Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 12:14   #1

Replacing teak handrail s with stainless tube

After years of redoing my teak handrails I’ve decided to replace them with stainless tube and the ss collar to deck stanchions that are all over the marine sellers inventory. I like the collar type stanchions because i can slide them along the tube so that the stanchion bottoms will line up with the position of the teak rail mounting holes along my cabin top.
So far so good but i need fore and aft extending single hole preferably 90 degree stanchion bases to match my common teak rails single holes which were mounted just to the side of the cabin top non skid which is slightly raised about 3/4” inboard beside the teak single hole mount area on the cabin top and are mabout 14” apart.
Most of the ss handrail stanchions are double hole side to side mount which wouldn’t match up with my single holes in the cabin top and which would extend over the non skid raised area as well and seem really low to the deck anyway.
So first question is, does anyone know of ss single 90 degree stanchions that can be slid along the tube rail to match single hole teak mount areas???? Seems like a huge market for these!
After spending hours looking for such i comsidered trimming the base sides of some ebay mounts so as not to extend over my non skid and then welding or brazing a 1/4" thick ss plate foot to the bottom of these with a hole mating up with my existing cabin hole. Tigging ss really discolors it tho as does brazing to a lesserdegree and i know nothing of how well brazed ss joints stand up to salt water.
Anyone with experience in altering one of these?????
Thanks and stay safe!!
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak