Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 01:26   #46

Boat: 1983 Cape Dory Cutter 30'
Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

"Of course, if you just want a floating apartment, you could just slap some glass on the leaky bits and she'd be good to go, but woe to anyone who unknowingly gets her after you're done and unwittingly takes her out in challenging conditions..."

I am wanting a boat for me and my GF, and plan to sail everywhere. I am also looking at a 1977 Fuji 32 that has never seen salt water. If this cat is not a good choice the Fuji may be. Thanks so much for your words and everyone else's. I am not giving up yet on this boat, will see.
valleyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:07   #47

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'll put on my protective gear now, before you all read this post.

Yes, it's fixable. Nearly everything is.

I'm not there, in person to inspect, so this is off the cuff.

1. Check to see if the hull is cored around the keels. It'll be easier to fix, for an amateur, if it's solid glass. But I'd suggest getting that part done professionally.
2. Most of what I saw on deck looks cosmetic (I did not zoom in to check closely)
3. As mentioned before now, that boat would already have been sold, if were an easy repair. So expect the worst, and be suspicious of what a seller/broker tells you.
4. I'm also a strong believer in not owing money, so I have an idea of your motivation, as that was also a strong motivator for us to build our own boat.
5. Have a repair outfit give you a detailed quote, they'll be better than a surveyor to find things that need repair. I don't have much faith in surveyors, there are very few who know what they're talking about. They just run around listing what they see, for the most part.
6. Be sure they know it's a detailed survey/quote you want, you'll have to pay for it, but you can have them do the keel repair, and take care of the rest yourself, if you like the quote. This way they'll hopefully find everything that needs repair, so you'll have a detailed list.
7. I'd suggest the keel be repaired by an experienced glasser, and hopefully to a better standard than the original build. I'm repeating myself, I know, but this part's quite important.
8. Fixing boats is messy work, see it in person, and decide if you can live on it while fixing it. Nobody knows what you're willing to tolerate, but you.
9. I won't comment much on finances, you'll have to decide it's value, using the repair quote and purchase price. Most boats are overpriced, so be careful on your estimate of what it'll be worth in the end.
10. Jim has some good points, re finances. Do your research on the value of things before jumping in. $20,000 for a used mast is on the high side.

I guess that's all for now. I'd also like you to read my signature below, for an idea about my general line of thinking. If you disagree with the signature, you should probably ignore my comments above.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:23   #48

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
"Of course, if you just want a floating apartment, you could just slap some glass on the leaky bits and she'd be good to go, but woe to anyone who unknowingly gets her after you're done and unwittingly takes her out in challenging conditions..."

I am wanting a boat for me and my GF, and plan to sail everywhere. I am also looking at a 1977 Fuji 32 that has never seen salt water. If this cat is not a good choice the Fuji may be. Thanks so much for your words and everyone else's. I am not giving up yet on this boat, will see.
Freshwater Fuji 32......

This is a classic Alden ketch. Designed for offshore sailing. Salt water boats always age at a much faster rate than freshwater. Assuming she is for sale cheap for some of the reasons in my earlier reply: a neglected boat that's owner is either tired of paying storage bills on, or a project that's owner has run out of energy to finish; she could be the boat for you.

Again, do not underestimate the amount of work and money involved. Count on having to do extensive electrical, plumbing, and other work. And do not pay the asking price. Drive a hard bargain and good luck.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:10   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I dont have the money. I am offering $8k down and they carry the remainder with No interest (I do not believe in usury, neither did Jesus or any other religion until modern times). I have $$ to put into fixing it up/ buying parts though. I will fly in to the boat and have a surveyor before I do anything, not going to make a mistake.

Does the owner of the boat realize you don’t want to carry insurance on her? May change his mind about owner financing.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:05   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
...Yes, it's fixable. Nearly everything is.

I'm not there, in person to inspect, so this is off the cuff.

1. Check to see if the hull is cored around the keels. It'll be easier to fix, for an amateur, if it's solid glass. But I'd suggest getting that part done professionally.
2. Most of what I saw on deck looks cosmetic (I did not zoom in to check closely)
3. As mentioned before now, that boat would already have been sold, if were an easy repair. So expect the worst, and be suspicious of what a seller/broker tells you.
4. I'm also a strong believer in not owing money, so I have an idea of your motivation, as that was also a strong motivator for us to build our own boat.
5. Have a repair outfit give you a detailed quote, they'll be better than a surveyor to find things that need repair. I don't have much faith in surveyors, there are very few who know what they're talking about. They just run around listing what they see, for the most part.
6. Be sure they know it's a detailed survey/quote you want, you'll have to pay for it, but you can have them do the keel repair, and take care of the rest yourself, if you like the quote. This way they'll hopefully find everything that needs repair, so you'll have a detailed list.
7. I'd suggest the keel be repaired by an experienced glasser, and hopefully to a better standard than the original build. I'm repeating myself, I know, but this part's quite important.
8. Fixing boats is messy work, see it in person, and decide if you can live on it while fixing it. Nobody knows what you're willing to tolerate, but you.
9. I won't comment much on finances, you'll have to decide it's value, using the repair quote and purchase price. Most boats are overpriced, so be careful on your estimate of what it'll be worth in the end.
10. Jim has some good points, re finances. Do your research on the value of things before jumping in. $20,000 for a used mast is on the high side.

