Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 08:45   #1

Boat: Fiskars Finnsailer 38
Replacing broken portlight lens

Hi everyone,

I have a center-cockpit Fiskars Finnsailer 38 from 1978 and I recently had my starboard aft cabin opening portlight lens shatter (no idea how, since it is almost totally covered by a rectangular stainless bucket that is used as the aft windlass chain locker). The lens judging from its shattering was tempered glass 5mm thick. See picture below after removing the bucket and the shattered glass:

After removing two small allen grub screws on the ends of the lens frame I thought I would be able to either slide the lens frame left or right or remove the window frame by opening it totally upwards versus the inside frame since bothe the window frame and the outer frame parts of the hinge are sliced at the end as seen in the picture below:

However, as all of us know by now nothing is that easy when it comes to boats. As you see, the portlight is mounted in a recess molded in the hull which means that the lens frame can neither be extracted left or right and it doesn't open completely to align the gaps in the hinge .

Furthermore, even though the flange was easy to remove, I am at a loss as to how the original glass was inserted into the frame and then the frame sealed, since there are two connection lines on the middle of the top and bottom of the frame but there are no screws, rivets or welds that connect the two parts. See image below:

Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the lens frame without removing the entire portlight and then insert a plexiglass replacement lens since there is no way to separate the two pieces of the frame other than cutting them which also means drilling out the rivets of the hinge on the outside frame ?

A new portlight is out of the question since the original manufacturer no longer exists (I checked) and the dimensions of the portlight are completely custom in comparison to modern off the shelf dimensions and ordering a custom-made one is going to cost an arm and a leg (think > €500).
atsakir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:38   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Replacing broken portlight lens

I'm thinking the frame splits apart at that top seam and you fit it like a wheel rim around the new lens. Or, cut the frame apart at that seam and fit a new lens.
You can get safety glass custom cut at most glass shops. It's tempered glass that is $$$
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote