Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2012, 09:10   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Repowering

I,just removed my Yanmar 4JH3E.I,am not 100% sure of actual hours hour meter shows 2700.Recently I,completed a 1300 mile trip bringing the boat home no oil consumption or any other problems during the trip engin performed fine.I,removed the engin to clean the bilge beyond filthy,I,was assisted by my local Yanmar dealed while out I,wanted to have the engin completly serviced,upon removal and inspection.hesuggest rebuilding injector pump ,injectors removing heat exchanger for cleaning inspection,new fresh and raw water pumps plus a slew of minor items,I,retrospect all necessary.The Trans is almost new as the old one went south and was replaced in Dec 2011,just prior to bringing the boat home.As ststed above the engin performed fine for 1300 miles.I,do not beleive he is trying to sell me a new Yanmar since his profit would be as great servicing the old one as selling me a new one,My expense would be appx 4000.00 more to put a new Yanmar in after selling the old engin,
Now the new Yanmar 4JH5E has less HP 50 from 56,I,have read a few post that the 3E is a Better engin than the 5E in some respects,I,plan on doing a lot of offshore sailing in the future.Which will be the wiser investement,and is the 3E better than the 5e?
All of your input will be Greatly Appreciated.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 09:39   #2

Re: Repowering

Sounds like you've got a good engine. I wouldnt touch the injector pump. I would clean and paint as necessary. Reseal any leaks, check the brushes in the starter and buy the two water pumps as spares. Have the injectors cleaned and tested. call it good. JMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 10:07   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The knock on the 4JH3E is that it is very difficult to access the impeller. If there is a bulkhead on the left side it is darn near impossible as the impeller is under the alternator. Some say it's easier to remove the whole pump rather than just replacing the impeller. The newer version of this engine has the impeller right in the front, a snap to check and replace. But if the old one did you fine in the past it's a big chunk of change to get a new one just because the impeller's easier to replace.
Old 16-07-2012, 11:21   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I agree with Cheechako. If the engine starts easily cold and you burn little oil then the core engine is fine. And injector pumps rarely fail.

So pop test the injectors and rebuild or replace as necessary. Clean the heat exchanger, replace the injection elbow, buy a new water pump">raw water pump as a spare, clean and paint. All for about $2,000.

And run it for another 2,700 hours.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:55   #5

I forgot: rplace the impeller too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 14:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Hey Guys replaced the impeller brfore I,left MD,removed altenator,access wasn't too bad 2 busted knuckles about 2 hours startt to finish,hardest job was geting the old impeller out and new one in.I,work slow.I,am just cruniching numbers repair old engin cost vs new engin vs what I,can sell the old one for.They tell me around 3 k,I,question that.
Thanks for the input
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:00   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I agree with all the above !! sounds like you have a good sound engine!! test and clean injectors as needed, fix any and all leaks,"seals gaskets ect" clean and paint engine and bilge, clean heat exchanger, replace impellers, get a couple of spare impellers . And go cruiseing ! at least thats what we would do !!!
Old 16-07-2012, 15:25   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

My experience with diesels is they are either good guys that seem to go on for ever, or else they are bad asses that will break down every two weeks.

If you have the 'go on for ever' unit, probably stick with it.

I would not replace nor fix any major parts unless they are worn or evidently ailing. On our 30 y.o. VP we replaced, over last 10 years, only one part - the elbow.

If it ain't broken ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote