Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 11:37   #1

Replacing costs

I am looking to buy a "Amel" Super Maramu 2000 but would like to know what it would cost to:
Replace the engine
Replace sails
Replace generator
Re-do the bottom
Re-visit electronics
Replace batteries
and any additional big item you may consider.

Thank you so much!
cdepret57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 12:24   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Replacing costs

How much do you have? Seriously, if this much work needs to be done, I'd bet you are missing other big ticket items. How is the rigging, electrical system, steering system?
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:35   #3

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepret57 View Post
I am looking to buy a "Amel" Super Maramu 2000 but would like to know what it would cost to:
Replace the engine $40K
Replace sails $15K
Replace generator $15K
Re-do the bottom $4K
Re-visit electronics $10K
Replace batteries $2K
and any additional big item you may consider. At least $50K

Thank you so much!
My WAG.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 21:37   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

$100,000 + $50,000 contingency
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 11:30   #5

I was hoping to spend about $200K. If you know the replacement cost, that would be great!
Old 26-08-2020, 12:19   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP your question is too vague, and so you'll receive nothing more than wild guesses and be the butt of the odd joke.
You would receive more help stating things a little more specifically.
All of the items you list have significant variables that can dramatically alter any guestimate.

All also have degree as well well. For example in replacing sails are you after a good set of head sails for all conditions.
Will good old dacron do or do you want some go real fast high tech replace every season fabric.
Your batten and reefing preferences may also be a significant factor.

Include 2 or 3 different size gennakers and spinnakers with that?
Does the rig have in mast or boom furling?
And if we're replacing all the sails, what about running rigging and furlers?
And before doing that, for myself, I'd be looking at age of rig.
For insurance where I live must be under 15 years.

You could at least help by stating the existing makes/models thereby giving people some basis.
And perhaps include your preferences. These after all will have the most direct affect on final cost.

Perhaps you've listed motor, batteries, electrics, gen set because you are looking to go green with full electric motor or some hybrid.
Good for you if that's the case! So add in a couple of compostable toilets; they're cheap and easy compared to some of those other things.

And as with so many people buying boats. Why not just buy a boat that has a good motor, good rig, good sails etc already? There are so many out there in great condition, so why buy a project boat (in reality someone else's junk)?

So throw the dogs a few bones and they'll be your friend.
Old 26-08-2020, 14:03   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

If you're going in expecting to have to spend an additional $200k it might make sense to get a different boat that didn't need to have all these things replaced.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...-2000-3541294/
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 05:11   #8

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepret57 View Post
I was hoping to spend about $200K. If you know the replacement cost, that would be great!

Don't worry, you won't have a problem doing that.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 12:18   #9

Indeed I should have clarified my post. I am not looking to replace any of the items I mentioned. I just want to know what the overall cost would be in order to have a better understanding. As an example, if an engine has a general life expectancy of 3.000 hours and has been run for 2.000 hours I can use $40K*2/3 of the cost as a bargaining tool. If total basic new set of sails has a cost of $20K and needs to be replaced, I can also use this as a bargaining tool. I would not if the boat never had a Spinnaker and I am looking to install one. The question would better apply to current or previous owners or people who know the boat. If I had to replace everything, I would be more concerned about the overall condition of the boat. Thank you all.
Old 27-08-2020, 13:46   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

CF is not the place to ask. The place to ask are the agents / boatyards that will be doing the haul-out.

Costs vary wildly with countries, boatyards and regions.

Place requests for quotes with the engine company, sailmakers, boatyard, battery garage, and any other big item agent you will hire, then add up the numbers.

My first guess is it will cost about 100k - with big variation depending on where you do it and who does it.

Mind you will face many boat-specific items - contact Amel for parts availability. Fabrication is always very expensive and risky alternative. (Examples: the drive, the windows, the rollers/furlers, etc.)

Add standing rigging to your top list.

I have done similar jobs on Oyster 72, HR46, and then on a number of smaller boats. You will enjoy it for sure. Allow a year or so.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 13:58   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Old items and you wish list are never a bargaining tool. The discount for age of the boat has been always taken into consideration by the seller.

Not meaning you cannot haggle. Do.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 17:40   #12

Boat: Tartan 28

The surveyor will document very well what the condition of the vessel is down to the last detail. He will tell you wait a fair price is for it, and guide you on the items that need attention, along with estimated replacement cost for negotiation of concessions. If you are buying that kind of boat, a really good surveyor will be not only a requirement, but your best friend. That said, posts #3 is a pretty good guess IMO.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote