Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 20:53   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Simplest thing is to sand down the transom and repaint it then stick on the new name. Less time and less bother.
I agree I could have it done in one day of good weather..just roll and tip it...right from the dink..or stern to dock

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:00   #17

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
An entire day of good weather is hard to come by in these parts in March. So far with boats I find that if I think a task will take a couple hours it takes me two days. If I think it is a two day job it takes at least a week. And so on... I'm not lazy, just inexperienced.
Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:06   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramanaut View Post
An entire day of good weather is hard to come by in these parts in March. So far with boats I find that if I think a task will take a couple hours it takes me two days. If I think it is a two day job it takes at least a week. And so on... I'm not lazy, just inexperienced.

**It is not you, it is because you are working on a boat (where murphy's law was born).
Cheers,
Erika
Old 29-03-2010, 21:21   #19

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Well if its raining the striper wont stay in place either..

Iv just done enough sanding to know it takes a bunch of time ,and patients for this application ...something I admit I lack at times..

Just saying for me it would be a no brainer....good luck and keep us posted.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 22:40   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
I agree with the others, you'll probably have to sand and paint the whole transom. But if you're going to give sanding out the letters a try, know that your primary concern will be blowing through the paint around the lettering. If you run down to Fisheries supply and get a couple of rolls of fineline tape, including some 1/4" for the tight curves, you can tape off carefully around the lettering. Then wetsand using a block until you are almost blowing through the tape everywhere. Then pull tape and finish off, always using a rubber block. Do not finger sand at any point. You will blow through if you do. Make sure your transom is dry and clean when you apply the tape and rub it down very thoroughly or it'll come off while you're wetsanding. Regular masking tape is much too thick. Try to avoid overlapping the tape as you are applying it as this will create high spots that will be a problem. And if you need someone in Ballard to paint that transom for you PM me and I'll hook you up with the guys at the yard. By which I mean one of our pro painters would probably do it on the side for you. Cost a lot less than the yard. The guys love little side jobs...
Hope to see you in the sound this summer!

SVMinaret Longtime Shilshole liveaboard, Canal Boatyard worker
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:36   #21

Boat: Cascade
Online articles

Hi

It doesn’t take a lot to learn to roll and tip the paint. You need to remove anything you can, sand, mask, and paint. Plan your transom into sections and check how you will get into tight areas with a brush and roller. You don't need any fancy two part paints, and litre can of Brightside would do your transom with lots to spare.

The roll and tip method works like this..... roll on the paint vertically with a foam roller onto one section.

Use a good quality brush.

Brush along the paint horizontally in low pressure even strokes. There is the (aircraft landing) method.. I can’t describe better than the brush should have long strokes like a plane landing and lifting off.

Tips

· Apply the paint thin and don’t worry if it isn’t covering completely on the first coat.
· 3 coats should do and your 1 can is enough
· Lighter colours hide mistakes much better.
· You may find that the results are so good that you want to paint the rest later so plan your colours for the entire boat based on the available paint
· Make sure the area is dry around hull to deck joints, seams or any attached equipment (these typically have moisture around them)
· Be careful in your dinghy….

Here are a couple links look for (Youtube) videos.

Finally… I would state that this is absolutely something you can quickly learn to do. I have seen many people use this method with no prior experience. The results have been very good.

Sooo you can do this!

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/TipRollingTipping.htm
http://hubpages.com/hub/Roll-and-Tip-Method-of-Painting
Old 30-03-2010, 09:59   #22

Lots of great advice here. I'll have to print the thread and take it with me when I go to do the job. I will definitely turn the boat stern to the dock. I appreciate everybody's confidence in my abilities. I have actually bottom painted and boot-striped a 33 footer before, so painting in general is not intimidating to me. I agree, I can do it. My concern is that the hull (and transom) were painted with two part Perfection, the letters in Brightside. (Both are out of the can colors, so no worries there.) I wonder though if one-part over two-part for the entire transom is a good idea.
Old 30-03-2010, 10:48   #23

Boat: Cascade
Quote:
My concern is that the hull (and transom) were painted with two part Perfection, the letters in Brightside. (Both are out of the can colors, so no worries there.) I wonder though if one-part over two-part for the entire transom is a good idea.

You may want to stay with the two part. Im not sure about this. A phone call to a paint shop should help.
Old 08-09-2010, 22:58   #24

finally did it

I eventually got around to trying the stripper. Nope. Wouldn't work. Sanded the name off with 320 then whole thing with 400, 800, 1000, 1500. I didn't paint it, or even buff it out. But it looks ok. The name looks pretty good. I think I'd like to have the name painted on next year, so I just went minimal. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newname.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	19081   Click image for larger version

Name:	newname1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	19082  

Old 09-09-2010, 02:05   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Wow! - Good job. That came out great!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32   #26

Thanks Ex. The paint on the transom is not as shiny as the sides, but the lettering is what draws your attention anyway. Now I can plan the renaming ceremony! yay!
Old 11-09-2010, 13:51   #27

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Next haul out, buff it out with paste, it will bring back the shine to your gelcoat.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint, name removal