Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 05:08   #31

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Repair Diesel Generator or Get New Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
dwedeking2

the 4200 is 2 cylinder kubota block. Do you know the rpm ? I google the manual but don't seem to be able to find the rpm.

I would avoid anything > 3,000 rpms. The slow ones at 1,800 rps is good and will last a long time .

Eric

It’s a panda, at 60hz it’s a 3600 rpm generator.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 05:25   #32

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Can't believe what nobody else (I think) mentioned: Sorry if I missed some facts so I'm not sure if the Honda being considered is a portable, but if you get a portable generator it is going to sit on deck, you will be tripping over it and tripping over the AC connection, it will get every sort of bad weather, etc, the list goes on.
To say nothing of annoying your neighbors in the anchorage. Diesel generator with good water lift cooling is pretty near noiseless.

You probably missed a fairly recent thread where the points you raised were thrashed to death.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 07:22   #33

Last week I had a non operating Kohler 5 E marine gas generator
removed , Stopped operating last season ,
Never used , 200 lbs of dead weight , Low hours 225
When it did run , stalled under load . Previous boats owner maintained
nothing , forgetabout getting too a gen set tucked in a corner ,
This is a cruiser , 2 engines , Port engine blocked generator
Preforming any work , IMPOSSIBLE
Last week shop had too lift Port engine . While up in air pulled the non
working Kohler ,
During this year I have spoken too a number of generator shops &
service people . Your head could spin .
On the average Pricing was 5000.00 on rebuilt plus install , up too
12 thousand new
Some would say old parts , hard too come by
Kohler does not make the gas generator anymore ,
Any new gen set requires fabrication , new control boards .
With most repair people in boating they just want too sell sell sell
un reliable- full of it , When I hear their babble I zone out ,
Hell with it , If I ever needed a generator a portable
Honda sitting on swim platform would be cheaper , less weight in boat
So you fill the top with gas , have too watch the carbon , make sure
exhaust blowing away
I did find a guy on UTUBE that his specialty is these Kohler old gas
generators , He is in Tampa , Easy too find on utube , Maybe he can
fix yours ,
While out I discovered what happened , starter froze open burning
Flywheel frozen .
Loosened fly wheel with transmission fluid
Why it froze is next , possibly head gasket leaking water
Starter replacement , fire up
Will take too the guy in Tampa too go thru everything ,
If I decided too install so boat is intact everything should be good
PAYS 2 fix old, OLD IS GOOD .
I would buy portable so you have something
Find a good quality person too fix diesel at your leisure then install
There is a site called SMOKSTAK , lots of old gas & diesel guys
that know all about engines . Check it out , U could get a good contact

OVER & OUT
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:52   #34

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The downside of small gas generators is having to keep more gas on board. It 'goes off' quite quickly in hot climates and is a fire hazared. Deisel avoids both these issues and draws on fuel in the main tank so is always available for as long as you want. Second point is that generally portable gas units run standing on deck. At anchor you need to be careful that exhaust fumes don't leek below deck and generally cant run them underway unless it is flat calm so don't act as a backup in bad weather. This could be an issue if the alternator packs up and you need more power for the autopilot.
So comes down to what you want it to do. Gas gen's are cheap, reliable and good for occasional use at anchor. Diesel is way better for regular use.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:29   #35

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

Forget the Panda
Buy a northern Lights
I have a 9KW with 14,000+ hours.
If you change the impellers and oil regularly it runs perfectly.
Only thing I replaced so far has been the raw water pump
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 22:34   #36

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

How much power do you need on an Out Island 41? I get enough power from solar panels. And a big alternator when we use the engine. I have a cold plate freezer but no AC. Solar is relatively inexpensive.
It's your boat and your choice. Think of your lifestyle and go for it.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:02   #37

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
How much power do you need on an Out Island 41? I get enough power from solar panels. And a big alternator when we use the engine. I have a cold plate freezer but no AC. Solar is relatively inexpensive.
It's your boat and your choice. Think of your lifestyle and go for it.
I agree with you to a certain extent. My desire to have a water maker and the ability to do bigger projects with power tools makes a generator a nice thing to have.

It doesnt make $$ sense to install a new diesel generator for what I need.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:14   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Repair Diesel Generator or Get New Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent. My desire to have a water maker and the ability to do bigger projects with power tools makes a generator a nice thing to have.

It doesnt make $$ sense to install a new diesel generator for what I need.

You could do that with a Spectra and an inverter.

I went the generator route myself, I think it’s simpler in the end and actually less expensive.
But it depends on your needs and desires, of course it’s entirely possible to do completely without one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:37   #39

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We have been dealing with Panda for 18+ years and have always found the staff responsive and helpful when we've had difficulties. With respect to the smaller generators, lack of use rather than over use seems to be the primary cause of difficulties assuming the units receive good maintenance. According to FP and several of the shops that service/repair FP generators, anything under 100 hours per year is too little use. It seems one needs run the units at least 2 hour per week, which isn't hard assuming one's aboard and doing routine maintenance on the "mother ship" regularly, to keep them operating well.

That said, note that older units powered by Farymann engines could be problematic as to parts as Farymann has gone out of business and there is not assurance when/if the Company may be resuscitated under a new owner. FP is doing its best to obtain and supply necessary replacement parts, up to and including have some manufactured itself, but there's no telling how long they can continue that effort.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:35   #40

I’d try a Honda for a while. The comments above make no sense - I’ve had 3-4 Honda 2kva’s over many years and NEVER had one fail me. Easy to operate and simply do the job.
And ps, I don’t work for Honda....lol
bushytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:39   #41

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have an installed Onan that is pretty well noise insulated with quiet exhaust etc. I use it rarely for air conditioning at anchor and for battery charging and water maker if I’m at anchor a few days. I i know I can enjoy my cockpit when it’s running and I have often seen boats with Honda generators start them up and leave in the dinghy for hours. I’m guessing to avoid the noise. If there are other occupied boats near you I suspect the neighbors would be happier if you run a small diesel well installed instead of the Honda. Although the diesel is not the least expensive method I have found it well worth it on my boat.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:47   #42

Thumbs up Re: Repair Diesel Generator or Get New Honda

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;2986276]I’ve pretty much given up on my small diesel generator in favor of my Honda (been 3 months and I haven’t tried to fix my diesel generator ). But if I believed it really could be fixed by a new $400 control panel I would do it[/Q
I'll share this with you before you go putting into your diesel generator.How old is your current unit???? Have you looked into the 3500 inverter Predator Generator ....read the reviews ..I think you may reconsider before you go over board ..I can tell you this the Predator V/S Honda first the price then the gamble of repairing the diesel???? you'll be very HAPPY you purchased the PREDATOR..
rangerrick47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 13:02   #43

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I’m in a more or less similar situation. My 28 years old Contest 43 has her original NL (Kubota 3Cyl engine) 6.5KW genset that the former owner say it has been overhauled few years ago and never been really used since. Now it wouldn’t start and the diesels mechanic in Saint Lucia can’t really find the issue. I do not plan to stay on mornings and in general get out of the Caribbean and keep the boat mostly in New England with maybe wintering in the south every few years.

Would you still recommend a repair when I get to a NL expert service in the US? I love diesels but not sure I would like to spend more than say $1,000 (a cost of a Honda/Yamaha 2000W for a backup just in case...) on a 28 years old generator that might have other issues down the road.

thanks.
Old 04-10-2019, 13:34   #44

Boat: Corbin 39, hull #145

I have had a 2000 watt Honda generator for 10 years.
Extremely reliable, but I do not use it on my boat.

The concern is gasoline fumes, they are heavier than air and will build up in the lowest parts of the hull.

Boats with diesels engines do not need mechanical blowers to ventilate the bilge prior to starting as diesel fuel odors are not ignitable at atmospheric pressure.

Gasoline fumes are a real hazard. I have been around numerous fuel docks over the years when fumes in the bilge went off as the engine was restarted.
Never a good outcome if you aren't able to immediately jump overboard.

Even if you use a gasoline powered generator on deck, below deck storage of it or any gasoline filled device should be kept in a space that allows fumes to ventilate downwards and to the outside of the hull, just like a propane locker.
Luff Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 13:47   #45

Many Fischer Pandas have problems. I doubt I would spend too much on a fix. Not sure a gas Honda is a great alternative for a boat, but yes if occasional use, limited need I suppose. etc.
One wonders what the "Controller" on the FP is...? Is this something you could just eliminate and make control dirt simple? IIRC many of the FP issues were not the basic engine/gen assembly...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, honda