Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 10:28   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Refurbishing The Cabin Sole.

I want to refurbish my cabin soles, which haven’t been touched for many years. The floorboards are the normal Teak with Holly strips of veneer on plywood.
I would like to achieve a shiny finish like I’ve seen on many boats, but I also need a non-slip finish.
Is it possible to achieve this combination?
Old 26-05-2016, 17:53   #2

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Refurbishing The Cabin Sole.

Wait .... is this Dejevu?

I was just thinking along the same line about an hour ago.

My sole is teak(?) plywood with black stain lines that are supposed to represent some exotic something or other wood.

I'll help you wait for an answer.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 17:58   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I would advise against Shiney. Really, I have done several including my own. Build with gloss, but last two coats of rubbed effect or eggshell is a much better finish and hides a million sins. The reflections will accentuate any line that is not perfectly straight. 8 coats of two part Epiphanes will do it, and use gloss for the build coats so you can see the irregularities, sand with a slow orbital. First coat 50% thinned. then 20% next then 10% all subsequent coats. These will be gloss, sand till uniformly grey, recoat, resand, etc until final two of Rubbed Effect. You will love the outcome.
Allow to harden and if you can get a UV (disco) light, 36 hours will harden up before use.
Old 26-05-2016, 18:10   #4

Sand the crap out of the parquet floors - start with 60 grit - then 80 - up to 150 - finish with 180 - 220 grit - then do as SV Gilana saids - you'll love it
btmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:03   #5

Boat: Hylas 49

strip it, bleach it, epoxy coat it and use Cetol natural
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Epiphanes makes a Polyurethane Clear Gloss that is harder than a standard varnish. If you have a carpentry shop near you take the sections of flooring to them and have them run each through an electric planner to level them out, them run through one of those large drum sanders first. This will take care of most of the hard prep work quickly for very little cost.
There are some high gloss polymer coatings that are VERY hard and are used for re-coating bowling alleys that will work as well. These last much longer than a marine product.
Polychem Bowling Products
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 07:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine are high gloss and are not slick at all, until one drop of water gets on it or maybe wet feet, then it's slick as ice.
We use rubber backed throw rugs.
I think the veneer may be thin, be careful with a planer / drum sander.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:09   #8

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have no problem with shiny. I recently re-finished ours. Normal blemishes are really not visible from a few feet away. Bare feet or the right shoes keep the slip down. 8 coats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	125040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	125041  

Old 27-05-2016, 13:05   #9

Thanks for these replies:
Has anyone used one of the anti-slip additives, like Rustoleum or Algrip make? I’ve spoken to both companies and they seem to be the answer to shiny but slippery surfaces. The only thing I was told is that they are more difficult to keep dirt off.
JR
Old 27-05-2016, 13:49   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarino View Post
Sand the crap out of the parquet floors - start with 60 grit - then 80 - up to 150 - finish with 180 - 220 grit
But, the original poster said, "The floorboards are the normal Teak with Holly strips of veneer on plywood." I doubt that he has even 1/32" of teak and holly veneer to remove before he sees the interior of the plywood.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:06   #11

You are aware of course that this is not the first time this question has been asked and answered. I am trying to help, really. This is a perfect example of how Google can help broaden your horizons. It will allow you to connect to many other boating forums, all of which have had this question.

I did ours a few years ago and used 4 coats shiny min-wax. Looks great.

Point being, the only consistent thing is that if you're dealing with a veneer, the top teak & holly is, as mentioned, very thin.

After that, you'll get 10 answers if you ask 5 skippers what to use on the top!

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:17   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
But, the original poster said, "The floorboards are the normal Teak with Holly strips of veneer on plywood." I doubt that he has even 1/32" of teak and holly veneer to remove before he sees the interior of the plywood.
^^^^^Exactly correct, with the boat the age it is and from where it was made.

Dear Jolly,

How I would do this is wash with TSP. Rinse and let dry. Now it's clean. Then, using 120 grit, hand sand with the grain, carefully, till the surface is hazy.

Use the kind of high gloss the high school gymnasium uses. Don't worry about little low places (dings) because the veneer is very thin, although one guy we knew worked out a method, using clear epoxy to built up the dings, then shave and sand the top, and it did disappear them, so there's a way. Just remember this is where you walk, your feet may track in sand which will scuff it, your hands might accidentally drop tools on it. It is not a table in the Smithsonian. It's a cabin sole. Use as many coats as the product recommends.

Incidentally, if you have an airless sprayer, you can spray them, and that goes fast and feels pretty rewarding. At least get them up on saw horses where they are at an easy level to work at. Preferable to have good ventilation and moderately dust-free. (Written by someone who has done it on her knees at the dock in a foreign country where there were sandflies.)

Ann
Old 28-05-2016, 05:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
... I think the veneer may be thin, be careful with a planer / drum sander.
Indeed.
Standard face veneer thickness can be as little as 0.55mm - 0.6mm (0.024") measured before sanding. Premium face veneer thickness should be at least 1.4 mm (0.055") measured before sanding.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:55   #14

I know how to handle veneer. I’ve cut up two 8’ x 4’ sheets and veneered many parts of the boat in the restoration.
My question is more to do with obtaining a non slip finish, and I can’t find an answer in any other forum, or with Google.
The reason I'm adamant about non slip is because, as many members may remember, six months ago I slipped in the saloon and broke both bones in my left leg. I don’t want to repeat that.
I’m in the process of sanding the removable floorboards, and the veneer is between 1mm and 1.25mm, so I have some to work with.
Of course, it’s not just the removable floorboards I want to refurbish, which are the easy bits. It’s the fixed floor which is difficult, with all the nooks and crannies, but the process is the same.
I’m going to experiment on a spare bit of floor with a top coat mixed with Rust-olleum Marine non slip additive and see what happens.
JR
Old 28-05-2016, 09:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My question is more to do with obtaining a non slip finish, and I can’t find an answer in any other forum, or with Google.
JR
Ann wrote: Use the kind of high gloss the high school gymnasium uses.

Basketball courts use non-slip, right? Easy to find.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin sole, Refurb