Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 13:18   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Refurbishing a Zinc Anode

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It would only benefit if the other end of the wire was attached to the engine block or gearbox.
And even then the benefit is questionable, as the amount of protection provided by an anode is reduced by the increased resistance created by a long connection run and the inherent multiple connections.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 13:19   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
some say it lasts longer, I'm not so sure ... too many variables.
Honest question: How much corrosion protection is needed in fresh water? Seems a different set of issues than salt water.

Jim
Old 09-10-2017, 13:31   #48

As long as you felt there was enough anode left to last another year or til your next haul-out, all that is necessary is to pressure wash them clean, usually done when the boat is hauled out, or by a diver, using a stainless steel wire brush only. I would not grind them at all.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 13:36   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
And even then the benefit is questionable, as the amount of protection provided by an anode is reduced by the increased resistance created by a long connection run and the inherent multiple connections.
Well my hanging zinc is getting eaten and my prop zinc is lasting a lot longer now than it was before I added the hanging one. ( I use old big boat hull plate zinc's larger surface area). Free from most boat yards in my area.
Old 09-10-2017, 13:43   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
As long as you felt there was enough anode left to last another year or til your next haul-out, all that is necessary is to pressure wash them clean, usually done when the boat is hauled out, or by a diver, using a stainless steel wire brush only. I would not grind them at all.
I didn't haul the boat out. The one on the hull is fine, brushed it off myself just the other day. The refurbished anode is the prior anode I found laying around in a compartment.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 13:59   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Honest question: How much corrosion protection is needed in fresh water? Seems a different set of issues than salt water.

Jim
Galvanic corrosion in fresh water is significantly lower than in salt water but it does occur if the stars and stupidity align i.e. letting bottom paint contact i/o assemblies or worse painting those assemblies with anti-fouling or using zinc anodes which will last forever.

Fresh water varies considerably from harbour to harbour as some pollutants in the right density may be even more conductive than salt water.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:32   #52

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Two comments:

1:. Use aluminum, not zinc. Zinc forms an innerting crust, and causes some environmental concern. Al does not form a crust, and works better. Yes, we've used zinc forever -- we were wrong.
2:. A external anode (guppy) will provide additional protection and extend the life of your prop anode. Just make sure it is connected to the ground system. On sailboats, a shroud usually works for this.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:58   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Two comments:

1:. Use aluminum, not zinc. Zinc forms an innerting crust, and causes some environmental concern. Al does not form a crust, and works better. Yes, we've used zinc forever -- we were wrong.
2:. A external anode (guppy) will provide additional protection and extend the life of your prop anode. Just make sure it is connected to the ground system. On sailboats, a shroud usually works for this.
A shroud only works if the chain plate is connected to the vessels bonding strap system personally I would recommend running the "guppy" to the bonding system not just clipped to a shroud.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:12   #54

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_K View Post
The chemical composition of the zinc anode is critically important. Iron needs to be limited to 0.025 weight percent of the anode. With a high iron content the zinc will form a crust and cease to be a sacrificial anode. I did a failure analysis of a very large steel ship that suffered millions of dollars damage due to pitting of the hull. To "save" money they bought anodes made in someone's basement that contained much higher iron than the specification allowed. All the zincs formed this crust and allowed the pitting to occur. Please be very careful with your zincs.
I attended a seminar at the Annapolis boat show conducted by Bob Campbell.
He was very specific about cheap alloyed zincs available these days. He said they reach a corrosion level that insulates them from contact with the water and then you have little to know protection.

He said only use Mil Spec zincs that are pure. you can tell they are Mil Spec because they have it stamped into the zinc.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:02   #55

Boat: Able 50

No one should connect any zinc grounding wires to a shroud regardless of how good the bonding system below might be. Stainless steel is not a good conductor.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:14   #56

OK, I'll bite. On my boat, my shrouds are tied into the grounding system. I'm pretty sure it's an ABYC requirement, but I could be wrong. I know it was stock configuration on my '79 Sabre. But perhaps on other boats it's not done that way. On my boat, the portion of the stainless that is in the circuit is about 8" (the chainplate down to the grounding wire), and fairly trivial resistance. I built my own "guppy" so my wire is copper and my alligator clip is solid copper, unlike commercial ones that use a stainless cable and a copper coated steel alligator clip, so I'm probably ahead of commercial varieties.

So, for those that don't use the shroud, how do you run it? On my boat, that would be down the companionway to the engine block is probably the closest run. Messy, but it does avoid the stainless chainplate.
Old 10-10-2017, 13:17   #57

Oh -- the big reason I built my own guppy is that, as far as I can tell, no one sells an aluminum guppy yet. Besides, it's cheaper that way. Buy a nice big aluminum "divers delight," bolt it to a length of #10 copper with a copper alligator clip on the end. And when the guppy wastes away (about 2-3 years), you only need to replace the anode.
Old 10-10-2017, 14:40   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
OK, I'll bite. On my boat, my shrouds are tied into the grounding system. I'm pretty sure it's an ABYC requirement, but I could be wrong. I know it was stock configuration on my '79 Sabre. But perhaps on other boats it's not done that way. On my boat, the portion of the stainless that is in the circuit is about 8" (the chainplate down to the grounding wire), and fairly trivial resistance. I built my own "guppy" so my wire is copper and my alligator clip is solid copper, unlike commercial ones that use a stainless cable and a copper coated steel alligator clip, so I'm probably ahead of commercial varieties.

So, for those that don't use the shroud, how do you run it? On my boat, that would be down the companionway to the engine block is probably the closest run. Messy, but it does avoid the stainless chainplate.
I run the cable thru the Dorado vent for the engine room. To the engine block.
Also ABYC standards are recommendations not regulations.
That being said the ABYC have done lots of testing and collection of data to come up with these standards and recommendations. ( means they are a good thing ) .
Old 10-10-2017, 14:45   #59
Marine Service Provider

ABYC Standards do set a standard for bonding requirements from the standing rigging for lightning protection only. No reference is made to galvanic corrosion in this standard. The standards say absolutely nothing about "guppy's".

Guppy's may or may not help depending on placement, conductors and as fastbottoms said ... resistance.
Old 10-10-2017, 15:03   #60
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I run the cable thru the Dorado vent for the engine room. To the engine block.
"Dorade"

Tags
Refurb