Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2022, 05:50   #16

Boat: Southcoast 36
Re: Removing bottom paint and saving my marriage

The sandblast seems very high.

We are in Oz and recently had our 36' dustless sandblasted - many years of antifoul + the poxed barrier coat. Took less than a day and cost about $1500 AUD.

Was going to do a chemical strip and sand - so glad didn't.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:52   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
The surveyor is a sweet guy. He did not notice the crack but did recommend the replacement of a prop anode. Luckily we had one ready.
He might be a sweet guy but I question his worth if he did not even sound the hull.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Sounds like you have a cored hull. Expect to open it up and remove the damaged core. Replace with balsa or a synthetic option then reskin with fiberglass……. Big job.
The Tayana has no core in the hull.
Old 09-12-2022, 19:58   #19

Boat: Tayana 37

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Nothing to do but get her out of the water and get at her. Cheers.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:30   #20

Drywall sander with vacuum attached. Find heavy duty grit . Can rent a home Depot.
Power washer with high pressure nozzle. Br careful not to put hole in bottom of boat or hurt your feet
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:33   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Jamestown Distributors had a video of this tool called a "carver" peeling the bottom pain off of a boat.

Tool:
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...-detail/336495

Video:

It is still a lot of work.

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:39   #22

Boat: Gulf 32

Buddy who had to deal with a lot of blisters "peeled" his boat below the water line, the tool he used (he called it a peeler) was a lot like a portable planer, set the depth and it cuts (not abrades like sand paper) to the depth you set... might look into something like that (sorry I don't have specific tool name). -- Bass
Old 12-12-2022, 07:00   #23

It seems you have 2 issues. The first is one form of delamination. That needs to be the priority. If it is a solid hull as others have said you just need to grind the area out until you you are down to solid glass. Make sure the area is good and dry. Might take awhile. So I would suggest grinding the area out now. Let it dry while you are at the family gathering. If you aren’t handy with Fiberglass work hire someone to glass it in. When you come back you can do any final sanding on the repaired area. Then decide if you need to do the bottom now. If not finish the repaired area and put the boat back in the water.

Tackle one job at a time,
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:00   #24

The drywall sander makes it much easier. It has a 5 foot pipe with Big sander at end. It also vacuums the dust and debris.
Easier on your back.
Same with power washer.
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:03   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Ref comment frm Neil Pride about the way the hull is made in two halves and then joined. Several years ago i was in a Rally from Italy around a rock at northern end of Corsica (Giraglia) then back to Italy. About 2 x 60 Nm. The Giraglia rock has an small underwater obstruction just off its NW side but the owner of the HR48 on which i was sailing decided to go through the narrow passage between this obstruction and Giraglia instead of passing outside like the rest of the fleet. It needed a hard turn to starboard to get through the narrow channel but he called it too late and we hit the rocky obstruction hard with the bulb of the keel. This caused the hull to split just behind the keel and one crew member and i shared the next 8-10 hours manually pumping water out of the bilge while we motored back to Italy. The electric bilge pump had no manual over-ride and the float switch was up on one side of the hull instead of in the bilge. The HR hulls are made in two halves and then bonded together. Maybe this is the same on the OP's boat and was caused by hitting an obstruction.
I discovered later that the reason for the late call on the turn (I was on helm so could not see the GPS position) was the update speed of the position that was showing on the plotter located at the chart table. More recent electronics like NMEA 2000 have a faster update speed.
Andrew
Old 12-12-2022, 07:06   #26

Boat: Island Packet 38 Cutter - Evergreen

Sometimes it is worth paying the money --- especially if it means saving your marriage and possibly the boat.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:08   #27

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Before you grind anything, get some feeler gauges and probe the crack to see how deep it is. If you have an encapsulated keel this might be a superficial layer of non structural glass that covers and fairs the keel/ hull joint. If this is the case you need only relaminate that area. There is really no need to remove all the bottom paint if it's intact and the hull is sound (tap tap with a plastic mallet or screwdriver handle - any dull sounding area is a dream and should be repaired, otherwise put some paint on the repaired area and go sailing!
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:14   #28

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

I'm not going to speculate on the fiberglass issue, but the estimate to sandblast sounds outrageous. I had my 37" Valiant done 25 years ago. It must have had 10 different layers of paint. It took the guy about 4 hours to take it all off down to the barrier coat. I have no idea what I paid then but it wasn't overly expensive.

Just took a quick look on Google and it says sandblasting a boat bottom should be $35-45 a foot. You might call around and try and get some other estimates. $7500 sounds completely out of line.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
I'm not going to speculate on the fiberglass issue, but the estimate to sandblast sounds outrageous. I had my 37" Valiant done 25 years ago. It must have had 10 different layers of paint. It took the guy about 4 hours to take it all off down to the barrier coat. I have no idea what I paid then but it wasn't overly expensive.

Just took a quick look on Google and it says sandblasting a boat bottom should be $35-45 a foot. You might call around and try and get some other estimates. $7500 sounds completely out of line.
By those numbers it is about $1665. There must be more to the quiet. Perhaps it includes fixing the damaged area and stripping and repainting the bottom including materials. It still sounds high.

That said i did a complete bottom job a few years back on full keeled 16’ boat. With an orbital sander down to glass it took me about 40 hours. Can’t tell you how many rest breaks I took in that 40 hours. LOL! OK, I’m a bit older then most.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:41   #30

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
To hell with my happiness.
If this is your feeling about her wanting you to be with her at a family reunion that I would guess has been planned for a while, you have larger issues than the crack in your boat.

As far as the boat goes, this summer we pulled our Catalina 30 for a major refit and bottom job. Hired out the bottom job to a local person who has been doing it for several decades. He used a suit and face mask to keep the dust off him and out of his lungs and sanded the bottom. That took around 5 days from sunup to sunset. We also had him fill in some holes from the OEM thru hull transducers and one 2" seacock. The boat sat for two weeks after sanding and grinding the blisters to dry out. Filler, primmer and two coats of bottom paint. In total that was about $6500.

If you really want to 'save' your marriage, bite the bullet and pay for the boat to be worked on while you are away, or wait until you get back.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint