Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: which system do you recomend?
Holdover plates 0 0%
Evaporator based 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2023, 11:15   #1

Boat: Oyster 53
Replacing 24-year-old Grunert refrigiration

We have a 24-year-old Grunert DC475BD24 sea-water-cool system with R409A refrigerant that runs well. The system is very noisy and draws from 20 - 25 amps at 24V but it does work well.

- Freezer 230 liters/8.1 cubic feet with 2 Grunert holdover plates
- Fridge 270 liters/9.5 cubic feet with one Grunert holdover plate
- Belt-driven Compressor with Leeson 24V motor, it seems like it is a Blissfield compressor but I do not know the model(see the photo) Please let me know if you recognize the model.
The system works well, it runs automatically about every 5 hours for about 50 minutes and keeps the freezer at -9C to -14C.
We live aboard, currently near Grenada. We might venture to the remote Pacific next year where parts/support are tough to find. We are thinking of replacing the entire system as Grunert parts are hard to find, Blissfield Compressors are not in business so getting a new compressor or TXV valves or other parts is tough. I see the following options:
1. Find a good fridge tech in Trinidad with a vacuum out, cleaning, and brazing experience. Leave the Grunert plates in place and replace the belt-drive Grunert compressor with two smaller modern compressors one for fridge and one for freer. Replace TXV valves.

Question: What 24V compressors should I consider for an 8.1 cubic feet fridge that will work with two existing Grunert holdover plates?

2. Rip everything out including the holdover plates and replace everything with something like SeaFrost, CoolBlue, or Dometic.
Question: Which one would be better for us? Any other systems and why would recommend them?

3. Leave the existing system in place and prepare for possible failures.
Question: Do you know what most likely failures would I experience with my Grunert 24 years old system? Where can I buy spare parts, compressors, TXV valves, and anything else?

Any other recommendations or options you might suggest will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 14:19   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Replacing 24-year-old Grunert refrigiration

The nice thing about those old units is that they are quite serviceable.
Very few of the parts are proprietary, rather just off-the-shelf stuff, even the Blissfield is replaceable.
https://www.rparts.com/
Those are pretty big boxes you have, the little Danfoss 12V units are about 1/6 HP, and they will run almost continually to try and keep up with the demand.
Refrigeration is pretty much a "Pick your poison" when it comes to boats.
Pros and cons to all systems.
Good insulation and good seals on lids/doors can make-up for many sins.
Old 23-07-2023, 12:26   #3

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: Replacing 24-year-old Grunert refrigiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
The nice thing about those old units is that they are quite serviceable.
Very few of the parts are proprietary, rather just off-the-shelf stuff, even the Blissfield is replaceable.
https://www.rparts.com/
Those are pretty big boxes you have, the little Danfoss 12V units are about 1/6 HP, and they will run almost continually to try and keep up with the demand.
Refrigeration is pretty much a "Pick your poison" when it comes to boats.
Pros and cons to all systems.
Thank you for the link, I will contact rparts.com and see what they have.
beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 13:53   #4

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Replacing 24-year-old Grunert refrigiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Good insulation and seals is huge. I did have a thread on CF that includes insulation and box construction calculations. I am solar independent. Insulation is cheap and the time is well spent.
A fridge with poor insulation and construction is like having a car with leaky tires
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote