Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56   #1

Removing mildew stains from Sunbrellla?

Hi All,

Any tips? My bimini is badly stained but the cloth itself is still strong. How about soaking it in bleach? It is no longer waterproof anyway, and I plan to take care of that after making it look a little nice.

Thanks,

E.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 13:41   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Removing mildew stains from Sunbrellla?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanStolze View Post
Hi All,

Any tips? My bimini is badly stained but the cloth itself is still strong. How about soaking it in bleach? It is no longer waterproof anyway, and I plan to take care of that after making it look a little nice.

Thanks,

E.
If you check Sunbrella's web-site, you will find that the material can endure bleach without difficulty. Note, however, that the type of stains will dictate the treatment. Bleach will not remove stains caused by iron oxide for example (rust, blood etc.) For that you will need an acid based cleaner such as "Wink", available at many grocery and hardware stores. If you choose to use bleach, it can be mixed up and sprayed on the fabric. Note that bleach can damage the threads used to make the Bimini so one needs not be carries away with its application even tho' the fabric itself might not be harmed. We have found that mixing up a 2 gallon bucket of warm soapy water with a quart of unscented bleach will do a nice job of cleaning/stain removing. Once the fabric is well rinsed and dried, apply some 303 waterproofing to both sides to restore the fabric's ability to shead water and, once that's dried, some Scotchguard to make it somewhat more resistant to dirt/staining.

FWIW...

PS: Note that in the Bay Area, oily soot can be a real problem and the yacht/bimini needs be washed down with a good detergant cleanser quite regularly.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 15:03   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

There's a cleaner LAs totally awesome that works exceptionally well on mildew. Spray it on heavy and straight then sprinkle water on it and scrubb the foamy mixture. Sometimes takes a couple rounds on heavy miildewed areas.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:33   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
There's a cleaner LAs totally awesome that works exceptionally well on mildew. Spray it on heavy and straight then sprinkle water on it and scrubb the foamy mixture. Sometimes takes a couple rounds on heavy miildewed areas.

I just cleaned mine of mildew very easily.

First I sprayed it with vinegar and water -- 3 parts distilled cider vinegar to two parts water.

Then I washed it off with a rag and 409. Looks terrific now.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 13:50   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I just cleaned mine of mildew very easily.

First I sprayed it with vinegar and water -- 3 parts distilled cider vinegar to two parts water.

Then I washed it off with a rag and 409. Looks terrific now.
Formula 409 may work fine. I get the totally awesome at dollar tree for you guessed it $1 a bottle. My canvas is light colored topgun which mildews more than sunbrella . This stuff really works.

If I were you I'd use the cleaner first followed by the vinegar, then let the vinegar dry. It leaves a residue that discourages future mildew growth.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 14:16   #6

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanStolze View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,

E.
We started getting mildew as soon as we got into Central America.

We use a dilutided bleach and water formula in a water bottle. Anywhere from 30% to 50% depending on what we are cleaning. It kills mold every where from the bildges to the bimini without having to scrub.

If you are using it on any cloth, I would suggest using the belach designed for colors. Then spary a small portion to test it and make sure you don't make the fabric fade.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote