Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2023, 21:42   #61

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49
Re: Replace Rudder w/ Wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'm in there with those who appreciate a good vang. In my case my vang attaches at the base of the mast and then to a sturdy fixed boom bale about a quarter of the way aft of the gooseneck. The block and tackle of it is 4 to 1 like the mainsheet. One thing to consider is that, when the boom is out for running, the vang transfers all the load directly to the gooseneck which, along with its connection to the mast, may or may not be up to that kind of compression force coming from that angle. Something to check as you set it up.

So funny you say that. Of course most boats today do have vangs and the alternatives are either complex or less effective. Nonetheless, you raise an excellent point. Vangs can cause stresses snd failures. Both Dockhead were on a boat which broke the boom mid-atlantic. The boom failed around the rivets attaching the hydraulic vang.

Not fun.

Everything that should move or that should not move on a boat is a point of failure, many critical.
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 22:29   #62

Boat: Bristol 27

My old boat sails fine downwind without a vang or traveler.

Perfect sail shape isn’t needed if you aren’t racing.

Like the other aspects of sailing while cruising, ball park works fine which is why you can get away with using an autopilot which is terrible for sailing efficiency.

Only a cruising sailor would think he is sailing efficiently because he is using a vang..
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 00:08   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

If you don’t have a vang or a traveler and are still concerned about sail shape on a long downwind wind run, you can always tie a line around the boom and shape your main a bit more.

My boat has a loose footed main so I can tie a line most anywhere along the length of the boom then to a winch, cleat or whatever is a convenient tie
point below it.

No need to waste money buying a vang especially on a smaller sailboat
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder, wheel