Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 04:50   #16

Boat: 44 footer
Re: Remodeling a salon .....

Hallberg Rassy started putting in salon chairs and recliners around 1986/1987 and have somewhat remained the only ones to do it.

I like the idea on my own boat, but if it is something that will be sold in the next few years I'd imagine most would rather see a settee.

Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaman9 View Post
Thanks for the advice.....my only concern with reupholstering the cushions would be that if I do that first and then get the Formica addressed then everything might be too light. I definitely have to remove, resurface or cover the Formica in some way since it is the style and the darkness of the finish that the wife does not like. If I change the cushion coverings and then address the Formica the absence of contrast with the cushions might be odd looking. We have a fair amount of time to get this done, we have owned her for 7 months and don't plan to move aboard until December of 2015.

SV KITTY HAWK
WADR, nonsense.

In most industries they have things called "mockups" which are specifically intended to show what things will look like AFTER changes are made.

In your case, you can go to a store and buy some bedding sheets and cover the cushions to see what they'd look like. I assume that you have some "basic" idea of the colors and hues you'd like, so it doesn't have to perfect, but close.

Then get some white paper or any other color you're contemplating and lay it on the horizontal surfaces. Do the same for the sliding doors.

That way you can tell if it's too light.

Play around with it. Sometimes you only have to do say a half or a quarter of the saloon to figure it out.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Mock ups are very effective... However, if you hate the Formica, rough it up a bit and paint it with high quality paint. It's a relatively small space and a quart will cover more than you expect.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:53   #19

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi there,

I have the same boat as you, a 1979 CSY WO. I ended up just sanding and painting the salon formica white. It was a bit of work, as the formica required 4 coats to cover the wood grain, not to mention the dust The difference is amazing, even with dark cushions. I advise to paint the walls first and then see what else you want to do.

I also have a large mirror on the port forward bulkhead which adds lots of light to the salon.

BTW, these are amazing boats! I sailed from Los Angeles down to La Paz and had a blast. Now I cruise the Sea of Cortez in her, and it is just a great boat.

Good luck with your projects.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:53   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

I would suggest replacing the existing formica with new formica of a lighter color. You'll have to pull the wood trim around the cubbys, but assuming it's installed with plugged screws that should not be too difficult. Formica runs about $50/sheet. It's advantage is it's durability and ease of cleaning...do it once and you won't have to repaint, or deal with cleaning paint.

I replaced the port lights in my boat this past winter and in the process had to sacrifice the existing formica along the sides of the cabin. The port lights were installed with 5200 and it was impossible to get them out without cracking the formica. The old formica came off very easily, either because it was poorly installed in the first place or because the cement had succumbed to flexing over 27 years. It popped off with minimal chiseling involved, I sanded the plywood underneath smooth, created patterns for the new formica panels out of strips of luan and a glue gun, cut the laminate with a laminate router, and installed with laminate cement. It looks perfect, in part because they still sell Formica in the same color ivory that they did 27 years ago.

If I were you I would NOT paint your finished woodwork. It will never look as good, and will actually require more maintenance than the existing finish as it will show dirt and marks much more starkly, particularly if it's a light color. Find other ways to brighten up the interior.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 16:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
WADR, nonsense.

In most industries they have things called "mockups" which are specifically intended to show what things will look like AFTER changes are made.

In your case, you can go to a store and buy some bedding sheets and cover the cushions to see what they'd look like. I assume that you have some "basic" idea of the colors and hues you'd like, so it doesn't have to perfect, but close.

Then get some white paper or any other color you're contemplating and lay it on the horizontal surfaces. Do the same for the sliding doors.

That way you can tell if it's too light.

Play around with it. Sometimes you only have to do say a half or a quarter of the saloon to figure it out.

Good luck.

Maybe I should have said....."I don't want light walls and light cushions".... I'm just trying to find the happy medium that will satisfy the admiral and keep me from tearing out all the bulkheads....or ripping the Formica off and recovering it all....since the Formica is a "must do" and the cushions are a "might do" they can wait.....I'm no interior designer but I prefer things that are less trendy and more enduring and low maintenance ....But not "Walnut Formica enduring" haha

SV KITTY HAWK
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 16:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi there,

I have the same boat as you, a 1979 CSY WO. I ended up just sanding and painting the salon formica white. It was a bit of work, as the formica required 4 coats to cover the wood grain, not to mention the dust The difference is amazing, even with dark cushions. I advise to paint the walls first and then see what else you want to do.

I also have a large mirror on the port forward bulkhead which adds lots of light to the salon.

BTW, these are amazing boats! I sailed from Los Angeles down to La Paz and had a blast. Now I cruise the Sea of Cortez in her, and it is just a great boat.

Good luck with your projects.

Cheers, Bill

We've only had our boat since December of 2013 but we love it so far....we are trying to make our aesthetic and small comfort modifications before we move aboard in December of 2015. She's amazingly solid and has a very sea kindly motion. I considered a mirror on that same bulkhead but the Admiral was a veto on that one....I'll post some photos when aim get her wrapped up....thanks!!!

Are you on the CSY owners group?

SV KITTY HAWK
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, salon