Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2022, 17:02   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Replacing standing rigging leaving mast up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
With respect as are talking about a calm day in a marina

Less and less keel stepped masts about these days anyway.
I understand that. I still feel that keel stepped is safer and stronger. Stuff happens.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 17:03   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Replacing standing rigging leaving mast up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
A keel stepped mast will stay up if the temporary forestay or backstay fails. I just feel more comfortable with that extra insurance. When I replaced my rigging - all rod rigging, it was on temporary shrouds for three weeks while it was being replicated, including the round trip shipping.

I just feel safer with seven feet of the mast inside the the boat and held in place. I have always felt that keel stepped masts are safer in the event of a rigging failure.

Not a rerig situation but around 2005 my forestay chainplate snapped from metal fatigue. I was beating hard at the time. The mast shook, the sail, roller furling and forestay were all toast but the mast stayed up. It was 250 miles downwind to get back to the Azores to do the repairs.
Fair enough, we have different risk profiles and thanks for your explanation.

I'm happy if I rig the temporary stays myself but that is no reason for you to feel the same
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rigging