Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 19:24   #1

Remediating Old Teak Decks

I know that original teak decks on ~30 year old boats are a liability and that replacement is expensive (in the $40,000 range for a 45 footer). But what alternatives are there? Why can't you just leave what's there and cover it with a synthetic surface that seals the leaks and provides a grippy surface?
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 20:17   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Remediating Old Teak Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror16 View Post
I know that original teak decks on ~30 year old boats are a liability and that replacement is expensive (in the $40,000 range for a 45 footer). But what alternatives are there? Why can't you just leave what's there and cover it with a synthetic surface that seals the leaks and provides a grippy surface?
$45k? The wood alone will cost that much. The job is $100k.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31   #3

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
If the fg decks are cored and the teak decking in poor condition you'd be sealing that moisture in forever. Delamination would occur.

That said, I've known several folks that pulled the teak off, repaired any core rot/delam, faired & filled the thousands of screw holes and just painted/nonskidded the decks.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
$45k? The wood alone will cost that much. The job is $100k.
Maybe in the USA, but there are countries where it can be done for much less. Very skilled craftsmen here in Italy willing to do it for less than half that price.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55   #5

Boat: Hudson 50

My boat has 30 year old teak deck and yes they are are liability but I've found that with some regular maintenance I've been able to keep the deck in reasonable shape. If there is still pretty good thickness in the teak plants and only a few soft spots here and there you might try the following...
- select a small area of the deck - 4x4
-remove the teak screw plugs and screws
-drill a small hole into the core below each screw- be careful not to go too deep
-inject a penetrating epoxy into each hole until it is full and saturated. Smiths penetrating epoxy works well. This may take several applications to fully saturate the core. Keep checking below for leaks
-drill new counter sunk holes and install new screws and plugs
-check the seams between the planks. This might be a good time to recall
-sand and bleach if necessary and apply a good sealer ever 6 months

This is a slow difficult approach but it will hopefully keep your decks in reasonable shape until you decide on a permanent solution. Ultimately I'll probably need to replace my decks with new teak but I'll wait until I'm in Thailand or Malaysia where the costs are more in line with my budget.
Best of luck could with your project.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Maybe in the USA, but there are countries where it can be done for much less. Very skilled craftsmen here in Italy willing to do it for less than half that price.
Sounds like I should make a future trip to Italy! Actually, I had three quotes to replace the deck, two from the USA ($100k) and one from Mexico (also $100k). I always viewed Europe as more expensive than Mexico, but it is good to know there are craftsmen out there.

I ended up having the caulk removed, then the deck sanded with 80 grit, recaulk, and sand again with 120 grit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	149170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	149171  

Old 04-06-2017, 12:04   #7

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
We took off the teak deck completely and put down 5 to 7 layers of 17oz bi-axial cloth with epoxy on top of the deck that was under the teak.

The entire job cost about 2,000$US and the deck is hull-strength and lighter than the teak. We had the deck off in a day. Then removed a thousand screws, sanded the deck to clean away the bedding compounds. Then filled the thousand screw holes with epoxy using a toothpick. Then sanded again and started laying fiberglass cloth in about 24 - 30" pieces, cut from a roll of cloth that was 12" wide. Each piece needed about 8 oz of epoxy and we mixed only that much at a time. Piece by piece, layer by layer. If it set before the next layer, I sanded to clean and provide a clean surface.
We spent most of 2 weeks and had a $40,000 job done for very little money and we knew it was done right.
Faired with epoxy paste and painted with non-skid.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:07   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Sounds like I should make a future trip to Italy! Actually, I had three quotes to replace the deck, two from the USA ($100k) and one from Mexico (also $100k). I always viewed Europe as more expensive than Mexico, but it is good to know there are craftsmen out there.

I ended up having the caulk removed, then the deck sanded with 80 grit, recaulk, and sand again with 120 grit.
Wow the end results look really nice. What did that end up costing, if you don't mind my asking?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 13:27   #9
cruiser

Quote:

I think the difference is...

In America, they see you coming and charge what they think you should pay and do the work when they feel like it.

In Mexico, they see you coming as a rich American/European and charge whatever they think you can afford.

In Spain, you pay lots unless you can get rid of the English speaking middle man/facilitator, otherwise prices are reasonable.

In The UK... just hand them your wallet, because you won't get your boat back until they take as much as they can, for as little work as possible.

In Italy... I've never noticed any of that sort of behavior from the professional craftsman. I've been recommended to good people, who do what they say they're going to do within a timetable that's promised. The workmanship is excellent and I've never felt that I was charged more because I'm a foreigner.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 13:42   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think the difference is...

In America, they see you coming and charge what they think you should pay and do the work when they feel like it.

In Mexico, they see you coming as a rich American/European and charge whatever they think you can afford.

In Spain, you pay lots unless you can get rid of the English speaking middle man/facilitator, otherwise prices are reasonable.

In The UK... just hand them your wallet, because you won't get your boat back until they take as much as they can, for as little work as possible.

In Italy... I've never noticed any of that sort of behavior from the professional craftsman. I've been recommended to good people, who do what they say they're going to do within a timetable that's promised. The workmanship is excellent and I've never felt that I was charged more because I'm a foreigner.
Thanks, good to know. And not to sterotype, but does anyone else have something to add to this? About the mentioned countries, & or, other ones.

For the OP:
- Tear off the current (bad teak)
- Remove any bad core
- Check glass for cracking, & repair as needed
- Replace any removed core. Adding solid blocking for hardware as needed/if needed. Including using G10 underneath of some deck hardware, so that it can be directly blind tapped for fasteners. Much as is done with metal decks, so no leaks.
- Glass decks (add top skin)
- Paint with nonskid, or add Treadmaster or similar

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:00   #11

Boat: Hudson 50

Looks very good. You might want to try a few coats of Semco Natural Sealer if you want to maintain that nice raw teak look
Old 04-06-2017, 14:48   #12

Boat: Island Packet 420

Depending on where you are located, you might try checking out the new "artificial" teak decking that is now available. It is made from PVC and some of them look so good, I would dare you to tell it is not teak. It has zero maintenance and is glued down.

Check out Flexiteek in the US and Tek-Dek in Europe.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:53   #13

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

There was a 50' or so Trawler that use to stop at our marina while doing the loop. They had someone come out and spray the teak decks with Linex I believe. They were very happy with it for at least the next few years I saw the boat.
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 15:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Wow the end results look really nice. What did that end up costing, if you don't mind my asking?
About $15k. It was an entire month of labor, and 2-3 cases of TDS caulk.
Old 04-06-2017, 16:59   #15
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Subscribed!

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck