Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 08:29   #1

Renewing teak cockpit table

I have a small teak fold up cockpit table that I am thinking of varnishing ( or at least oiling with teak oil). The wood is still quite smooth without a lot of grain wear. Do I need to sand it first or can I just use a teak cleaner and go from there. Also if I decide to varnish can/should I use teak oil before varnishing? Thanks for any help and recommendations!
Roger
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:57   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Renewing teak cockpit table

Use 220 grit paper to ensure the surface is smooth and free from surface contaminants. Do not use oil prior to varnish. Wipe down with whatever thinner is specified by the varnish manufacturer. Then thin and coat per the manufacturers recommendations to attain the best result.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:07   #3

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Welcome to the forum.

This topic shows my teak table refinishing w/ four coats of spar urethane. The end of the topic shows an identical table done w/ Semco teak sealer. That also came out well.

It has been holding up well.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:53   #4

For tables that get moved around and used hard, I like using oil/varnish blend. My favorite off the shelf is Daly's Seafin Teak Oil. It has enough varnish that with enough coats it will build a surface, but you can get by with just three or four coats. Like any oil product, it's easy to apply and touches up easy over time. It's virtually impossible to get the types of runs and sags that you have to struggle to avoid with varnish (although I have used plenty of varnish on tables over the years, too).

If you go with that, I would clean the surface well then apply and wet sand in the first one or two coats with the recommended grit (I think they recommend 240?). I have also overcoated oiled wood with varnish - you just have to ensure it is a varnish made with compatible oils (such as Le Tonkinois over tung oil).
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:27   #5

Thanks for the responses and the help!
Roger
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, teak