Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 05:45   #1

Boat: Fales Navigator 32.9'
Repainting the hull

To anyone who has repainted hull:

We have been given epiphane 2 part epoxy primer.

Is this suitable to used before applying epiphane 2 part polyurethane yacht coating (paint)

Thanks!!
Little Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 06:03   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Repainting the hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Whale View Post
To anyone who has repainted hull:

We have been given epiphane 2 part epoxy primer.

Is this suitable to used before applying epiphane 2 part polyurethane yacht coating (paint)

Thanks!!
Pretty sure it is but you should get and follow the instructions from Epifanes. Give much attention to the epoxy primer as it’s the most important part of the protection from the paint system. The top coat is just for esthetics and to keep UV away from the primer.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 06:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

That's an interesting question.

When I built my steel boat, the original hull paint was epoxy based....it was a two-part....but it was epoxy. The color was a royal blue.

When I decided to re-paint it with 2 part polyurethane (white), I asked the paint rep. the same question....surprisingly, he told what I had on the boat would be an excellent primer, though recommended I give the original paint a good sanding...epoxy paint has a tendency to " chalk"....so this needs to be addressed.

I used the " roll and tip" method to apply the new 2 part polyurethane and it came out beautifully. I did two coats. Never had the slightest problem with it afterwards.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 06:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I forgot to add, after I sanded the original epoxy paint, I was advised to clean it with MEK, prior to applying the new paint......I had never used this product before....Methyl Ethyl Ketone....it is quite volatile.... a proper mask is definitely recommended..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:07   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
When I decided to re-paint it with 2 part polyurethane (white), I asked the paint rep. the same question....surprisingly, he told what I had on the boat would be an excellent primer, though recommended I give the original paint a good sanding...epoxy paint has a tendency to " chalk"....so this needs to be addressed....
This is absolutely correct and as stated above, the epoxy primer is the critical "protector" and cannot be exposed to UV for long as it will "chalk" over time. Needs to be sanded and thouroughly cleaned prior to applying the topcoat.
When applying it days apart, you need to follow the instructions to the letter, which it will indicate whether or not to sand in between coats.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 17:29   #6

Boat: Fales Navigator 32.9'

Thanks for that response. Two coats of epoxy primer done and sanded. Wipe down with denatured alcohol and then paint.
Little Whale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, paint