I guess that's all for now. I'd also like you to read my signature below, for an idea about my general line of thinking. If you disagree with the signature, you should probably ignore my comments above.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
Thank you so much for this reply. I am not like most people out there, so I take advice as more info to work with, not my decision. I am 51 years into this life with lots more to go unless I get shot or run over by a truck. I have practiced a life of not using comforts like AC and other things that have made us weak as a society, so I feel I can handle the heat and discomfort of living on this boat. I have worked with fiberglass insulation before and remember the fibers going into my pores, not good, will have to be as protected as possible from that. I will be taking the good advice in here and writing it down for use as I go along, whether I buy this boat or not. Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:06   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
If you can dream it; with grit, you can do it.
Me 100%!!! Thanks friend.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
Freshwater Fuji 32......

This is a classic Alden ketch. Designed for offshore sailing. Salt water boats always age at a much faster rate than freshwater. Assuming she is for sale cheap for some of the reasons in my earlier reply: a neglected boat that's owner is either tired of paying storage bills on, or a project that's owner has run out of energy to finish; she could be the boat for you.

Again, do not underestimate the amount of work and money involved. Count on having to do extensive electrical, plumbing, and other work. And do not pay the asking price. Drive a hard bargain and good luck.
Thank you for the sound advice. The Fuji looks to be in great shape actually. It was donated and looks sharp, will see tomorrow...
Old 05-04-2020, 09:09   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Does the owner of the boat realize you don’t want to carry insurance on her? May change his mind about owner financing.
I dont think I will be carrying insurance on a wrecked boat, would you? When I am done with restoring it (if) I will then look at insuring, if they will do so for a reasonable price.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:17   #54
smj

restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Quote:
I dont think I will be carrying insurance on a wrecked boat, would you? When I am done with restoring it (if) I will then look at insuring, if they will do so for a reasonable price.

I’m guessing until you pay the boat of it will be in the present owners name? I’m pretty sure he would insist on full coverage to cover the costs if the boat caused others damage and to also protect his investment which he is selling to you.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:23   #55

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I’m guessing until you pay the boat of it will be in the present owners name? I’m pretty sure he would insist on full coverage to cover the costs if the boat caused others damage and to also protect his investment which he is selling to you.
This part could be more tricky than the repairs.

Getting this deal to work will be difficult. The seller needs to be protected from you burning the boat down or something while fixing it up.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:27   #56

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the seller knows what to do, and if insurance is required I will be handling it. "Thanks dad".
Old 05-04-2020, 09:31   #57
smj

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the seller knows what to do, and if insurance is required I will be handling it. "Thanks dad".

No need to be condescending, it’s an honest question and most sellers that are gutsy enough to owner finance a boat I’m sure have thought about this. I sure wouldn’t take the risk of even owner financing a boat unless the payoff was to great to turn down.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:34   #58

Quote:
No need to be condescending, it’s an honest question and most sellers that are gutsy enough to owner finance a boat I’m sure have thought about this. I sure wouldn’t take the risk of even owner financing a boat unless the payoff was to great to turn down.
You are being nosey, so I am replying. I am asking about fixing the boat up, if its even worth it, and you are worried about the seller of the wrecked boat? No thanks is my reply.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:36   #59
smj

Quote:
You are being nosey, so I am replying. I am asking about fixing the boat up, if its even worth it, and you are worried about the seller of the wrecked boat? No thanks is my reply.

I’m being realistic as there are 2 sides to a deal, both buyer and seller.
Ok, about fixing the boat up. If all you can come up with is $8k as a down payment your project is destined to fail.
All better now?
Old 05-04-2020, 09:39   #60

Quote:
I’m being realistic as there are 2 sides to a deal, both buyer and seller.
Ok, about fixing the boat up. If all you can come up with is $8k as a down payment your project is destined to fail.
All better now?
I have a lot more than that, but I know I will need it to bring the boat back to greatness.

Tags
catamaran, hurricane