Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 14:33   #1

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
Removing Painted Name

I will start by admitting that I haven't had much luck searching the forum for this topic, which seems like it should already have a thread going. If there is a thread please redirect me.

My boat has a painted hull with a painted name on the transom. I want to remove the name and put the new name on in vinyl lettering. I am concerned about using oven cleaner (as I have seen suggested on other forums) because it might take the hull paint off along with the name. Everything I have read about removing a painted name assumes it is painted over gelcoat, not hull paint. Any tips on how to remove the painted name without removing the hull paint? My plan is to wet sand gently, but I wanted to get some input before trying that. Thanks.
Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 14:53   #2

I used Aqua Strip to remove the painted name on our boat
Star Distributing Back to Nature Paint Strippers.

It won't harm gelcoat, but it will mosty likely go after the paint on the hull as well.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 15:07   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Wet sand with a very fine grit. I would start off with 320, or 440. Thats what I use when Im doing intermediate sanding on my spar between coats of varnish. Very gently, lots of water. Just light finger pressure and you should be ok. Once it gets translucent, switch down to 600 or 800. Finally work you way down thru 1200, 1500, and 1800 to 2000 grit, and then finish with a buffing polish. YOu can get the various grits at an autobody supplier. Just take your time with it.

I used to put political comments on the tailgate of my pickup during election times, and always cleaned it off that way. Still have the original paint and clear coat after 10 years, never had to touch the clearcoat yet.

Sabre.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 15:15   #4

Thanks, Sabre! Will give it a go. I have Interlux Perfection (two part) on the hull and Interlux Brightsides (one part) for the name. I have a question in to Interlux tech support too. Worst case scenario--- I have repaint the transom. I'll try to document the process and post pictures.
Old 17-03-2010, 16:44   #5

Boat: Cascade
Is it only to be removed on the transom?

Could you try to remove only the lettering and if it doesnt work you could lightly sand the entire transom and repaint.

There are many boats with different colour transoms than hulls. It could look quite nice.
Old 17-03-2010, 17:39   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
Some of the non aggressive paint strippers will remove the Brightside but not the Perfection. Home Depot sells a Citrus based stripper that I use very often. The product likes a nice warm temperature to be effective. You can get a small artists brush and apply a to a small part of one of the letters as a test patch, use a plastic scraper and if the paint bubbles remove the heavy stuff with the scraper. Any sanding of Perfection will damage the paint film and shorten the paint life in that area. You may have to do two applications to remove all the paint and a final wipe with acetone to clean. Secret is to gewt the stripper off as soon as it loosens the Brightside.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 18:25   #7

Solitude, yes it is only the transom. And I agree it could look nice with a different color, but (call me lazy) I'd like to do it without taking the boat out of the water. She just went back in the water a couple months ago when I bought her.
CBurger-- good idea. I might give that a try before sanding, just to test. Here is what she looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232323232fp53696>nu=3334>762>;7->WSNRCG=34343-656-336nu0mrj.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	13941  
Old 25-03-2010, 04:17   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Sky,
Have ya tried the local Boat letter guy? They know all the tricks of the trade. I just removed my painted name with acetone, 3m pad and followed up with a good compounding. But my hull is gelcoat. Love the Cal 2-29 sailed one out into the Gulf a few years back, very fine vessel.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 25-03-2010, 06:26   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
that's what i ended up doing .. using very fine sandpaper.
Old 25-03-2010, 07:36   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
3M makes a nice product called Finesse It. It's a chemical and extra fine polishing compound. It really will depend on what type of paint they used for the letters. I had a transom done in two part red over Awlgrip. Red is the worst color as the pigment bleeds into what is underneath it. It got into the awlgrip too. Blue is hopeful as the pigments don't bleed as much.

Try the stripper and see how it works. The 3M product will restore the shine if stripper does the job. If you get ghosting after stripping then bite the bullet and wet sand the transom and repaint just the transom completely. You won't see the sides next to it so any sun fade on the sides will be hard to tell. The lettering covers enough area that you would be repainting the whole transom if you can't strip it off anyway.

Start with the most gentle suggestions above by others and see where you get to with some small tests. Sometimes you get lucky - just not all the time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 09:24   #11

Thanks, all. Can't wait to try the stripper! (hee hee) I purchased some of the citrus stuff. Now waiting for dry weather and an opportunity to spend a few days to work on it.
Old 25-03-2010, 09:42   #12

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramanaut View Post
I will start by admitting that I haven't had much luck searching the forum for this topic, which seems like it should already have a thread going. If there is a thread please redirect me.

My boat has a painted hull with a painted name on the transom. I want to remove the name and put the new name on in vinyl lettering. I am concerned about using oven cleaner (as I have seen suggested on other forums) because it might take the hull paint off along with the name. Everything I have read about removing a painted name assumes it is painted over gelcoat, not hull paint. Any tips on how to remove the painted name without removing the hull paint? My plan is to wet sand gently, but I wanted to get some input before trying that. Thanks.
Simplest thing is to sand down the transom and repaint it then stick on the new name. Less time and less bother.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 11:08   #13

Boat: Cascade
I had good luck in putting vinyl lettering on myself. I ordered the letters that came in a sheet with instructions.

You may find the paint under the painted letters is a slightly different colour and the new vinly letters dont match at all. If its a new name then it won't. Could you sand down the entire transom, mask and repaint from your tender?
Old 29-03-2010, 20:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Simplest thing is to sand down the transom and repaint it then stick on the new name. Less time and less bother.
Yup, just sand it all down and repaint it.
Penfield Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 20:21   #15

I was afraid that was going to be the consensus. The hull paint is a couple of years old and according to Interlux (the maker of both the hull paint and the letter paint) it will have faded and won't match anymore. Might not matter much. Or I could go with another color entirely. But I am still going to do a test with the stripper first just in case it works. I already bought it, and if I mess it up, well, the whole thing will end up re-sanded anyhooo.

Tags
hull paint, name removal