Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 14:35   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Replacing chainplates

After removing all 18 chainplate, I have decided to repalce all of them.

I found 5 that are broken and the majority have elongated holes. I then inserted the new bolts into the holes in the knees and found that these holes have been elonged as well.

My question is this: how much of a problem will the elongated holes in the knees cause (if any) and how do I deal with the problem?

One solution would be to go with 1/16" larger bolts to get a snug fit in the hole.

Your thoughts will be appreciated!!

Thanks
Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 22:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Good idea replacing them all. I can't believe they could get so bad and I would trust anything that looked OK.
Sorry I don't know what Knees are. I presume this is where the plate bolts to the Hull??? Yes I would go a larger bolt. But don't just make it snug. Drill the hole to ensure you get all the elongation out. This is important to enable a good surface contact with the bolt. The bolt needs to be of snug fit to stop any chance of movement. Movement causes wear and elongation once again. Once you have settled on a drill size to ensure a good clean hole, then use a bolt that suits the hole diameter. You may want to ensure you can get a bolt for the size you drill prior to drilling of course.
I also would be looking at a slightly heavier chain plate material. Preferably wider, which would better suit the new larger diameter holes. But those old ones should not just crack like that.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:06   #3

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Thanks

Alan

Thanks for the response. Good advise on making the plates wider. I had considered reglassing the holes and drilling new ones, but I think I can get a good tight fit by going with a larger bolt.

"Sorry I don't know what Knees are. I presume this is where the plate bolts to the Hull???"

Correct - I'm probably using the wrong term.

Thanks
Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:49   #4

rleslie

I agree with Allen, I am also replacing my chainplates (14) and I am doing pretty much the same thing. Don't have the problem of elongated holes in my knees but I am going with slightly larger bolts and drilling clean holes for all of them. By the way, "knees" is the correct term.

Scott
S/V Invitation
Choey Lee 41
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote