Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 17:32   #1

Removing a Teak Deck and Prices

I am looking at purchasing a 53' boat with a very old teak deck. I would love a guestimate from some of you with experience. I really want a non teak no skid deck. Any suggestions of a reasonable price to pay? That is given the hope that there isn't any soft spots.
Happy day!
Patti21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 18:13   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Removing a teak deck and prices

More than 5000$ for sure if this help... 53 ft is a lot of teak, screws, and old caulking...later come the part to evaluate the deck condition, as you say if no soft spots, cool. sand and prep the deck with fillers and epoxy, primers and finally top coat... The paint crew here finish to spray a 44 ft deck with awlgrip, cost around 9000 $ ... cabin top cockpit , everything.... i guess you want to paint just the teak sections or all the deck?? Nice project....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 18:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

price to pay for what? the boat,a new teak deck or a strip down and resurface with nonslip?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 18:29   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti21 View Post
I am looking at purchasing a 53' boat with a very old teak deck. I would love a guestimate from some of you with experience. I really want a non teak no skid deck. Any suggestions of a reasonable price to pay? That is given the hope that there isn't any soft spots.
Happy day!

I just did mine. Depends on a lot of factors, but prepare to shell out big bucks if you cant do it yourself, and slightly less big bucks if you can. I think the old saw of "if you have to ask you can't afford it" may be true when it comes to this sort of thing....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 19:45   #5

Removing the teak and doing non skid coating!
Patti21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 17:10   #6

Couple of things come to mind. Is your deck balsa/foam core or solid? Is there evidence of leakage on the headliner? 10 years ago with a cored deck (balsa wood was mush) cost $9000 US in labor and $6,000 US in materials on a 50 footer. We did not replace the teak- went with nonskid.
Sailorman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 17:14   #7

I'm guess $15000 and up to have it done in the US. Will removing the teak require a full deck paint job? Core? If the teak is good enough do you really need to redo the deck?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 17:50   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

The cost is going to be highly variable given 1) location 2) complexity of the deck and 3) condition. On a 53' boat I'm going to say in any major sailing area with competent boatyards, if you get estimates for anything less than $20k then they are probably blowing smoke up your ass. Here in Annapolis that's probably where the estimates would start.

The deck needs to be removed, the holes filled, hardware removed, deck glassed/faired, and then painted, then nonskid applied. The prep and application alone, done properly (sprayed with Alwgrip) will probably run you $10-15k. And that's assuming there are no structural issues.

Of course, any boat with a "very old teak deck" (aka >25 years old) which is in obvious need of replacement is probably going to have core damage.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:22   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We got a quote of $13k in Florida to refinish the deck of a Grand Banks 42 in non-skid--if we took off the old teak and patched the screw holes ourselves. Needless to say, we didn't take the offer.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 22:38   #10

Boat: Gecco 39

I am in the middle of doing my 1982 Gecco39 (pretty much a Swan 39). Condition of core will be a big factor in price. My teak was screwed down with a gummy sealer under. Because the figerglas under had a non skid surface it was not possible to get all the gummy stuff cleaned off. I tried every chemical short of acid. I bought a Metabo siding planer and skinned the gum and gelcoat off, then bought the best Bosch orbital sander and smoothed the deck. Hired a fiberglas guy and helped him lay a heavy bias layer and a mat on top to sand. Took 34 hours to lay the deck hours and the total bill for materials and time with tax was $2800. I am using Upol (bondo type recommended by a good builder from Bellingham) Will probably use 3 gallons @$50 each, then spay of sandable primer (some people roll it on but it is harder to get even) estimating to have that done by a professional if I do all the prep is $400, more sanding, then will spay gelcoat by professional again(lots of people use polyurethane) thinking that will be another $5-600. More sanding, then nonskid. Have got quite a few positive comments on Kiwigrip and looked at a couple boats that had that and it is ok but I am going for a more uniform look more like it just came out of the mold so I will have it spayed on. I have many many hours in removing hardware and prepping surfaces. Friends don't ask friends to sand fiberglas so your social like if shot also.
Bellinghamsailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 23:15   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

I would go to the nearest boat yard and find the shipwright. Show him a few photos of the boat and get a ballpark quote before even contemplating putting a deposit down.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 00:08   #12

What prices are you guys quoting? I have teak over plywood over the frames and if I want to remove the teak I need to:

a) remove all deck fittings
b) remove the teak and fasteners
c) clean the plywood, replace any crap wod
d) epoxy in new plywood that's the same depth as the teak
e) put a finish on

I know several people who did all this work themselves on the hook over the course of a few weeks.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31   #13

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamsailo View Post
I am in the middle of doing my 1982 Gecco39 (pretty much a Swan 39). Condition of core will be a big factor in price. My teak was screwed down with a gummy sealer under. Because the figerglas under had a non skid surface it was not possible to get all the gummy stuff cleaned off. I tried every chemical short of acid. I bought a Metabo siding planer and skinned the gum and gelcoat off, then bought the best Bosch orbital sander and smoothed the deck. Hired a fiberglas guy and helped him lay a heavy bias layer and a mat on top to sand. Took 34 hours to lay the deck hours and the total bill for materials and time with tax was $2800. I am using Upol (bondo type recommended by a good builder from Bellingham) Will probably use 3 gallons @$50 each, then spay of sandable primer (some people roll it on but it is harder to get even) estimating to have that done by a professional if I do all the prep is $400, more sanding, then will spay gelcoat by professional again(lots of people use polyurethane) thinking that will be another $5-600. More sanding, then nonskid. Have got quite a few positive comments on Kiwigrip and looked at a couple boats that had that and it is ok but I am going for a more uniform look more like it just came out of the mold so I will have it spayed on. I have many many hours in removing hardware and prepping surfaces. Friends don't ask friends to sand fiberglas so your social like if shot also.
Gel coat over primer seems odd, wouldn't you want to use a poly or vinylester filler?
I think our fiberglass guy typically mixes his own out of the vinylester resin we buy by the 20l pail.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:17   #14
cruiser

You'll need to provide a few more specifics to get an idea on price. Kind of boat, age condition of the teak etc. Otherwise you're going to get all kinds of guesses.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
What prices are you guys quoting? I have teak over plywood over the frames and if I want to remove the teak I need to:

a) remove all deck fittings
b) remove the teak and fasteners
c) clean the plywood, replace any crap wod
d) epoxy in new plywood that's the same depth as the teak
e) put a finish on

I know several people who did all this work themselves on the hook over the course of a few weeks.
You're sugggesting just painting over plywood? Doesnt seem like that would last long.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paracelle, price, teak deck