Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24   #1

Relay the same teak deck...

Is it possible to number and map all the pieces of teak deck, unscrew and remove each piece one by one. Then drill out and epoxy all the holes, and then re epoxy the same teak down and bung all the former screw holes?

Seems like this would be a much simpler job than laying all new teak, saving all the custom bending and cutting, and saving a lot of old teak.

I'd imagine this has been tried? Any input?
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Relay the same teak deck...

why remove it in the first place?

Dave
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this has been done by someone in the leaky teaky yacht club yahoo group, i believe--see my signature for address.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26   #4

Goboating: Looking at a project boat where all the bungs are gone, screws are rusting, and the interior has leak damage. Will definitely need a fix.

Zeehag, thanks for the heads up. Maybe it's time I got involved in the leaky teaky group.. so many sailing sites to keep track of!
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:49   #5

Boat: Boatless

We relaid our deck two years ago in Cartagena, carpenters cost $9/hr. However, the teak was still 6-7 mm thick and came up whole.

We relayed it with sikaflex sealant, rescrewed and put in new teak bungs. It took two carpenters 5 hard weeks of work to do our 55 .

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sounds like a major nightmare!
bare in mind that the teak will need any glue and polysulfide removing,corroded screws.
then it will need re thicknessing through a planer etc ,loosing about 30% of its volume.

hardly seems cost effective if you are going to spend xx amount on glue,caulking and fasteners plus labour to do a mediocre job and end up with very thin decking.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd just remove the teak and go with a glass deck and non skid.

If you want the teak deck, what you propose is doable but very labor intensive. Just cleaning the old caulk off the wood and the deck could take weeks. Filling the screw pukas is the fast part. Relaying the teak and gluing it down will probably be the easiest job since the wood is already prebent to shape. I can just see the hours and dollars adding up and up to do the project.

As far as thickness of the relaid teak, it probably would be still be thicker than most new boat's glued teak deck. One of the reasons they've gone to glued teak decks is they can use much thinner teak. Just recently saw repair on an Aussie or NZ built boat with glued teak decks. The teak planking was only about a 1/4" thick and started coming apart after a decade or two because the wood was so thin. On that boat, the owner replaced the teak deck. They used a company out of somewhere on the US West Coast that prefabbed the wood already cut to fit and shipped it to Hawaii. Think they flew someone out from the supplier to do the design and measuring. The new deck was 1/2" thick and looked like it would go together very nicely. The carpenter who did the work was very experienced and very good which helped a good deal I'm sure. I saw the kit laid out on the shop floor before it was installed and it looked like it was well done. Haven't talked with the carpenter to see how the actual install went, however. One thing, bet it wasn't cheap. The boat sat in the yard for well over a month, maybe two, with tearing off the old deck, measuring, fabricating and shipping the new deck, and the installation so lay days in the yard alone were into the thousands. Airfare and hotel for the guy who did the measuring would be at least a boat unit unless he combined it with a vacation in the islands.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck