Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 14:25   #16

Boat: sabre 28
Re: Repairing Teak & Holly vneer cabin sole

I'd also recommend Boulter Lumber out of Somerville. They're just right up the road from you.
Old 01-01-2020, 15:36   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
Pete7 when you say vinyl, are you referring to vinyl laminate flooring or something like I just described?
I had a good look around the UK Southampton boatshow in September, but the prices they were quoting were outrageous, £120 - 150 sqm This was for fake teak and Holly pattern or the same in light grey with white lines. Wasn't something you would want walk on with bare feet through, quite rough. Probably good for cockpit or deck use but they were selling it for use inside.

In a previous house we put down a thin commercial vinyl on a concrete floor that you would use in say a hospital. It went in the kitchen so the foot traffic from the kids and dogs constantly walking in and out to the garden was high but it really stood up well and just cleaned with a mop. We moved after 5 years and it still looked like new.

So whilst Teak and Holly (T&H) looks traditional though I don't know why? and since we don't plan on changing the boat, its probably going to be the same sort of vinyl thing again. There is a foam backed type too with T&H pattern or lots of other designs which is slightly cushioned and warm to walk on. I have also used in a house until the puppy managed to chew a hole in it, but that aside is was very pleasant to walk on at a fraction of the cost of T&H. Looking at our floor it will be tricky lining up the holly lines and leave some wastage, whilst vinyl just gets glued down. I could probably take the yacht floor up and deliver to the floor guy if we can remember who it was.

T&H plus lots of varnish is great, but just not hard wearing enough with dogs, people, wet shoes etc.

This is the cushioned type we used:

https://www.carpetright.co.uk/vinyl/page/3
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:35   #18
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I had the same problem with delamination And no easy way to replace it without spending an arm and a leg. I bought a sheet of 3/4 inch birch plywood, masked it to have 1/4 inch “holly” stripes and sealed these with polyurethane. Then taped these 1/4 inch stripes and stained the rest to match the teal. Sealed the whole thing with epoxy and cut the sole sections I needed. Still looks great about 5 yrs later.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin sole, grass, teak