Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 06:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Refurbishing Sails

I can't spend the money for a new main right now and have been toying with the idea of refurbishing my current 20-year-old RTW main. It's still got some stiffness, but is soiled in places and showing some age.

I got a quote from a company called Sail Care in Pa. and they would do it for about $300.

Does anyone have experience with this or a similar company? What was the result?
Old 19-08-2010, 06:56   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I can't spend the money for a new main right now and have been toying with the idea of refurbishing my current 20-year-old RTW main. It's still got some stiffness, but is soiled in places and showing some age.

I got a quote from a company called Sail Care in Pa. and they would do it for about $300.

Does anyone have experience with this or a similar company? What was the result?
They have my main right now. I'll won't have it back for a couple weeks so I can't get you a first hand report yet, but I had several people recommend them. They had all used them and had been very pleased. I can say the telephone service was excellent.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

excellent. I'll look forward to hearing from you!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@Doodles,
Did you get your main back yet?
Old 11-09-2010, 17:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
@Doodles,
Did you get your main back yet?
I got the sail back and put it on today. It looks great, almost new. The price was as quoted; however, they did find some needed repairs that were additional costs but very reasonable. And they called me to discuss the repairs and the charges before going ahead with them. I am very pleased and would definitely recommend them and will use them again.
Old 11-09-2010, 20:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I got the sail back and put it on today. It looks great, almost new. The price was as quoted; however, they did find some needed repairs that were additional costs but very reasonable. And they called me to discuss the repairs and the charges before going ahead with them. I am very pleased and would definitely recommend them and will use them again.
So it sounds like you had them re-resin the sail? What kind of shape was it in when you sent it to them?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
So it sounds like you had them re-resin the sail? What kind of shape was it in when you sent it to them?
Yes, they did re-resin the sail.

It was pretty dirty with a lot of stains that we couldn't get out ourselves. We had recently purchased the boat and it had sat for a while stored with the sail on it. While sitting birds had made a nest in the folds and that left the stains. Except for the recent treatment, the sail had been well care for but had seen some miles ... at least one trip to the Med and two trips to the Arctic.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:11   #8
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I received a quote for adding a u/v protection strip to my furler mounted jib, which left me scratching my head. It was explained to me that a u/v strip of cloth would be added along the leach and foot of the jib. They quoted me $10.00 a foot.

Even a small jib would be over $500 to add the strip which seems high to me. Has anyone had this done?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I received a quote for adding a u/v protection strip to my furler mounted jib, which left me scratching my head. It was explained to me that a u/v strip of cloth would be added along the leach and foot of the jib. They quoted me $10.00 a foot.

Even a small jib would be over $500 to add the strip which seems high to me. Has anyone had this done?
I had North do this to my staysail - I don't recall offhand how much it cost, but I remember it being more than expected. (sunbrella's not cheap). I'm going to the boat later today - I'll try to find my reciept for the work I had done. If I still have it, that's where it'll be.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post

Isn't that the strip that covers the exposed part of the sail when the sail is furled? It serves the same purpose as your mail sail cover does for the main.

I though most all furled sails had one. Some are white, some a color to match the other canvas.
Old 12-09-2010, 16:05   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Re-resining will restore some properties of the sail (e.g. may re-lock the threads) but will not restore the strength of the original threads (e.g. due to UV damage). So it is nice such an option exists but one should weigh the cost versus a new sail (as the old one can rip apart anytime).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote