Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13   #1

Boat: Cascade 36
Removing fixed port frames

I want to replace the crazed glazing in my fixed ports (windows). The glazing is held in large aluminum frames approx 10" x 30" each. The mounting screws are easily removed, but the frames are still being held in by ancient sealant. I spent half a day removing one by brute force and prying tools. The frame got bent and scratched, as well as the adjacent gelcoat. There must be a better way. The cabin wall is about 1/2" thick plywood bonded to the fiberglass outer molded cabintop. I've thought of using a tiny pin router between the frame and cabin. Also, some sort of hot knife might work. Are there any experts out there who know better than me?
Saunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39   #2

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Removing fixed port frames

Not an expert but I've heard that oscillating tools with a smooth blade work great for this.
The Best Oscillating Tools: We Put 9 to the Test - Popular Mechanics
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 19:52   #3

Boat: Cascade 36

Thanks,
I've never used an oscillating multi-tool, but it looks like just the ticket. I'll have to raid the cruising kitty and get one!
Saunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 19:57   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Maybe piano wire and two dowels? Lemme know
if this works, 'cause I'd like to try it.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 20:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Set up 4 to 6 clamps, one in each corner, use a 2 X block now screw down the clamps until they have pressure equal to a hard double hand twist.

Now take a heat gun and heat the frame, working as equally as you can imagine.

Increase the tension on the clamps, as you heat.

Bang, they pop!

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunter View Post
I want to replace the crazed glazing in my fixed ports (windows). The glazing is held in large aluminum frames approx 10" x 30" each. The mounting screws are easily removed, but the frames are still being held in by ancient sealant. I spent half a day removing one by brute force and prying tools. The frame got bent and scratched, as well as the adjacent gelcoat. There must be a better way. The cabin wall is about 1/2" thick plywood bonded to the fiberglass outer molded cabintop. I've thought of using a tiny pin router between the frame and cabin. Also, some sort of hot knife might work. Are there any experts out there who know better than me?
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 20:46   #6

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

My wife and I have had to a lot of them. The key is to realize the sealants use will flow with force over time; and heat helps too. From a standpoint of cheap tools for this, go to a thrift store (Salvation Army, etc) and buy maybe 15-20 of used steak knives (maybe a couple of bucks total). Those can be used a thin wedges to slowly pry up the edge around the perimeter, but take the whole process slowly (and heat helps). That way, you won't mess up your rim. Also, serrated knife edges help cut the old seal. We mix these with an assortment of wood chisels to be used carefully for wedges. We have taken off a lot of 3M5200, and it can be done if you have patience, the right tools, and lot of time.
Billr
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 20:54   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Put a couple of layers of masking tape around the frame to protect the gel coat. Use either the steak knife, or the blocks and clamps and heat, or the oscillating tool(my first choice), bot also make up some oak wedges with a fine edge. Drive them in equally around the frame as it loosens to keep pressure on breaking the sealant. You will need to try all methods to see what works best.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote