Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 19:44   #16

Re: Renewing Non-Skid (Old Sand Type)

As stated above sand is not a good choice for non-skid; it's pretty hard to sand off or make repairs to. Old stuff probably needs heat gun to remove?
We used crushed walnut shells for adding to paint as non-skid. Using an old flour sifter to lay it on a wet coat, then covering it w/ another (several) coat (s). It works perfectly. And sand-able!
Used to be able to buy a 100# sack of crushed walnut shells for a reasonable price (smallest available, but only like $25.00), but probably a bit more than that today.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 19:50   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The old Navy way was to clean up the peeled up paint off your steel deck with a scraper. What doesn't come up with the scraper stays where it is. Prime only if all the paint is gone. Put on your first coat of paint (only where there is no non-skid), put down the sand with either the salt shaker or the flour sifter before the paint dries. Let the paint dry then put on the second coat of paint.
I don't use a flour sifter or a salt shaker. I do it by hand.
The more coats of paint you put on the less effective the non-skid. Sooner or later it will loose its non-skid qualities because you painted it too much and its time to remove it. Use a sharp scraper and peel it off or use the toughest grit concrete wheel on your grinder and grind it off.
I've found this method to last 5 years before needing anything and you don't want to sit on it with a bare anything because you will get road rash. It is a very effective non-skid and doesn't cost much.
kind regards,
Old 03-09-2012, 19:56   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I assume that by interlux additive you are referring to griptex? If so you are on the right track. Sand inevitably fails because it is only encapsulated in paint. Griptex is very porous on a microscopic level and actually absorbs the paint, making it last much longer. .
Interesting
I have had and worked on vessels with the sand and 2 pack paint that has lasted a decade or more and as yet hasnt been replaced.

Various beads , including Awlgrip product, used as an additive only tend to last a few seasons, which, is why many went to long lasting sand.
Old 04-09-2012, 00:05   #19

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

For 25 years we have had sanded steel decks, with the sand encapsulated in two pack polyurethane paint and it is as good as new. The only problem is that the paint is starting to fade a little and preparation for a recoat may be difficult.
We used silica sand, and baked it to make sure it was totally dry.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51   #20

My boat has sand encapsulated in epoxy paint, but I'm thinking of changing it because the dog has such trouble with grip.
It's okay for me in shoes, but my best friend's paws can't really manage it.
I'm going to go for that granulated rubber stuff i see in children's playgrounds. I only hope it's not water-absorbing. Or if it flexes any, i hope it won't crack the paint covering it.
Anyone tried this?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 03:32   #21

Boat: Under Construction

I prime and paint decks completely mask and sand non skid area spray on top coat to the area different color if required then use fine sand in a spot blasting gun and evenly coat the area while wet then wait till nearly dry and spray over with light coat of paint small tip.Epoxy paint can be re coated before dry as per recommendations.
Zindab is offline   Reply With Quote