Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2011, 16:06   #31

Boat: Venture 22
Re: Restoration: Venture 22 (MacGregor)

Re: Swing Keel Wobble:
Just a wild guess, I wonder if you could fit a rubber guide (something like the one on the front of the trailer) to the forward end of the keel well. If you keep the keel lift taunt, it might solve your wobble and save the bolt as well.
SeamanLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 20:59   #32

Boat: Macgregor 22, "Skald"

I was thinking more along the line of giant washers made out of cutting board polyethelene, machined down to size... like 8 or 10 inches across.
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 14:13   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Always nice to hear a story progressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
I also discovered how baggy my main really is, and that I need a new one and a 150% genoa before next season.
Not sure if you mean New as in brand spanking new - but no need to do that, with the (right!) measurements all you are looking for is s/h sails - don't have to be specifically for a Venture 22.

Quote:
The boom bothers me, because there linkage between it and the mast looks bent and somewhat compromised. In light winds it's not a problem, but by this fall when things pick up, I think I'd like something else in place. I'd like to not have to replace the whole boom, but rather the fittings for it, so if anyone has a source beyond the obvious (baconsails, ebay, craigslist) I'd love to hear about it.
It won't be a boom replacement (unless you find one cheap - with the fittings in place ).....Again, (fittings / Boom) don't need to be specifically for a Venture 22, just the right size (ish).

Quote:
About the only thing I inherently dislike about the boat is how awkward it is to step down into the cockpit from anywhere forward. There's just no good way of doing it without taking a massive step, it seems, unless one goes very wide outside, but just inside the shrouds. I can't think of an obvious solution, either, besides just getting used to it.
Some non-slip pads might be useful - and maybe another (raised?) grab handle?

Quote:
And twice, with my novice crew, they released the forestay shackle mistaking it for the jib shackle... fortunately we didn't crash the mast, but I was in full panic shouting mode twice, and really need to "safe" that system before going out again with someone unfamiliar with my rigging.
That shouldn't be a shackle..........

......but in the interim some electrical tape would solve the confusion.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 15:17   #34

Boat: Macgregor 22, "Skald"

DOJ, what I have for the forestay is a snap shackle, since this is a trailer sailboat, and I need to step the mast every time I go out. If it were in the water long-term, I would have a more permanent fixture on there for sure. But I appreciate the suggestion of tape - I had a similar idea, something to wrap the gate with to discourage accidental openings.

On the boom fixture, I'm not entirely sure how to replace it alone. I need to get up there to clean some things out from this trip, and I'll try to take some pictures of what I'm talking about.

As for my sails, they are, by definition, second hand since they came with a 40-year old boat, and I'm not sure how to tell how "crisp" a replacement set would be without actually raising them under wind. My jib is standard size, and adequately flat for its work, but a larger genoa for lighter winds would be nice. Off to Bacon to shop, I guess, this winter. Maybe I can scare up a boom attachment fitting while I'm there. And a main sail with mast track lugs instead of a bolt rope, so I can lower without removing it completely from the mast. That'd be nice.

BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 07:55   #35

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Restoration: Venture 22 (Macgregor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamanLou View Post
We just mix up two part resin with saw dust to thicken it. Works fine, seals tight, and permanent.
He he, muffin mix, gotta love it!
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 22:13   #36

Boat: Venture 21'
Thanks for sharing your story... I bought a V-21 a few years ago and have been slowly putting her back to shape.... I got her for a similiar price... my wife and I are putting the hardware back on her (interlux top and bottom)... very encouraging to hear about your project...thanks for posting!
sanjuanman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor, restoration