Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2023, 09:03   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: replacing interior wall

I had a leaky teaky. Leaks everywhere but I loved that boat. Survey said among all the rot spots he found there was 1 little rot spot in the aft deck the size of a quarter. Just dig it out, fill with epoxy. No big deal. After ripping off the pilothouse and doing that project I thought, lets just open this up to be sure. Proverbial tip of the iceberg. The entire cockpit was rotted out and had to be replaced.

Your bulkheads are rotten. That means your plywood sub deck is worse. All of it needs to go. This rot you have is actually living spores. Where the rot ends, or appears to, the spores can be busy 6 feet further down the board which looks perfect now but won't be in a few years.

After owning and repairing my boat for 15 years the lesson learned with leaky teakys is this. They look classic, beautiful when maintained and noone ever maintains them to the level they need to be so now you have the problems you face. The best solution is a bit drastic. Rip the entire deck off, throw it away. Replace any bulkheads, stringers whatever that even look like they have rot. Fiberglass a new deck on top. No teak decks. My subdeck was plywood covered in 1/4" fiberglass which was punctured by a couple thousand holes to screw the teak deck down and that is the problem.

I just got done building a hard dodger/bimini for my catamaran. Needed to be able to be walked on and handle the loads of the mainsheet. The product I finally used was Carboncore. Super lightweight and strong as hell. I think someone may have replaced a transom with it on you tube. Call Tommy and explain your issues and desires. He knows his stuff and will guide you on what is possible and how to do it.
https://www.carbon-core.com/products...els/composite/
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 16:39   #17

Boat: Presto 36

Pressure treated plywood, skinned with the covering of your choice.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 16:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Pressure treated plywood, skinned with the covering of your choice.
All the pressure treated plywood I can find says ... "The spruce plywood is used for wall, flooring and roofing projects, both interior or exterior. It may contain small knots, knotholes or other imperfections." This does no come close to the structural requirements filled by "marine ply" which have no such defects.
Old 25-08-2023, 16:57   #19

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Marine ply with an epoxy sealant like 2 pack Initernational Epiglass Everdure wood sealer or similar. https://www.boat.net.nz/products/eve...22989602259029
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 17:41   #20

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg5 View Post
gotta older taiwanese sailboat with some rotten walls from decks leaks.
Can you post some pics?
The info you posted is really vague, not enough to establish a baseline for repair work.
Which bulkheads?
Are they simply dividing up some interior space(s), or are they under structural loading?
The original plywood on the Vagabond is most likely a Mahogany core.
The deck leaks are "par for the course" on most any Tiawan boat of that vintage, they would be my first concern/plan of attack.
Old 25-08-2023, 17:49   #21

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have just replaced one of our bulkheads, but it's the one that carries the chainplate so we used 21mm form ply bonded with 7 layers of glass + 3 layers of carbon fibre

5m2 of glass + 2m2 carbon + 7L of epoxy (bear in mind we are a cat so the bulkhead is only about 1m wide x 2m high)

this thing ain't goin no-where !

cheers,
Old 25-08-2023, 18:34   #22

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I'm doing our new fitout in PVC honeycomb core panels, glassed.on either side. Incredibly.strong, light.and cheap. And surprisingly easy to work with.
Old 26-08-2023, 01:10   #23

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
All the pressure treated plywood I can find says ... "The spruce plywood is used for wall, flooring and roofing projects, both interior or exterior. It may contain small knots, knotholes or other imperfections." This does no come close to the structural requirements filled by "marine ply" which have no such defects.
Then simply increase the thickness of the required panel. All those small knots, knotholes and other imperfections will still be far stronger than that rotten marine plywood, with no such defects, except, of course, its total lack of water resistance.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior