Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2024, 11:56   #1

Boat: 2001 Hunter 340
Remove Stuck Propane Tanks

Previous owners never moved the steel tanks in the locker and they rusted and are swollen in place. I've been pouring CLR and Lime Away over the tanks to try and dissolve the rust but they will not budge due to the swelling. Even tried banging them loose with a rubber mallet.

I'm thinking a 2x4 across the locker with a jack of some kind (small bottle-type or scissor) on the board, chain or rope over the jack tied to the tank and lift. Hopefully there is enough space between the tank and board so they will pop out?

The locker liner looks like a plastic tub sealed in place with whatever caulking Hunter used. Not sure if forcing the tanks up will break the tub or cause some other issue.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	290459  
SV-Essayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 12:43   #2

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: Remove Stuck Propane Tanks

I guess you're not the only one...

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...k-help.130226/

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...e-tank.188849/
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 12:52   #3

A couple of thoughts:

First, are you sure they are not somehow bolted in place? It would be a shame to force them out to find out that they were attached to a bracket or something the whole time. Or worse, they might be glued?

Second, you've probably thought of this already, but you should make sure the tanks are completely empty before getting too aggressive. Even if you leave the valves open, some gas will remain inside, so be cognizant of that.

I would try to get under the tub and have a look. On my boat, that would be possible either through one of the quarter berths or via a crawlspace which is accessible through a cockpit locker. Not sure how/if it is possible on your boat.

Finally, I would probably try a pry bar of some sort between the side of the tank and the side of the locker. The tank and the tub will flex quite differently, so working the tank side-to-side a bit could weaken their bond.

As a bonus "why not" strategy, you could pour hot water into the locker, provided it is not so hot that it warps the plastic tub. The steel tank will expand with the heat, perhaps weakening the bond.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 12:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
Thanks,

Saw those but they didn't seem to offer too much in the way of actually getting the tanks out. Just what I've already tried (CLR, etc...) and what to do afterwards.
Old 30-05-2024, 12:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
A couple of thoughts:

First, are you sure they are not somehow bolted in place? It would be a shame to force them out to find out that they were attached to a bracket or something the whole time. Or worse, they might be glued?

Second, you've probably thought of this already, but you should make sure the tanks are completely empty before getting too aggressive. Even if you leave the valves open, some gas will remain inside, so be cognizant of that.

I would try to get under the tub and have a look. On my boat, that would be possible either through one of the quarter berths or via a crawlspace which is accessible through a cockpit locker. Not sure how/if it is possible on your boat.

Finally, I would probably try a pry bar of some sort between the side of the tank and the side of the locker. The tank and the tub will flex quite differently, so working the tank side-to-side a bit could weaken their bond.

As a bonus "why not" strategy, you could pour hot water into the locker, provided it is not so hot that it warps the plastic tub. The steel tank will expand with the heat, perhaps weakening the bond.
Haven't dug into whether they are bolted in or not. Might be able to through the lazarette or quarter berth.

They are empty.

Am planning on looking at the toolbox at the house to see what prybars I have. I've already tried prying and twisting with one of those over-large screwdrivers that come in the sets that you only use for this sort of task and never really to turn a screw because they are just that big.

Hadn't thought about the hot water idea. I will definitely give that one a try.
Old 30-05-2024, 13:00   #6

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Essayons View Post
Thanks,

Saw those but they didn't seem to offer too much in the way of actually getting the tanks out. Just what I've already tried (CLR, etc...) and what to do afterwards.
Yeah, I think they did exactly what you're doing... trying different rust-breaking solvents and persuaders until success.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 13:07   #7

I just had another novel thought. You might try tying a loop of low-stretch cordage between the handles of the two tanks. Then, using a stick, twist the cordage to tighten the loop. Eventually, one of the tanks will give way. Then, you're in a better position to work on the other tank.

Here is a crude sketch. The red is low-stretch cordage. The green is some sort of stick used to twist the cordage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loop.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	290460  
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 13:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
I just had another novel thought. You might try tying a loop of low-stretch cordage between the handles of the two tanks. Then, using a stick, twist the cordage to tighten the loop. Eventually, one of the tanks will give way. Then, you're in a better position to work on the other tank.

Here is a crude sketch. The red is low-stretch cordage. The green is some sort of stick used to twist the cordage.
I like that. Had been thinking of the "twisting a loop" concept to lift them but couldn't see how I might do that. Hadn't considered twisting them together.
Old 30-05-2024, 13:29   #9

Quote:
I like that. Had been thinking of the "twisting a loop" concept to lift them but couldn't see how I might do that. Hadn't considered twisting them together.

That is known as a "Spanish Windlass" and can generate fairly substantial force.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 14:05   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Not sure if it would help in this instance, but I have found with many stuck-in-place things that instead of pulling on it I first push it down into place, thereby breaking the seal. In other words, possibly try putting something like a 2X4 across the tops of both tanks and then use your body weight to push them down hard. Might break the seal.
Old 30-05-2024, 14:08   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

That looks like a bracket on the bottom holding them in place. How much have you fussed with that? There may be some bolts, or a way to move the bracket to unlock it.
Old 30-05-2024, 14:18   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I agree with wholybee - that sure looks like there is a hold down bracket at the bottom. There looks like plenty of clearance around the tanks and they're not very rusty. The locker appearst to have "draft" (wider at the top than the bottom) so very unlikely they'd rust in place to where you couldn't easily wiggle and lift them up. 99% sure they're secured down at the base.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 14:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
That looks like a bracket on the bottom holding them in place. How much have you fussed with that? There may be some bolts, or a way to move the bracket to unlock it.
Yeah, from the photo I am having a hard time figuring out how they could possibly be wedged in so badly that you can’t get them out. There appears to be a gap between the two tanks and they are only making contact with two sides of the locker each.

Are you absolutely certain of this rusting/swelling explanation?
fregata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 17:19   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Try rotating tanks-ccw & cw.? / Len
Old 30-05-2024, 18:51   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Previous owners never moved the steel tanks in the locker and they rusted and are swollen in place. I've been pouring CLR and Lime Away over the tanks to try and dissolve the rust but they will not budge due to the swelling. Even tried banging them loose with a rubber mallet.

I'm thinking a 2x4 across the locker with a jack of some kind (small bottle-type or scissor) on the board, chain or rope over the jack tied to the tank and lift. Hopefully there is enough space between the tank and board so they will pop out?

The locker liner looks like a plastic tub sealed in place with whatever caulking Hunter used. Not sure if forcing the tanks up will break the tub or cause some other issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

What is that circular thing right in front of the plastic quart bottle?
Is it a hold down device?

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tanks