staff to give you a good service.
For the brands that could offer a quality service my boat is too small and my wallet too thin. CPT was the only company capable of giving me the feeling that my money would not be wasted. Even if they are in based the US and having no representation in Europe.

As solosailor a reliable autopilot is essential important.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 01:20   #491

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiggs View Post
Perhaps I am a fool...

The wife and I bought an old sailboat. 1972 Morgan....She sailed ok. We didn't know much at time. Wife and I spent time on learning together to sail. Brought her up to new mooring. That was fun as lost forestay with roller furling on.....in 6 foot seas and 45 mph gale! Still alive and have mast and boat. Fun memories.

We spent more time together last year just going to check on old girl than we have in a long time. Simple beer or wine at sunset was priceless.

Been buying refitting supplies over long cold Midwest winter. Buy when on sale and have plan. Blisters ground off in November and bottom work to come.

Was probably not best choice of boats. But I have no regrets. Will win some club races...cruise to a few places that most don't go. I have no payment...even for add on stuff...always pay cash. I think a boat is just a hole in the water. Learned that long ago. But if can get the value from that....it is priceless.

This boat costs me less than a cruise....even with repairs and mooring if do myself. Will get money back in ways cannot be measures.

My first post here so ...Hello

Welcome aboard jsmiggs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:02   #492

This is a GREAT thread, thanks! I just acquired a "gift" boat. The boat was on the hard but filled with fresh water. We drilled a couple of holes in the bottom to drain. Surprise! the Yanmar actually turns over by hand! Anyway, I just want to share with everyone an amazing boat dry storage yard. In Northeast Florida, St. Augustine. About 45 miles south of Jacksonville. $50/mo!!!!! I can work on it whenever I want and pretty much do whatever I want to it, includes electric and water. The only drawback is that the boat, either power or sail, needs to be on a trailer or it has to be brought by a hydraulic trailer and put on boat stands, which is what I did. The storage yard is maybe 3 or 4 miles from the water. At only $50/mo, I'll have some money left to spend on boat stuff. Check it out: Douglas Business Park & Storage
lambchop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:13   #493

Boat: Watkins 27

There are some excellent posts in this thread and I'm grateful to all contributors.

I bought my boat for its sound hull, deck and spars. Everything else, IMO, is frosting.

I COULD easily spend 5 times what I paid for the boat in refurbishing and upgrading it and that's assuming little or no hired labor, which would double that number again. But I won't.

I'm a sailor not an artisan. The pride of ownership and the admiration of others that comes from a beautiful boat is a wonderful thing but it's not what motivates me. Perfection is a worthwhile, if unachievable, goal but MY goal is "good enough." I can live with ugly as long as my boat is safe and sound.

My skills as a craftsman are limited to having a vague notion of which end of the screwdriver to hit the nail with. But I learn fast and well. I learned to fly jets, I can learn the skills I need to keep the water outside and the people inside of my boat.
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 11:14   #494

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPelican View Post
There are some excellent posts in this thread and I'm grateful to all contributors.

I bought my boat for its sound hull, deck and spars. Everything else, IMO, is frosting.

I COULD easily spend 5 times what I paid for the boat in refurbishing and upgrading it and that's assuming little or no hired labor, which would double that number again. But I won't.

I'm a sailor not an artisan. The pride of ownership and the admiration of others that comes from a beautiful boat is a wonderful thing but it's not what motivates me. Perfection is a worthwhile, if unachievable, goal but MY goal is "good enough." I can live with ugly as long as my boat is safe and sound.

My skills as a craftsman are limited to having a vague notion of which end of the screwdriver to hit the nail with. But I learn fast and well. I learned to fly jets, I can learn the skills I need to keep the water outside and the people inside of my boat.

My last survey, a couple years ago, stated the replacement value of my rebuilt boat was over $200K and I wasn't finished yet. But I had spent less then half that in all new gear and equipment. It's the labor that would be the kicker. I kept my nose to the grinder whenever I had time for 12 years to get it nearly finished. A set of solar panels, the head liner and it basically done. I'm already starting maintenance now.
Old 20-05-2014, 11:24   #495

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

A wiser person than me once told me that no matter how much time and money he spent on his old boat it was never going to be a Steinway Piano. I'll add that no matter how nice I get my boat it doesn't stay that way long. So relax and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb