Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 10:31   #1

Boat: Contest Yachts 35S 35'
Replacing Pedestal Guard on older Whitlock Pedestal

Hello All,

I purchased a 1991 Contest 35s this past October, and I'm considering moving the Garmin 740 GPSmap plotter and the Raymarine ST60 wind, depth and speed gauges, to a pod configuration, installed on the pedestal guard. However, I see that most manufacturers of these pods have them for pedestal guards with a width of 9.5" and 12" only. The width of the Whitlock pedestal on my Contest 35s is 12.5". (The label on the pedestal states that it was "Custom Made by Whitlock", but other Contest owners think it may be a Whitlock Cobra model).

I've seen some suggestions that the pedestal guard could be replaced with one that it 12" wide, if you get the proper top plate. So if you've upgraded you pedestal guard, please feel free to identify the parts and methods used. (Or if anyone knows of a pod manufacturer who supports 12.5" width pedestal guards). I know I could attach a clamp on style of navigation pod to one bar, but I'm looking to install the ones which secures to both bars.

Finally, this is a 1991 boat and I suppose there's always the option of simply replacing the entire steering pedestal. At this point, the pedestal compass and folding table need to be entirely replaced, I want to replace the steering wheel with a collapsible wheel, and the paint is showing signs of blistering. I figure at the minimum I should probably remove the pedestal, have it powder coated, and then rebuild it before installing any electronics. Maybe it would be worth it to simply replace the whole thing?

Thanks,

Jason
jasn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedestal