Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2022, 21:19   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Replace Kenyon in-boom outhaul or go external?

Hi all,

I have a new (to me) ‘84 Islander Bahama 30. It has an in-mast outhaul and two-in mast reefs. I replaced the reefing lines (which were quite old and too big) with 5/16 Samson Control Line and they’re awesome. The outhaul is still the older line. Frankly I’m not sure how old it is. I replaced the sheaves for the reefing lines at the mast, and it appears that someone, at some point, replaced the sheaves at the aft end of the boom too.

My question concerns replacing the outhaul. There are no really good instructions on how to do this. I know there is a block and tackle inside the boom anchored near the mast. The lines exiting at the boom and at the aft sheave are different, so that jives with the original design (block/tackle). I’ve read in a few places that removing the boom from the fitting that connects to the goooseneck can be arduous. I’m wondering it it would be easier to set up an external outhaul instead? I have a boom kicker so I was thinking about trying a dyneema loop where the topping lift used to go and sticking a block on there. The port side of the boom has a pad eye, and the starboard side has a cheek block, so someone obviously thought about this before me. Not sure if that hardware was from the factory or not. But then if I did that I’d need to figure out what to do with the in-boom outhaul line; I’d have to leave it in there, which could cause other problems, perhaps.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’d really like to get the boom lines completely replaced.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 18:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Replace Kenyon in-boom outhaul or go external?

There are no instructions because it is site-dependent: it depends a bit on how the rigger set things up inside the boom in the first place. Most often you have to remove one or the other, if not both, of the boom end fittings. This allows you to get to where the outhaul is attached so you can attach the new one. It looks more arduous than it is. You have to remove the fasteners that hold the end fittings in place. They might be sheet metal screws, machine bolts, or rivets. The fittings usually come out fairly easily once that is done, so long as the lines aren't holding them in. You may be able to leave the gooseneck fitting attached to the mast if the boom will slide off it when the fastenings are removed. You can then attach a new outhaul line and use the old one to snake it back through the various sheaves it goes through. Sew the new end to the old end -- tape might get stripped off going through a block somewhere. It might take some time, but shouldn't be overly difficult to do all this. When the line is re-led, slide the fittings back into the boom and refasten them. Voilà! Or you can pay a rigger....
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 19:50   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

I did it on mine, with some finesse, but without any too difficult parts.

If your Kenyon boom is like mine, there is a bolt that goes through it at the mast end that holds the internal block. What you do is attach a long small line, about 3x the length of the boom, to a fid. Remove the nut from the bolt, and use the fid to carefully push the bolt through and out the boom, so that the line captures the block. Tie a knot in each end of the line so it can't get lost in the boom. Then pull the block out of the end of the boom. Change the lines and do whatever work you need to it. Then pull it back into place with the line though the bolt hole. Pull the line out until the fid is in place where the bolt needs to go, then push the fid out with the bolt, and replace the nut.
Old 15-11-2022, 19:52   #4

Hmm, got it, thanks.
The end fittings are held on with screws. They don’t look too hard… assuming they aren’t seized up. If they are I’d just need to drill them out I guess. I have PTSD from deconstructing my Edson pedestal and dealing with four huge seized bolts…. I now have a tiller. Actually if it’s easy to get the boom off I may just go and repaint the thing. It has some corrosion in a few spots I wouldn’t mind sanding off and making look nice.
Old 15-11-2022, 19:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I did it on mine, with some finesse, but without any too difficult parts.

If your Kenyon boom is like mine, there is a bolt that goes through it at the mast end that holds the internal block. What you do is attach a long small line, about 3x the length of the boom, to a fid. Remove the nut from the bolt, and use the fid to carefully push the bolt through and out the boom, so that the line captures the block. Tie a knot in each end of the line so it can't get lost in the boom. Then pull the block out of the end of the boom. Change the lines and do whatever work you need to it. Then pull it back into place with the line though the bolt hole. Pull the line out until the fid is in place where the bolt needs to go, then push the fid out with the bolt, and replace the nut.
That’s ingenious. Mine is the same I believe. I tried knocking free the bolt that holds the metal sheave for the outhaul at the gooseneck last weekend and it wouldn’t budge for anything. Was it easy getting the bolt your talking about to come free?
Old 15-11-2022, 20:35   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
That’s ingenious. Mine is the same I believe. I tried knocking free the bolt that holds the metal sheave for the outhaul at the gooseneck last weekend and it wouldn’t budge for anything. Was it easy getting the bolt your talking about to come free?
Yes. It was no problem. I came up with that method because nothing at the gooseneck will budge unless I plan on breaking something doing it.

Tags
outhaul