Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 11:13   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
In Mazatlan right now but not looking at needing to do the chainplates quite yet. May head up to SD next summer and look into doing it then....good info!
hope to see you in mazatlan--look up patricia belle if you havent already met them--pat and jeannie are my friends and maz is my first stop. doyou need anything from sd??? we can possibly bring something if ye needs.... just not a baby elephant..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 11:16   #17

Boat: CT54
haha definitely do not need a baby elephant. We see the patricia belle going by all the time....really cool boat! Trying to get out of Mazatlan in the next two weeks to head further south but thanks for the offer. Hope to see you out here soon!
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:24   #18

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Onlinemetals.com might be able to save you a lot of grinding. They have all kinds of metal in all kinds of sizes. Prices are dirt cheap.

It is hilarious to look at the prices on plain 316 flat chainplates. The prices of the metal stock are usually around one tenth.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:44   #19

tager--excellent suggestion--good to think about-- but would end a huge challenge for us leaky teaky souls..LOL....
when i was advised it would cost over 2000 u s dollars to replace one(1) chainplate---i said--BET ME!!!! and ran fast away from that source....
.jackie-- we are easy to see--you are a bigger version of me-- like my boat on radical steroids... easy to spot!!..LOL....
Old 16-11-2010, 12:49   #20

Don't let me stop you from getting your grind on, zeehag, just keep it cool while you work. Metallurgy is complicated!
Old 16-11-2010, 12:56   #21

Boat: PETERSON 44
When I did my Peterson I spent about $210 on stainless used 1 $10 drill bit. $60 bucks in buffing supplies, I think $80 in bolts, $15 for metal cutting bandsaw blades. The old chain plates were used as backer plates and 3 anchor snubber hooks. Had the tools so no cost there. Drilling I used a regular down town drill bit and poured water over the metal while drilling (thanks CF for that advice). Resharpened ever so often on a bench grinder.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 13:04   #22

I am going to replace my chainplates soon, and am seriously considering some regular old steel, just because it would be so cheap, no crevice corrosion worries, and not super difficult to keep from rusting. Resale value may suffer, though, people don't know what they need, but they sure know they need it.

I experienced this when selling my last boat, complete with galvanized standing rigging.
Old 16-11-2010, 13:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Don't let me stop you from getting your grind on, zeehag, just keep it cool while you work. Metallurgy is complicated!
i will let them hole the plates for me--might just have enough extra for that ..LOL..is a frivolity, but i think is a necessary one!
i SOOO wanna be gone by christmas...i will post pix as i get there on this project.
Old 16-11-2010, 20:16   #24

Boat: Pearson 281
Had 6 fabricated and holed 2 years ago by Pipeworks in Long Beach. They were not your basic straps but a deep narrow V, crooked slightly where they went over the narrow cap rail and angled along the top (hey, I was being creative and it was a LeComte Medalist that was not going to look right with plain old straps). He did them from cardboard cutouts that I slid through his mailbox. A couple of phone calls later and they were done ... they even fit just right! Got him to do the backing plates with matching holes and installed them myself drilling right through the existing plates in the hull. Went through 4 carbide bits, It was a slow proccess but the boat is much stronger for it and it was a far less traumatic repair than digging the old plates out from the skin of the boat. The whole business came in just over 1000 if I remember right.
Roger at Pipeworks does great work for reasonable money and is a really nice guy. A bit of a commute from San Diego though...

Good luck getting away Z... we are out for local shakedown cruising at the end of this month when we will be done with stanchions, whaleboards and companionway hatch! Not going south yet just Santa Barbara to San Diego and points between harbor hopping.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 20:31   #25

butler--i just learned my main crew could well be out of the picture. this could be interesting....i still have one other soul to torture with this trip---so mebbe i can find one or 2 more just to mazatlan--have had too many offers of late-- we will see what occurs...mebbe a miracle........
when do you think you will be in sin diego? my local shakedown cruise is to mazatlan....
i watched the semi-official formosa owners training film. i know allll about it.
if it's gonna happen, it will happen out there....
tager-- i think i will be making a complete set of replacement ones of steel--i am not into snotty yotty shine-- gawd knows --i have a FORMOSA!!!!! most arent meant to shine-- just to sail and behave as a ketch should, and to hide in plain sight. perfection with a keel.enough "goo" and plates dont touch the hull anyway... so what is the big deal. next hull color is kinda a redbrownish color...
THAT i would paint shiny..LOL
Old 16-11-2010, 21:55   #26

Boat: Pearson 281
Will be hitting San Diego at least once before Christmas I hope. Maybe can stop by and say hello! My grrl just moved aboard; we're still to the rafters with stuff and begining to learn about negotiating life together in 240 sq ft. aiyeeee. Patience (for both of us!)is the order of the day.
Sounds like you have the Formosa wired, I hope the crew situation pans out!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 23:39   #27

cool-- be cool to meet--s till getting organized here-- this place came with all the possessions of previous owner... so has been an adventure....crew is an interesting concept.. small boating gave "getting to know you" a new depth..LOl......

Tags
san diego