Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 15:41   #1

Boat: Westerly, Corsair, 36
Resealing new acrylic in fixed window

I have a Westerly Corsair and have replaced the smaller fixed windows with new acrylic. The original rubber seal has deteriorated but I tried using the original seals and adding silicone. Two of the four I did are leaking.

The aluminum channel is 1/2 inch wide, and so far the only replacement I've found is in England, where the boat was manufactured. It's called "extruded rubber seal for fixed window", and is 3mm thick. If all went well I've attached a picture of the replacement seal and my channel.

Thanks for reading this far! I'm hoping to find a replacement here in the US or other ideas which might work.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixed window rubber insert.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	174786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_183142.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	174787  

Kismet36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 19:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Re: Resealing new acrylic in fixed window

try an auto body shop-- they may well have something that will work- if not could you fill the channel with butyl tape, push the acrylic in and then trim the excess- would be easy and cheap to try
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 20:25   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Butyl tape or caulk is the best for long life and flexibility.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:15   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Maybe this type? It does not need to be exactly the same as long as it does the job of keeping the water out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=1dzt1iy
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Try a good auto glass/windshield replace shop to see what they have or try the search terms for a "marine window channel". Other places to look beside McMasters would be some local smaller older marine parts stores (not WM, Defender) that still carry rolls of various port gaskets, etc.

It's been a while, but I've seen similar type channels sold in the US, so keep looking. The search may take you a while.

If the replacements are still available it may be worth it vs. attempting to use something close and then not working as well in the long run. Could save a lot of time/effort.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

The AdvanTec Store: Gaskets & Tracks/Windows/T-Bar Gasket
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18   #7

Boat: Wellcraft Steplift V20 / Ericson 27

We found a place in New England, CT I think. They sell it by the 100’ roll. I got lucky and a friend at my club had just bought a roll. They will sell you a sample selection if you are not sure which one you need. The cost is very reasonable so that even buying far more than you need doesn’t break the bank. My friend would not take anything for the stuff he gave me. BTW I believe it is called neoprene glazing.
aa1bflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45   #8

Boat: C-26

On my 6 ports, I used shower door glazing from Ace Hardware. I believe it was a 50' roll, maybe 100. Been 10 years and no leaks. But it was not easy getting it pressed into the channel. I ended up spreading the channel slightly then hammering it back with a rubber mallet.
Not a job I ever want to do again. Good luck.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:38   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

For US boats, catalinadirect.com sells a rebuild kit for large fixed ports that were used on by many different manufacturers, not just Catalina's, from the '60s and beyond. Know the same aluminum extrusion, seal, and 3/16" glazing was used on my '69 Pearson, '76 Sabre and probably many others. You might carefully measure your frame and contact Catalina Direct to see if their fix kit will work with your extrusion. Their Kit is a length of new rubbery 'U' strip to fit into the aluminum extruded frame and seal the plexiglass, Dow 795 sealant for sealing the Plexiglass into the rubbery 'U' seal and the seal into the aluminum extrusion, and a tube of 3M 4200 to seal the aluminum frame to the cabin side.

The kit works with 3/16" thick glazing but not much thicker. Apparently there was 3/16" safety glass available in the past but no longer. The thinnest safety glass is now thicker than 3/16" and won't work with the old aluminum channel frame. It's fairly easy to do the rebuild with a helper. Wouldn't want to do it solo, my third and fourth hands are sadly lacking. The 795 silicone is easy to clean up with just paper towels unlike the typical silcone sealant. Used butyl tape from Mainesail to seal the port to the cabin sides.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 21:30   #10

Boat: Westerly, Corsair, 36

Thanks for all the replies and PMs. I've mostly used 4200 or similar to seal the frame to the fiberglass, but on this one I had used butyl tape. It was not easy to remove when I had to do this over. It might work to seal in the acrylic though.
Kismet36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, wind